Putting the black belt on a pedestal

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's a relief. I was trying to picture a shiny golden color pair of 12 oz boxing gloves in some of the boxing gyms I've been to. I'm thinking, "that would have to be one quick/tough mother ff'r.....with real good insurance." :)

This was meant to follow post #138. I just type slow.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It means your obsessed with the black belt and you need to just let it go
Sure I will, once I get some answers. When Im obsessed with something, I don't move on until I get it resolved. For instance, why would a dojo allow students to sign up for belt tests for other belts but not be allowed to sign up for the black belt test until they're told?

Or for that matter, why would a sensei make it much harder to go from brown to black (assuming brown is the belt right before black) than it is to go up other belts?

If anything, its senseis who have systems like that who are obsessed with the black belt and that is what I mean by "putting the black belt on a pedestal."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure I will, once I get some answers. For instance, why would a dojo allow students to sign up for belt tests for other belts but not be allowed to sign up for the black belt test until they're told?

Or for that matter, why would a sensei make it much harder to go from brown to black (assuming brown is the belt right before black) than it is to go up other belts?

If anything, its senseis who have systems like that who are obsessed with the black belt and that is what I mean by "putting the black belt on a pedestal."
You got your answers pages and pages and pages and topic after topic worth of answers. Go ask YOUR sensei these questions since every school is different

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You got your answers pages and pages and pages and topic after topic worth of answers. Go ask YOUR sensei these questions since every school is different
I see, so what you're saying is that every sensei runs their dojo a certain way and they've got reasons for doing it so why a sensei might require students to wait until they're told they can take the black belt test but sign up for other belt tests or why they might make the black belt test much harder than the brown belt test is that it would depend on the sensei why they do it like that.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sure I will, once I get some answers. When Im obsessed with something, I don't move on until I get it resolved. For instance, why would a dojo allow students to sign up for belt tests for other belts but not be allowed to sign up for the black belt test until they're told?

I think you may have missed the point that not all schools do it the way you described it. In Okinawan Goju for example the black belt test is very simple and not a test beyond showing a basic understanding. The fact that you have progressed to that level is part of your grading. To me there is little difference between 1st Kyu, Shodan Ho, and Shodan.

It is nice to have a black belt because to me it does demonstrate the level you have reached within your own style or organisation and that is all it means. But if you reach a black belt in one organisation and then claim it is worth a third dan in another organisation then you're just blowing smoke up your ****! :penguin:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see, so what you're saying is that every sensei runs their dojo a certain way and they've got reasons for doing it so why a sensei might require students to wait until they're told they can take the black belt test but sign up for other belt tests or why they might make the black belt test much harder than the brown belt test is that it would depend on the sensei why they do it like that.
And that's a yes from me too!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it was about boxing. Some boxing schools do use a ranking system of some sort from what I know where golden gloves is the highest rank. I don't know if fighters wear certain colored gloves depending on their rank though, golden gloves might simply be a title where the fighter doesn't literally wear golden gloves.
You're making a pretty big claim there. Mostly, boxing gloves come in black, red, blue, and white. Some brown, and I know there are some pink lines out now. Hard to assemble much of a ranking system that way. And why would you? It'd get expensive pretty quick, buying new gloves every advancement. As others have said, the Golden Gloves are the top amateur competitions -- not a club based ranking. None of us have ever heard of a ranking system like that in boxing. Sure, fighters are "ranked" as in who's better than whom, based on records, mostly, and fighting reputation a little. But that's not a "you're a white glove fighter until this happens..." There are also some kickboxing schools with ranking systems that they've developed -- but those are typically belts, like in martial arts.

So... can you provide any support for the idea that there is a boxing club out there with ranking like that?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes it was about boxing. Some boxing schools do use a ranking system of some sort from what I know where golden gloves is the highest rank. I don't know if fighters wear certain colored gloves depending on their rank though, golden gloves might simply be a title where the fighter doesn't literally wear golden gloves.

Name one. As in, provide the name of one boxing school that uses a ranking structure that has a Golden Glove or any other color glove as a top level rank.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Get your answers from your instructor, stop asking the same question again and again and again here. Remember when I said that "Let It Go" is a fine song but it is annoying to hear repetitively? The same holds true of your harping on this topic. Ask your instructor, get resolution, move on with your life.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great song. Great video. But what does it have to do with the discussion at hand?

It's advice. Good advice. Advice you've been given many times before.
I think the hope was that maybe THIS time you'd get it.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The best part of all this - you are going to earn your black belt. I'd bet my last buck on it. You're stubborn. Stubborn is a good thing, a damn good thing actually, while on your quest to make rank. You need stubborn, you need balls, you need patience.

You got the stubborn, if you got the other two, you're golden, bro. Be nice to see where it goes from there.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get your answers from your instructor, stop asking the same question again and again and again here. Remember when I said that "Let It Go" is a fine song but it is annoying to hear repetitively? The same holds true of your harping on this topic. Ask your instructor, get resolution, move on with your life.

When somebody says to "Let It Go" what that sounds like is, if you got an issue speak your mind. Open your mouth and use it. Let It Go, another words is synonymous with Let It Out. Say what you got to say and get people to listen to you. Don't hold it in. As a matter of fact, let it go sounds like the opposite of hold it in.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. That is quite frankly the opposite of what "Let it go" means… it is absolutely not synonymous with "let it out"… it means "drop it and move on".

Okay?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When somebody says to "Let It Go" what that sounds like is, if you got an issue speak your mind. Open your mouth and use it. Let It Go, another words is synonymous with Let It Out. Say what you got to say and get people to listen to you. Don't hold it in. As a matter of fact, let it go sounds like the opposite of hold it in.

You've never given us any reason to think that English is not your native language, so I really have no idea how you can possibly be this wrong.

It means "Get over it. Drop it and move on. " It absolutely does not, by any rational stretch of the imagination, mean "tell us the same thing yet again".

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
why do I feel I'm listening to a broken record or that my tape recorder is broken and keeps repeating itself

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're making a pretty big claim there. Mostly, boxing gloves come in black, red, blue, and white. Some brown, and I know there are some pink lines out now. Hard to assemble much of a ranking system that way. And why would you? It'd get expensive pretty quick, buying new gloves every advancement. As others have said, the Golden Gloves are the top amateur competitions -- not a club based ranking. None of us have ever heard of a ranking system like that in boxing. Sure, fighters are "ranked" as in who's better than whom, based on records, mostly, and fighting reputation a little. But that's not a "you're a white glove fighter until this happens..." There are also some kickboxing schools with ranking systems that they've developed -- but those are typically belts, like in martial arts.

So... can you provide any support for the idea that there is a boxing club out there with ranking like that?

I briefly took boxing years ago and at the gym where I trained they talked about Golden Gloves as a certain top level of competition. I never did compete in boxing and thinking back I believe Golden Gloves was only a title, not actual literal gloves that were golden in color. At the gym everybody used red gloves. At the time I might've mistaken it for actual gloves but now I believe it was just a level of competition.

I do know that Savate, a French form of kickboxing does have a level called Silver Gloves, but Im not sure if that's just a title, level of competition, or if it involves actual silver colored gloves.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've never given us any reason to think that English is not your native language, so I really have no idea how you can possibly be this wrong.

It means "Get over it. Drop it and move on. " It absolutely does not, by any rational stretch of the imagination, mean "tell us the same thing yet again".

You know something Dirty Dog, I've learned to not let what you post here get to me. I really shouldn't care what you post so instead of letting what you say get on my nerves, I am just going to let it roll off like water off a duck's back. You don't take what I say seriously? Well I don't take what you say seriously either.

Latest Discussions