Where do/did you train

In what type of setting did/do you train?

• In a commercial school

• In a non-commercial school (YMCA, Recreation Dept, Church, College Club, etc.).

• In both commercial and non-commercial classes.

• In a home, garage, outdoor setting, or backyard.

• In both a home and commercial location.

• In both a home and non-commercial setting.

• Privately in my home or my instructors home.

• In all settings, commercial, non-commercial, homes, garages, outdoors.

• Self taught with the assistance of books and video.

• In the Shaolin Temple.

Results are only viewable after voting.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This poll is to complement the one asking where instructors teach.
This time the question is, where were you taught?

Also, let us know your views on the type of program you trained in.
Good Points?
Bad Points?

How did your financial situation effect your choice of training settings?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started my training in the dojo. The people that I train with outside of the school, some takes place in the dojo and some in the backyard/garage setting. I think that working out outside and wearing street clothes is great! It gives you a better feel as to what you can do, compared to always weraing a loose fitting gi. Also, working out outside gives you a feel for moving around on the pavement, not just on the carpet, wood floors, or mats that are commonly found in the dojo. I think that this is something that is often neglected.

The money situation- That was not really an issue, considering that most of the schools around pretty much all charged the same amount. The workouts outside of the school--that is just getting together with others and training. You don't need a fancy school to get good instruction!

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've trained all the settings and still do. I made a big change in my overall abilities though while learning from Sifu Felix Macias Jr. in his garage. Not enough time to explain in detail but in a traditional class instructors rely on their student instructors to help cover the floor.

Coming from Karate to learning Jun Fan in the garage from a true master (that won't call himself that) was a great experience.

:asian:

A

A.R.K.

I started off in traditional dojo's such as Ric Martin and Frank Goreman. However, in the military and E.P. you trained wherever you could. And this was usually at the base gym or in the backyard.

Most of my producitve training has come in two forms however. First, as an academy Instructor I am very fortunate to have access to training classes at S.E.P.S.I. where I teach reqruits. Since they are a training center they bring in people and groups from around the world. This training has been very direct and hard core and most welcome! :)

Second most productive and effective is cross-training with individuals I am associated with. For example DAC and Disco. Another is a fellow Deputy I've mentioned before with catch training.

I think overall training in different environments really gives one an appreciation for just training for it's own sake.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well as for me, I received my formal training and ranking in a commercial TKD dojang. Lately, since times are though, we're currently no longer training at our dojang. We've been training informally at the Y, and occasionally we also go to the local park and train there as well.

I hope to return to training at the dojang by the end of the summer.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started in a college club and moved to a different college and club. Then I went to training in my instructor's barn. Now I'm in a fairly standard commercial school.

The college clubs were cheap (if you don't count that you have to pay tuition to be a student), modern and well maintained, but you have university rules to abide by and paperwork to deal with. Still this is one of the best deals.

The barn was the most fun. We were still poor students so, we built it up and made it a training center with our own hands. That made for great bonding as a training group. It also added a little roughness to the training.

The commercial club is nice in a generic kind of way. Sometimes its nice to have no suprises. I would be less interested but the instructor is very knowledgable, a good friend and he is ethnic so he likes to keep with the traditions.

P

progressivetactics

i have been involved with many instructors.....most non-commercial, ELKS, EAGLES, Am.Legion type halls, etc. 1 very successful commercial school, and some back yard/basement instructors. I have learned a great deal from most of them, and everyone seemed to fit where it was at. The commercial guy had 1 type of training that seemed to fit a school...others were more friendly in training, and had that elks hall kind of feel. Back yard and basement studios were for more trapping/grappling training, and seemed to work just fine.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My non-commercial class (club really) is in an old building in which us, the Judo guys, BJJ guys, and sometimes wrestling guys rent the one room (has mats on the floor). Our building also has a wedding photographer/Insurrance/and Cell Phone buisness in it and you can't tell that there is an Martial Art dojo in there unless you happen to see the one window on the side (facing the Taco Bell across the street) advertising it. When my mom and I were looking for Aikido, it took my mom 2 months to find where it was as the bushes/trees were growing over the window! We're very thankful for the place we have though.:asian:

The price didn't make any difference for my mom and I. I think it's $45 or maybe $55 a month and that counts for the both of us (not individually).
brille.gif

Robyn :asian:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train in my instructors basement, or occasionaly in the park down the street from his house. Of course, my instructor doesnt teach for a living, he has a "regular" job, and since he charges so little for classes probably couldnt afford to pay the rent on a building with the dues from classes. So I would say that the low cost of training is definatly a benefit of training in his basement. Of course, the space there is limited so that is at times a detriment when there are a lot of students...

V

voxtemporalis

I train at a (non-local) commercial TKD dojang. I have to drive over an hour to get there, and I go everyday of the week except for Sunday. I chose this place because, back when I was looking for a school, I visited all of the local schools, and didn’t like the teaching styles, the other students, or the material taught.

I found the TKD school I am in now and they teach traditional TKD with both competition and so-called “no-rules” sparring. They also teach grappling, self-defense, weapons, and they also have classes in yoga if you decide to opt for that.

Another huge reason that I chose that school is because the price was significantly lower than all of the other schools in the area. I’m happy there, and I suppose that it matters more that you are satisfied with your instruction rather than where you get your instruction from.

~SB

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have trained in the commercial and non commecial schools, along with the back yard/ garage type school. I learned in all but Found that the commercial school is just that and $$$ comes first in most of the instructors minds ( not all but most).
The non commercial school if it was in a YMCA or church was ok but there was a lot that could not be taught because of the location.
The small club and the back yard is perhaps where I learned the most. I include my instructors school in this area (even though it is a commercial school) he would teach those that had no funds if they truly had the desire to train, and we offten did train in the yard and still do.
All are good if the instructor is / all are bad if the instructor is
you learn where the knowledge is given by those that have it

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
well i train all over I just wish the main school I train at would get more students to come and train cause we need more money because we have to many bills.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TallAdam85
well i train all over I just wish the main school I train at would get more students to come and train cause we need more money because we have to many bills.

It may be time to switch to the basement? :D

S

Shinzu

i started in NY training in shotokan karate when i was 15. the good point was that i loved it. the bad point was that i was too young to drive to get there more often..LOL

in high school i started up again. the good point was that i was glad to be back, the bad point was that i didn't realize before how much i missed it.

now i study tang soo do. the good point is that it is very similar to shotokan and i am enjoying it alot. the bad point.... well i can't think of one yet! :)

S

Senfeng

I started in my uncle's backyard, then went to a commercial TKD school. I trained in the same garage akja talked about. Basically, Mr. Macias shows a 'technique' then divides everyone up into pairs. The technique is then slightly modified per pair, taylored to the strengths and weaknesses of the individuals. More experienced students help the less experienced. A lot of sparring in and out of class.

I enjoy the "Jun Fan" that Mr. Macias teaches. I don't know how to explain it except to say that its more and less strict than other MAs I've taken. It's aggressive, defensive, and spiritual.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Senfeng
I started in my uncle's backyard, then went to a commercial TKD school. I trained in the same garage akja talked about. Basically, Mr. Macias shows a 'technique' then divides everyone up into pairs. The technique is then slightly modified per pair, taylored to the strengths and weaknesses of the individuals. More experienced students help the less experienced. A lot of sparring in and out of class.

I enjoy the "Jun Fan" that Mr. Macias teaches. I don't know how to explain it except to say that its more and less strict than other MAs I've taken. It's aggressive, defensive, and spiritual.

You've been there for a while now. Your art should be taking off by now!

I met Gary at the ww.defend.net forum. His username is syndicate. Oneday maybe we'll meet at Felix's.

S

Senfeng

I've been off and on there. I wish I could devote more time to it, but my work responsibilities get in the way. Things have been dying down at work, so hopefully I'll get the chance to go a few more times a week. Felix is a great teacher and I've learned so much from him in the short time that I've studied.

Maybe we'll meet sometime.:)

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Senfeng
I've been off and on there. I wish I could devote more time to it, but my work responsibilities get in the way. Things have been dying down at work, so hopefully I'll get the chance to go a few more times a week. Felix is a great teacher and I've learned so much from him in the short time that I've studied.

Maybe we'll meet sometime.:)

No doubt we will! How about Andres? Is he still there?

L

LostGrrlDies

my school is held in a a local church. its half the price as most schools and my instructors are there because they love the art and love to teach, not to pad their pockets. they all have day jobs. There are about 40 students. I'd say 20-30 show up on the weekday evening classes. about 10-20 on the saturday classes. Then again its been summer so class attendence has been down. I really dig it when only 5 people show up on a Saturday. Then I usually get a 2nd or 3rd dan to myself for the whole class. Talk about getting your moneys worth!!! I'm sure I'd never see that at an ATA. :p

i picked this school after sifting through many. i had been previously warned to stay away from large schools, with branches all over the US. I am also a student, so i needed something cheap. I was hoping for something around $80. I just happened to luck upon my school. they dont advertise, but i had been asking around via interent, quite frequently. You cant beat 8 instructors for $45/mnth. They let me attend 3 classes for free before I decided if I wanted to stay. No contracts. Yet, they always expect you to be there, like your mother expects you to clean your room.