On killing...

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What other option is there...die? If you can resolve the situation without killing of course you should otherwise you are going to be in trouble. If its kill or be killed, Im opting for kill.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
icorollary question: killing in self-defense is clear cut while you're being attacked. what about less clear-cut situations. a gang banger within arm's reach says he's going to his car to get his gun. your daughter is being stalked by a guy who says he'll kill her.

thoughts?

The desert is full of holes just waiting for the bodies of guys like that to fill them.

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In a few different discussions about MA training, I have seen comments from people saying that they will fight another person but they will not kill another person. The reason cited was one of faith.

I don't think anyone here would particularly want to kill a person.

Assuming a legally justifyable situation - would you kill?

Only if I am forced to, that means if I would have no other chance. For example if my family or my own life would be in serious danger like in a war.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I happen to know of a good half dozen (abandoned) mine-shafts out in Utah that'll do just as well.

Yeah, but if you know of them, so do a few other cavers......

I'm all about repentance, anyway....back east, there would be nothing like the long boat ride, preaching to the guy sitting at the stern as the concrete set around his ankles, letting him know that if he'd been correct, he'd be sleeping in his own bed instead of with the fishes. Out here, the equivalent is the catharsis of digging a hole and preaching to his duct-taped, wide-eyed face, letting him know that if his behavior had been correct, he'd be sleeping in bed instead of what will become his unmarked grave.

Mind you, this is strictly for my daughter's stalker, or the equivalent......and has more to do with how I feel, not what I think....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, they'd be alive when I dropped them off the boat, or buried them.So, technically, I wouldn't be "hiding bodies," now, would I?:idunno:

OK you got me on a technicality, so then I guess your answer is you would not kill :)

And suddenly I find myself thinking of the song Alice’s restaurant and the group W bench.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hog farms? Bricktop Lives! :)

Some people advocate the SSS method - Shoot, shovel, shut up

I put greater faith in Murphy's Law. If I try to hide a body I will get caught. That will turn a good shoot into aggravated murder. So I'll do everything to make sure it's a good shoot and that I'm the guy who calls the police first.

Reaction score
In a few different discussions about MA training, I have seen comments from people saying that they will fight another person but they will not kill another person. The reason cited was one of faith.

i wouldnt kill anyone , i dont have the guts!:angel:

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Carol,
Not a problem. I could come up with many situations where you would want to kill someone.

But it seems like a younger persons question where you are looking for a definite yes or no answer. I can give you situations that would probably force you to say "yes I would" and other situations that would make you say "certainly not". And they all depend on the situation. Once you loose the ability to change your mind then you walk a slippery slope where you feel you are taking some kind of high ground (moral, religious, or whatever) because you don't have to think or use reason. There can be all kinds of grey areas and mitigating circumstances.

This is like our last presidental election where people were call "flip-floppers" because they changed their mind. As if changing your mind is a bad thing!:barf:God, we teach our children to learn from their mistakes and change their mind. I am very sceptical about politicians who never think. Many times in life we don't know which way to turn and we make the best decision we can from the information we have at the time. If it's right we are a hero, if it's wrong, we learn and change our mind.

I teach rape prevention courses and as far as the psychology goes, whatever decision you make is the right one when being attacked. No one has the right to second guess your decision or tell you what you should have done. They may not attach their values, religion, morals... to what you decide (There is no such thing as an armchair defendent after the fact - your opinions just don't matter).

On the other hand it is interesting to get other peoples thought process.
But you know what they say about opinions.:ultracool

In my situation I have children and if someone was to mess with them I have no qualms about taking them out. (there's one situation)

As good ol' Winston said, "If your young and you're not liberal... then you got no heart. If your old and your not conservative... then you got no brains".

When I was young and a religious zealot I would have answered, "No way"
Now, I'm older and have a family and I answer, "No Problem"
So I guess I'm a flip-flopper:)

This in no way removes any religious, social, or moral beliefs that I have!

The reason you should talk about these things is to clairify what the effects may be on you. Short and long term, not just yes or no. The given are already there: Greif, shock, anger, fear... but should you controll the situation or should the situation controll you?

Discuss particular scenarios and your thought process will become clearer.

Case in point: My wife worked in a bad section of town. Should I have her cary an illegal firearm. Think this through and what all the possible outcomes could be. Who would this affect, how long, what do pro and con gun groups say, what is the law...

If you would like to know, I will discuss this further.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol,
Not a problem. I could come up with many situations where you would want to kill someone.

But it seems like a younger persons question where you are looking for a definite yes or no answer.

The question may be taken on any level you wish. Good to have your input as well as everyone else's. :)

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure there would ever be a situation that I would NEED to kill. Maiming can work sometimes. And sometimes, people just should die. But Karma will probably do the trick anyway. But what do I know? I'm still young.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we have opened up to the military aspect well, yes. In Nam I was with the marines. Our unit's motto was "Death is our business and business is good". But it think the sniper section had it down a little better,there motto was "all I feel when I kill is recoil". Of course they were an odd little bunch of people, friendly, but still odd. Would I kill,yes, have I killed, yes, have I ever murdered anyone, no, it's not the same thing. Self defense, it the situation required it, you bet.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been in combat on three continents and one island while in the Marines. I am here to tell you that I am with Jeff 100 percent...killing is not murder. I have five rows of ribbons and medals that show this to be true.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Killing is not murder, but if it becomes too easy that can be a serious problem.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If i found myself in a situation where it was me or the other person yes i would take their life. Or if it was to protect my family or friends i would as well.

Would i suffer from this act? Yes. It would haunt me for the rest of my life probably, but when it comes to preservation or your own life or friends/familys life you dont think you only act.

B

Latest Discussions