On killing...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a few different discussions about MA training, I have seen comments from people saying that they will fight another person but they will not kill another person. The reason cited was one of faith.

I don't think anyone here would particularly want to kill a person.

Assuming a legally justifyable situation - would you kill?
if it was legally justifyable, then it was probably necessary in order to save my life and or the lives of others, like those I love.
So YES I would kill.

But that's a pretty big stretch and MOST of humanity will never be called upon to make such a decision.
thank God

Your Brother
John

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In a few different discussions about MA training, I have seen comments from people saying that they will fight another person but they will not kill another person. The reason cited was one of faith.

I don't think anyone here would particularly want to kill a person.

Assuming a legally justifyable situation - would you kill?

Honestly I believe that to be one of those "in the moment" type things, and I am not talking about situational ethics. You never know what you are or are not capable of until the moment of truth. God give me the grace to never be in that moment.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can only ever try to answer these based on what your past experiences may be... the future could be far different.

For all I know in a future encounter, I could wet my pants and faint.

In the past, I've always reacted quickly.... more a super adreniline rush than bravery of any sort. Yet... If the past is the measure, yes I would kill an adversary if forced to.

Fair is fair, Carol - how about you?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fair is fair, Carol - how about you?

I know it is not something I would want to do. An act like that changes a person forever. My job has me constantly jumping from emergency to emergency. The one martial benefit that I've been able to gain from that is being able to think clearly through an adrenaline dump.

I wouldn't want to, for many reasons. But if I had to, I'd say most likely yes, I could kill in that kind of situation.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
My response is yes based on three things, and each of them are asleep in bed at the moment...Otherwise, no...
My wife is an intelligent, and spunky woman...If someone came after her with intent to kill, then she couldn't handle that person, and it's time for me to step in...
My kids are too young yet to know how to get out of a situation with their lives, so any situation involving their well-being WILL be met with extreme force, period...Be it hand-to-hand, or sawed-off to face, I don't care...NEVER, EVER will my children be abducted or beaten to death by anyone, period.
Yes, I am overly intense about this subject, and I know it, but the alternative is NOT exceptable, period...
WORD!

Latest Discussions