Old style rank system

Bushidofryer70

White Belt
Reaction score
I was curious if any schools out there still use the 4 belt system( white,green,brown and black)?
My style does. With 6 steps per belt denoted by stripes in the color of the next belt. Black belt ranks work like everyone else's- 1st through 10 dan.
This system while unusual, is helpful in keeping students motivated by allowing you to adjust between 1 and 3 stripes per promotion period. A change in belt color is treated as a more in depth evaluation to better prepare students for eventual Black Belt test. The only drawback I've seen is at tournaments our plain brown belts( takes 2- 3 years) are equivalent to only purple or even green belts of other styles so they have to compete against more experienced people. But overall the system works well and keeps costs down by only buying 3 belts as opposed to 8 or 9. So has anyone seen a similar system or use one like it themselves?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We are close.
White, orange, green, blue, brown, black.
Only use stripes for kids classes. Kids also have gold belt between white and orange.
Three degrees of brown, no stripes.
Ten degrees of black, no stripes.
6th Dan and up can wear red/white panel belt if they wish.
8th Dan and up can wear red belt if they wish.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use the White, Green, Brown then Black belt ranking system.

But, we've no stripes. And, for some reason, as the instructor I buy the belts. I've no clue how that happened, but my aikido instructor did so as well.

Definitely NOT the KMA way, eh!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was curious if any schools out there still use the 4 belt system( white,green,brown and black)?
My style does. With 6 steps per belt denoted by stripes in the color of the next belt. Black belt ranks work like everyone else's- 1st through 10 dan.
This system while unusual, is helpful in keeping students motivated by allowing you to adjust between 1 and 3 stripes per promotion period. A change in belt color is treated as a more in depth evaluation to better prepare students for eventual Black Belt test. The only drawback I've seen is at tournaments our plain brown belts( takes 2- 3 years) are equivalent to only purple or even green belts of other styles so they have to compete against more experienced people. But overall the system works well and keeps costs down by only buying 3 belts as opposed to 8 or 9. So has anyone seen a similar system or use one like it themselves?

Mainline NGA uses a white-yellow-blue-green-purple-brown-black progression, with no stripes until black. More belts (not much cost there - only about $5 each) but fewer gradations. I use white-yellow-orange-brown-black, also with no stripes. Like others have said, I pay for the belts. I do it just because it's easier. If I had more students (so more cost in belts), I might make them fork over $5.

OP
B

Bushidofryer70

White Belt
Reaction score
We use the White, Green, Brown then Black belt ranking system.

But, we've no stripes. And, for some reason, as the instructor I buy the belts. I've no clue how that happened, but my aikido instructor did so as well.

Definitely NOT the KMA way, eh!
My Sensei has always bought the belts also. He only makes enough money to pay dojo rent. He loves teaching Karate and thats profit enough for him

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most schools in the ABA still use 4 belts. Some require you to earn your white belt; others award a student patch instead. Most instructors I know pay for their students' belts.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

BJJ uses a similar system although with white through black its 5 belts. The standard BJJ ranking system goes white, blue, purple, brown, black, and then if you're one of the very few and very elite, after many many years of being a black belt in BJJ, you might get a red belt. But the red belt is very rare and I am aware of only a handful of people who have ever achieved it aside from the founder Helio and his son Rorion.

There is no green belt in the BJJ system except for children. The children's ranking system is a bit different and has more belts. You go by the children's system if you're a student under the age of 16.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting we have a ton of colors white - yellow - orange - green -purple - blue-brown-red- black. 3-4 stripes need to be earned to get to each belt.

These colors grouped into beginner (w-Y-O), Intermediate and advanced levels. Testing for stripes is every two months after beginner. Advancing into each level requires a test on all material from each stripe and belt from the previous level.

I am currently preparing to demonstrate for green - which requires me to show all material under white- yellow - Orange belt test material in one multi hour review.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting we have a ton of colors white - yellow - orange - green -purple - blue-brown-red- black. 3-4 stripes need to be earned to get to each belt.

These colors grouped into beginner (w-Y-O), Intermediate and advanced levels. Testing for stripes is every two months after beginner. Advancing into each level requires a test on all material from each stripe and belt from the previous level.

I am currently preparing to demonstrate for green - which requires me to show all material under white- yellow - Orange belt test material in one multi hour review.
That's more testing than I'd be interested in. Nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea, so to speak.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school (Kung fu) the ranking is simple:

No Sash : Noob
Red Sash: Ok
Green Sash : Intermediate
Blue Sash: Assistant instructor
Black Sash: instructor

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to go to a Judo club in Troy NY where the adult belt ranks were different than the kids. Adults seemd to go white, yellow, brown, and then started with black belts (1st degree and on up).

Kids, on the other hand, went like this: white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, and THEN black.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A Swedish pop music group. Very popular in the 70's and 80's :)

Oh no, you're not going to fool me with that one...that was ABBA..... not that I listened to them or anything like that....I...aaaaa...just happen to know that....for some unexplained reason...but I never listened to any of their music....let me make that perfectly clear

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I studied TKD it was white(2), green(2), blue(2), brown(4), and black. I think black belt only went to 8th at that time.

In the Hapkido I studied, it was white(2), yellow(2), blue(2), red(4), black belt. Black belt at that time only went to 8th. There was an attempt at one time to take black belt to 10th, but I think if faltered because of GM disagreement. I don't know if that has changed or not.

Latest Discussions