Poll: For Instructors

What is your instructor status?

• I own a commercial school and teaching is my only job.

• I own a commercial school and also have a outside full time job.

• I own a commercial school and also have a outside part time job.

• I have a outside fulltime job, and teach at a YMCA, Recreation Dept, Boys Club, Church, college club

• I have a outside full time job and teach at my instructors school.

• I share a commercial school with a instructor who teaches another style.

• I have a outside full time job, and teach at my home.

• I have a outside full time job, and only teach privately, or in seminars.

Results are only viewable after voting.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.R.K.
A bit off topic perhaps, but AKJA mentioned private instruction. For those that do private instruction, how do you like it as opposed to the larger class? What do you charge? How did you get started? How many private lessons do you do? Is it the same curriculem as a larger class?

Private is better because its more detail oriented. My private classes are not like the privates you would take from someone by the hour. I wish I was worth that much!:D

I teach my students according to where their at and what I expect them to learn. Class is as long as it takes, between 1.5 to 2.5 hours on a good day. I was taught in the same fashion by my Sifu and it works well.

I don't currently charge anyone. But thats a temporary thing! :D

The curriculum is the same as if I ran a large class but like fasttrack training. I don't hold back, they get what they can handle. My current students are in my plans for my "growth" as a martial artist and for my buisness.

:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
With discussions on subjects like honesty, intregrity, rank, and such, the discussions have addressed the effect monetary gain has on these things. I was wondering the business status of some of the instructors here. And how they feel about martial arts instruction as a business or vocation.

The club I belong too, is run by me senior in the art.

I teach most of the classes unless I am away or unless he wishes to take over. Then no questions asked by me. :)

I also teach privates out of my home.

I also teach seminars and as guest instructor at a camp or two.

I also have a full time career outside of Martial Arts that I also enjoy.

I wish your poll was multiple choice. :D

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started teaching TKD at a YMCA, when the class I was in branched out to have a children's class; both the adults' and childrens' classes were forced out because other, larger classes needed our space (we were in a racquetball class at the back of the building, so the class didn't grow... go figure...), and I ended up renting for a while.

That ended when the owner of the dance studio sold the business to someone who didn't want any non-dance classes in the studio, and I had to move. I had been having problems with one family paying their dues - the mother didn't think she should have to pay for days her kids couldn't come due to religious holidays (Orthodox Jewish) and never seemed to understand (or care) that I had to pay rent whether her kids showed up or not, so I went looking for a location that would cover the overhead and collect the dues for me.

I found a location at a different YMCA. I was kind of leery about that, given my prior experience, but the Y I'm at now is wonderful, and slowly but steadily, my class is growing. I have 11 students (from a low of 3) and have picked up one or two new students every couple of sessions for the last year (sessions are 7 weeks long), including 3 black belts, 2 of whom started with me as white belts. The cost of the class is $65/session for Y members, and $110 for non-Y members; when I started at the previous Y in 1987, the class was $30/month, so that's a really good rate, especially for members. We are in a room that is on the new-member tour, which helps get new members (in addition to being in the course schedule), and several of my students have brought friends to class, which also helps.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
None of those options apply. I teach TKD for free, and kickboxing for a nominal charge until I can make up some of the advertising costs. I don't have another job, as I have retired from illustration/graphic arts. My last art job was for free, the logo design the instructor uses for the school. And I don't think martial arts is something you can get rich on, on even plan to retire on, just not a money-maker. TW

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a full time job, and teach at my chief instructor's (CI) school. I actually teach most of the classes at one particular school (has multiple schools, and goes back and forth between all of them), but when it comes to business matters, I'm certainly grateful that the CI takes care of them.

If the CI needs to go out of town, I can certainly run the school, and even handle the more mundane business activities, but in terms of business strategies, advertising choices, tax matters, insurance, etc., I won't handle them, since I don't have the business experience (yet).

The thought of opening up my own dojo, or even working at the CI's dojo full time, has crossed my mind several times in the past, but I often times wonder if it's one of those "the grass is greener on the other side" type of thoughts. While it would certainly be more fulfilling, it's simply a risk I cannot take, since my regular job comes with superb benefits, and that I already have too much invested in it to simply leave.

I have the utmost of respect for those who do open up their own schools, or for those who have made the martial arts their full time careers. Even if I may not like their style, or even the individuals themselves, I must still respect their dedication to the martial arts, regardless of who they are. Of course, that doesn't mean I have to like them...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school is my passion not a job, I'm fortunite that I own some pretty good businesses that I really do not have to work, retired teacher too. My wife who is 13 years younger is still a teacher so that is another source or us. I would like to build one of the biggest school ever in the history of MA, some thing a Sam club warehouse with 10-12 different style under one roof and all the head instructor where humble enough to work together for the benefits of all. Well we all have dreams I guess, maybe one day mine will come true everything else in my life has so why not this.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
About once a month I'll make a decision that feels like I'm weighing teaching & art vs. business & income. I believe I make the decision on the side of teaching most of the time.

I do believe I'm fortunate on that score, however. Due to a couple of fortunate business partnerships, my school does pretty well. We throw enough income that I can fire a student or make an unpopular decision and not risk closing my doors.

A lot of martial arts schools are operating pretty close to the line. A teaching>business decision for them could mean closing forever.

Interesting question: what harms the art more, promoting a student who's not ready, or losing a quality school and instructor?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a part time club with a full time job, but hope to be a full time school with no other source of income within a year or so.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at my city's Community Center when I also work. I was volunteering to help teach the Karate class on my days off. My boss decided I need to be paid to do that. Then when she heard that Taekwondo was the art I have rank in, they asked if I'd teach my own program. I started early last month with 10 students. We have 11 week sessions 2 hours per week. They're having fun & I'm having a blast! I help the kids with their homework, then we go into the Dance/MA room & have TKD class. Its neat to really be able to make a difference in these kid's lives in this unique way.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a full (plus) time job running a group home for teens who have autism or other severe behavior disorders, but I teach (part time) for my friend's school. I used to teach adult education and afterschool programs as well, but my current schedule combined with graduate school (Physical Education) rules it out.

Matt

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I teach at my city's Community Center when I also work. I was volunteering to help teach the Karate class on my days off. My boss decided I need to be paid to do that. Then when she heard that Taekwondo was the art I have rank in, they asked if I'd teach my own program. I started early last month with 10 students. We have 11 week sessions 2 hours per week. They're having fun & I'm having a blast! I help the kids with their homework, then we go into the Dance/MA room & have TKD class. Its neat to really be able to make a difference in these kid's lives in this unique way.

Sounds like you are having a very positive impact! Keep it up!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a full time ( and then some) job and teach at a private club.
If this area was big enough to go full time teaching I would love to try doing so

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I work full time and help instruct at a school. I intend to one day open a school of my own, but as a side venture, not as a primary source of income. I'll keep working, and possibly employ a qualified instructor to run the classes. The intend is to focus on quality, not profit. I don't want to be put into a position where I may need to make compromises to keep the doors open as many commercial schools are forced to do. If it can't at least pay for itself over a reasonable amount of time, I'll close it before I go that route.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Currently I am teaching four 90 min classes a week to Soldiers, Airmen, civilians (and anyone else that shows up) in Balad, Iraq. I don't charge anything for the classes, per se. I do have a few recommended costs (uniform, gear, etc) but nothing mandatory. I make it clear the the cost for the gear and uniform (I try to sell a package deal and have it shipped here from the states) is higher than if they were to buy it themselves online and that the extra $$ goes to buying kicking shields, ocus pads, etc.

I've been teaching here since November 2, 2005 and have about 8 steady folks that come. Unfortunately, the population is transient and inconsistent due to operational tempo. Our little group is fairly tightknit, though and I'm conident that they will continue even without me when we all leave this cursed place.

Cheers!

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I instruct / train at my school five days a week. Monday - Thursday I am activley training or instructing from 4pm untill 9pm. Either on Friday or Saturday I work out "with" my instructors anywhere from three to four hours.
Next year I will be retiring from my regular full time employment, I will then begin running my schools on a full time 10am - 9pm basis.

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am a qualified instructor for Hakarac. However i am not yet ready to open a school. Perhaps i am too comfortable as an assistant. I have no problem in charging for instruction, people should realise they are customers to a school in most cases.

Say the school was a burger joint. Would you continue to puchase burgers from a place that had roaches in their burger? The same can be said about schools, people spend too much time ragging on about 'they charge too much', 'rip off', 'sells snake oil'.

At the end of the day if you don't like a product don't buy it. Instead of saying 'your mcdojo sells crap bugers' perhaps people could say "gee that sounds like a great burger, here try mine it tastes really good'
:)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
With discussions on subjects like honesty, intregrity, rank, and such, the discussions have addressed the effect monetary gain has on these things. I was wondering the business status of some of the instructors here. And how they feel about martial arts instruction as a business or vocation.

I don't have a problem with people making their living teaching martial arts. It's just not something that my system permits.

There is a catch, though. When your living depends on your teaching, you need those students coming in. You're selling something, and you have to sell what people will buy. That doesn't mean you can't be successful and keep traditional -- but that you're going to have to recognize that while you've got some traditional students, you're also going to have to have the kickboxing aerobic classes or kiddie classes, and so on. You also have to avoid the temptation to have all sorts of extra fees to meet the bottom line (like having lots of belt testing fees, etc.)

I think that an honest person will be honest in what they do; they'll be fair to their clients/students. And I think that the less honest will be less honest; they'll be the ones running belt mills and hoping to have students sign that 10 year contract with no outs and then drop out so that they collect the fee and don't have to do anything for it!

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We, the people I train with, have 3 locations right now. 2 community centers and a church. I train/teach at 2 of them, one on Monday and one on Thursday. Students can train at any of the locations and it cost $35 per month ( we have no overhead, space is donated) and that goes toward buying needed equiptment.

I have a few students that are interested in training with me at my house. They want to get more into grappling and submission stuff so I might be adding that into the mix also.

Latest Discussions