• 2 years

• 3 years

• 4 years

• 5 years

• More than 5 years

Results are only viewable after voting.
A

A.R.K.

There has been much good discussion lately about earning a BB, earning a second or more BB etc. Also how many days are trained per week and such. I thought it would be interesting to poll folks here to see if there were any trends or averages. There are no wrong answers :)

For both instructors & practitioners of BB rank or above, how long did you train to reach the 1st Dan or equivelent?

Is this average time for your discipline?

How many days a week on average did you train?

If there is a second or more discipline in which a BB was earned, how long?

Thanks for participating :asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Six Years steady training to get to Shodan.
Six years is definitely within one standard deviation of average for Kenpo.
I trained 4 - 5 times a week.

OP
K

KanoLives

Is it possible to get a BB in one year?

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can get a Black Belt in about 5 minutes at the local Martial Arts Supply store...and that would probably be worth as much as one earned in a single year.

kilo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our style of Aikido its possible to get shodan in 1 year to a year and a half.

OP
S

Shuri-te

There are several variables you need to consider.

One criteria is athletic ability. Let's face it, some people are more athletic than others. Not only can they perform techniques better with little training, but, at least early on, they get more out of their training. Part of the success in many martial arts is the ability to do movements at high speed, with the appropriate balance of relaxation and flexing. Compared to less athletic students, many athletic people can just move faster, and more quickly learn to control muscle relaxation and flexing at high speed.

A second criteria is determination. Some people are really motivated to work hard and some are less so. Some get more out of a practice than others.

A third criteria is age. In general, young people are more adept at learning physical movements than older people.

A fourth criteria is amount of time training. And this is tough to measure, because the real issue is not time in the dojo, but total time training. Some people spend 10 or more hours a week in the dojo. Many only spend 3 or 4. In addition, many people might train a half hour or more every day in addition to what they do in the dojo. We all know that these people who train intensively are going to progress more quickly.

All these factors influence how long it will take a student to become competent at some required set of skills. If the test for black belt comes after achieving some level of competence in a specific set of skills, then it would be difficult to draw out an average amount of time to black belt. Because if age, athletic ability, total hours training and intensity of training were all taken into account, then some people are going to accomplish in three years what it takes others 6 or more years for others to do.

It is my experience that the many systems ignore many of these issues and don't test once some given level of ability is achieved. Rather, rank promotion comes in a more orderly, easy to measure progression, one based on time in the dojo. It's just like going to school. By and large students move from one grade to the next based on time, not ability. Each year a pool of people, with all different skill levels, move up a notch together.

Therefore, promotion becomes based on attendance. I would argue that if you look at the average (mean) time spent in the dojo training, of all students across all Martial Arts, it is probably not much more than 4 hours per week, and could be less. Let's suppose a school requires a student to be in the dojo training an average of 4 hours per week over 4 years (allowing 2 weeks illness and vacation.) That would translate into 800 hours until black belt.

My guess is that this number of hours in the dojo might actually be a bit high for many karate systems. I know of a school that uses time in the dojo as the base criteria to be qualified to test for black belt, and it is much closer to 300 hours, but the students are expected to train extensively outside the dojo.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As for me...........it took me 12 years!!!!!!!! This was not all my fault though!! I started when I was 13 years old and went to class several times every week. Through the years, I had some great instructors but, unfortunately, they were not real stable in their own lives and a lot of them ended up leaving us and one of them passed away. I would then have to wait around for a new instructor or try to find another Kenpo studio in my area.......which wasn't always possible. As of today, I have had 5 different instructors (the current one is finally a stable individual who has had a studio for a loooooonnnnnggggg time). The average time in our studio, with dedication and dilligent training- to reach black belt is 6 years. Those of you with stable studios.......feel blessed!! It doesn't always work out that way!!
I also dabbled in Arnis and got up to green there- that took about 1 1/2-2 years.

:asian: :karate:

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
It took 4.5 years to get my black belt in the first system training 6 day's a week. And 2 years to get black in the second system. I had 8 years in the first one.When i started the second.If i had not had that time in, it would have taken around 5 years for the second. Average time to black in both systems was around 5 years. so earning my first black belt did help a lot in earning the other. MITHIOS

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several "recognized" instructors that use 2-3 years for their time in grade. When I was teenager under 5 years was unheard of. My has been very much diversified so I pobably had close to 18 years solid training in before receiving my Full Instructorship.

A side note. My brother-in-law uses actual class hours as a guide and in addition for your first teaching certificate you need 1000 teaching hours in.

:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
There are several "recognized" instructors that use 2-3 years for their time in grade. When I was teenager under 5 years was unheard of. My has been very much diversified so I pobably had close to 18 years solid training in before receiving my Full Instructorship.

A side note. My brother-in-law uses actual class hours as a guide and in addition for your first teaching certificate you need 1000 teaching hours in.

:asian:

MY MISTAKE.

Their are 2 apprentice Instructor certifications before receiving a full Instructor certification. The full Instructor certification prereqs. are to be at least a Shodan and have the 1000 hours teaching in.

I can't remember how many hours it was for my apprentice certs.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It took me 7 years to get my Black Belt in Kenpo
3 months for my Black Belt in Hapkido
18 Months for my Black Belt in Tang Soo Do.

From age 11-22 I physically trained on average of 6 to 8 hours a day every day, mental training (Research and Analysis) was 2 to 4 hours per day.
From age 22 to present I physically train on average of 4 hours a day and 8 hours of mental training. Resting on Sunday. (I'm trying to work back up to 8 hours 6 days a week)

It has been my experience that on average it takes:
5 to 7 years to obtain a Black belt in Goju-ryu karate
3 years for Hapkido
5 years for Aikido
1.5 years for Japanese Shorinji Kempo students
3 years for American Shorinji Kempo Students
3 Years for Tang Soo Do
3 years for Shotokan Karate
5 to 7 Years for Kyokushin Karate
7 to 9 years for Kenpo

Keep in mind that this is my experience based on the particular instructor that I had in each of the arts. All vary depending upon the instructor and organization.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Average at our school is 3 - 5 years. It is really more about quality hours of training than years though.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chinese Kenpo

1 year between each Brown Belt = 3 years
An equivalent time in "Colored Belts" = 3 Years.
+ 1 to grow on = 7 years.

Whew!
:yinyang:

Now in EPAK - Got to learn it all over again ... plus!

OP
S

Shinzu

i voted 3 years, but it could be longer depending the person involved.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Five years is about the earliest you'll see shodan in nihon goshin. Most folks take between 5 and 7.

OP
T

twinkletoes

At our school it's about 5-8 years for an adult, 8-10 if you start young. No black belts are awarded before age 16.

I've seen one fantastically gifted (and middle aged) individual who started from scratch with no experience, and got a black both in our kenpo program and in modern arnis in juuuust shy of 5 years. He is extremely talented.

In BJJ it will take me a LONG time. I'm in no hurry. I don't really care about the belts anymore, I just want to reach a high standard of performance.

~TT

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Turner
3 months for my Black Belt in Hapkido

What type/kwan of Hapkido did you study?
Were you studying Hapkido solely at this time or was this in combination with other arts?
Who was your instructor?

Respects,
Bill Parsons

Latest Discussions