Putting the black belt on a pedestal

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't see why a dojo would allow students to test or ask to test for all the lower belts but then they have to wait until they're told by their sensei that they can test for black belt. As some people have pointed out, at their dojo you're told when you can test for every belt, not just black but every belt. That would make sense but I don't see why it would be just the black belt test that a student has to be told they can test. If a student does have to be told when they can test than I would think it would apply to all the belts, not just black. If a student signs up or asks to sign up for tests I would think it would apply to all the belts including black.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't see why a dojo would allow students to test or ask to test for all the lower belts but then they have to wait until they're told by their sensei that they can test for black belt. As some people have pointed out, at their dojo you're told when you can test for every belt, not just black but every belt. That would make sense but I don't see why it would be just the black belt test that a student has to be told they can test. If a student does have to be told when they can test than I would think it would apply to all the belts, not just black. If a student signs up or asks to sign up for tests I would think it would apply to all the belts including black.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where's the 'thank you' and the 'I love it' button when you need it!!!!

(Did you know that every single girl in the UK loves and knows the words to that song and will sing it at the drop of a hat!)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this. The only differing of gloves in boxing that I can think of is to delegate different corners in competition, sometimes.

I'm not doubting what you said, I just got to get out more. :)
When I was boxing there were only black gloves. I didn't realise we were all that good. :D

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Where's the 'thank you' and the 'I love it' button when you need it!!!!

(Did you know that every single girl in the UK loves and knows the words to that song and will sing it at the drop of a hat!)

Girls? My eight year old boy can do the entire soundtrack and my 2.5 year old boy has pretty much has "Let it Go" down pat. Mind you outside of that song he is pretty much limited to four and five word sentances. :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Girls? My eight year old boy can do the entire soundtrack and my 2.5 year old boy has pretty much has "Let it Go" down pat. Mind you outside of that song he is pretty much limited to four and five word sentances. :D

I tend these days as a Girl Guide leader to only see girls lol.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still to this day have never listened to that song and have no plans to

It's pretty awesome when a hundred girls or so burst into singing it spontaneously, I think the words resonate with them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Savate does. But then that is Savate not Boxing.
And, their tights do seem to be sized a bit smaller than even wrestling singlets.

to be fair though it is known as Savate, Boxe Français which may account for an awful lot.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No no no no no. I must not push play

Actually it's not a bad song, I think the girls see something in the words which as I said resonates with them, it's certainly quite a powerful message in there about being your own person and I do think it also fits with the thread....the OP really should let it go now, there's a point when it's gone round and round and now it's pretty much a barren thread.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
to be fair though it is known as Savate, Boxe Français which may account for an awful lot.
This is true Tez. But then isn't the Thai boxing art called Muay Thai which means Thai Boxing? Wing Chun is also known as Chinese Boxing. But we don't consider either as Boxing when speaking of boxing or do you? You maybe correct I at this point can only assume some do and I really dislike assuming.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true Tez. But then isn't the Thai boxing art called Muay Thai which means Thai Boxing? Wing Chun is also known as Chinese Boxing. But we don't consider either as Boxing when speaking of boxing or do you? You maybe correct I at this point can only assume some do and I really dislike assuming.

To be honest I wasn't thinking of the actual boxing when I commented more that if any countries boxer were going to wear lycra it would be the French! sorry!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I wasn't thinking of the actual boxing when I commented more that if any countries boxer were going to wear lycra it would be the French! sorry!
Agreed, all good.
I believe PhotonGuys post on boxing using colored gloves was about Boxing but then I may have misread.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed, all good.
I believe PhotonGuys post on boxing using colored gloves was about Boxing but then I may have misread.
Yes it was about boxing. Some boxing schools do use a ranking system of some sort from what I know where golden gloves is the highest rank. I don't know if fighters wear certain colored gloves depending on their rank though, golden gloves might simply be a title where the fighter doesn't literally wear golden gloves.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it was about boxing. Some boxing schools do use a ranking system of some sort from what I know where golden gloves is the highest rank. I don't know if fighters wear certain colored gloves depending on their rank though, golden gloves might simply be a title where the fighter doesn't literally wear golden gloves.
Are you talking about a golden gloves boxer? Its not a rank like a belt
Official Golden Gloves of America Website

Latest Discussions