• I am an instructor and train with my own instructor rarely

• I am an instructor and train independently

• Other (please describe in post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious about peoples' perception of instructing and learning - thus this poll. Commentary is also requested - how do you define instructing? Assisting? What is the difference between an assistant instructor who teaches independently and an instructor? Are there rank requirements in your organization for instructing, and does that impact whether you are an assistant or a full instructor, regardless of your duties?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am a student, and regularly help teach lower-ranked students—that's me!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted Other.

I know. You did a nice job of covering the possibilities. :)

I consider myself a student.
I do teach class Idependently.
I even teach Seminars.

Yet, I also train with my Peers and also continue to learn from my students, in how the move and or ask questions.

I did have an isntructor I would train weekly with up until Decemeber of 2005. He had a stroke and then had another one that has left him very weak on the left side and we do not train. I still see him as often as I can, but if I am close to being sick or sick I do not stop by for his health. I ask him questions from time to time, and enjoy his company.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then why'd your vote show up as "other"?

Actually, I didn't register a vote, I just realized. I kind of blanked on the poll part, and just copied and pasted in that line of text. I suppose the way it's set up, it defaulted to `Other'... I'll go back and do it right this time—sorry!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted Other.

I know. You did a nice job of covering the possibilities. :)

I consider myself a student.
I do teach class Idependently.
I even teach Seminars.

Yet, I also train with my Peers and also continue to learn from my students, in how the move and or ask questions.

I did have an isntructor I would train weekly with up until Decemeber of 2005. He had a stroke and then had another one that has left him very weak on the left side and we do not train. I still see him as often as I can, but if I am close to being sick or sick I do not stop by for his health. I ask him questions from time to time, and enjoy his company.
Ditto.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I no longer teach independantly, but I use to and I am considering it again.

I currently have 3 instructors, one whom I assist in teaching.

But I always, not matter what I train or teach consider myself first and foremost a student.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure, what would everybody else consider this:

--Before my forced sabbatical, I helped out with the kids' class (when we were at the Y). Because my instructor asked me to.
--I went over the yellow belt stuff with one of the few kids (no, seriously, there's only, like, 3) in class. Because my instructor asked me to.

And, of course, I've been forced to go through poomse with the class (as the leader-type person) because my instructor wanted me to.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I voted Other. I train with my instructor from many years ago. I use to teach 3 morning classes for him at his dojo.
I was out for some years. I now train twice a week and help out with some of the lower kyu ranks when I can.

I also teach my son (34yrs old) and grandchildren on my own from time to time.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am an assistant instructor, but I regularly teach independently.

When away from my home studio I have given seminars, guest instruct, and held classes of my own. When I am at home, I help out with group classes and give privates.

Lamont

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a fulltime Instructor and school owner, as well a student of my Art, I do train with peers as often as I can and I love to have other instructor come in and show us there way of doing everything.
The one thing about the poll that was left out in my opinion is student for life, although w all may instruct or own schools we all our students and we learn everyday from everyaspect of our personal exsistiant.

Thought I would throw that in.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a fulltime Instructor and school owner, as well a student of my Art, I do train with peers as often as I can and I love to have other instructor come in and show us there way of doing everything.
The one thing about the poll that was left out in my opinion is student for life, although w all may instruct or own schools we all our students and we learn everyday from everyaspect of our personal exsistiant.

Very good point Terry. We all can learn something new every day.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I checked other..Yes,I am an Instructor, BUT I consider myself a student too because as Lisa posted "We can learn something new everyday"...

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

True - and I thought about it, but I was trying to get at something else, what people do in the dojang. I guess I should have stated that in the original email - because I agree, I am a student for life, but I chose I am an instructor and train with my own instructor regularly because it best describes what I was curious about, which was how many instructors still train with their own instructor or peers, and how many assistants teach independent of their instructors, along with how many students help teach - which, IMHO, is a great learning experience.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I own my school & only train with my instructor once a year. However, we are in contact at least monthly, & he asks to see performace videos of my students yearly.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Student.

I am a professional trainer. My instructor has asked me to pick up a class, but my job schedule has me travelling irregularly, therefore, I am unable to commit to a fixed schedule.

But, even if I were not travelling as I do, I still would not want to make formal training part of my studies. I practice American Kenpo as a hobby away from my every day job. If that line became blurred, I might not find the enjoyment in the practice that I do now.

Of course, when working with my peers, there are times when my inner instructor comes out. Especially when working with students of lower rank.

It is perhaps a fine distinction between pointing out a specific principle, basic, or idea to improve anothers practice, and teaching, but it is a very clear distinction to me. And I do my darndest to stay on this side of that line.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train twice a week with my instructor but teach a class of my own on sunday afternoons. While the association requires that you be at least I-kyu to teach I have been given permission from those in the association to teach as a ni-kyu since we are really seperated from any other schools of our style and have access to a very limited number of senior students and black belts. I can't promote or test anyone. I'm regularly evaluated by my instructor and he drops in on a Sunday from time to time. With the exception of only one student all students in my class attend the weekday classes with my instructor and use mine as a tune up or extra class. I wonder if a good tune up isn't why my instructor offered me the class int he first place. I have found myself really being able to improve my own skills as a practitioner by teaching others.

For those who have said that there is always something to learn I have to say that I agree whole heartedly. Even now I find myself learning from the questions of the white belts and from the what if scenarios of all the students.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am an instructor and run my own tiny,tiny school. I don't see my own teacher very often now for no real reason i can think of.

Much of my own training nowadays involves understanding the meanings behind the techniques I know and seeing how they may be represented in other styles. The philosophy of ba gua enters into my "training" a lot too.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am an instructor and train on occasion with one of my instructors. I also am a student in another style with minimal teaching. I also train independantly in other areas. I chose other since I encompassed multiple positions.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I chose Student (primarily) and regularly help teach lower belts because I have recently been asked to help out every week with the kids classes. I don't lead the class, but am there to help the kids line up, warm up, pay attention, circulate around and help with questions and that sort of thing. I think I am learning more than they are at times. It was a real eye opener the first couple of classes just how much more effort it takes to be one of those in front of the class, even at a real basic kids level. I have had to take one week of classes due to the main instructor being way too sick to teach. I have to be honest, I was more nervous than I was on my wedding day. I about :barf: worrying that I might not be able to hold the kids interest during the classes, and that I was knowledgable enough to actually do it. The instructor had faith, so I sucked it up and ended up having the time of my life, even the kids had fun.

I'll never stop being a student and hopefully always have the mind set to know I need to keep growing and learning from those around me no matter what my own ranking becomes.

Latest Discussions