"Nice to meet you! Please don't hurt me ...."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever been greeted this way when newly introduced by someone you know in a martial arts way? This has happened to me a couple handfuls of times, most recently when one of my self-defense students introduced me to her husband. They were the very first words out of his mouth.

Of course he jested ( I think ) and I jokingly replied, "Please don't give me a reason to."

So have you ever encountered this? And what was your inward reaction and outward reply?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's happened often enough that my inward reaction is some variant of "Really? Again?". My outward resonse depends on the situation, but usually leans towards some form of sarcastic and/or smartass comment.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
happens all the time..

if you're with a new group of people and mention you do martial arts most of the time the first reaction is 'ooh i wont mess with you' or things to that affect..

in hindsight you kinda wonder 'were they planning to mess with me before hearing this?' but i think its just more a nervous reaction trying to find something to say in reply.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever been greeted this way when newly introduced by someone you know in a martial arts way? This has happened to me a couple handfuls of times, most recently when one of my self-defense students introduced me to her husband. They were the very first words out of his mouth.

Of course he jested ( I think ) and I jokingly replied, "Please don't give me a reason to."

So have you ever encountered this? And what was your inward reaction and outward reply?

I've had that happen a few times. Usually I just chuckle and say dont worry. :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never had it happen!

I have had people express incredulity and say things like "At your age? I did TKD when I was a teenager, but I eventually outgrew that."

Sometimes I get "Why?"

Other times, a blank stare.

Cougar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My experience with that sort of thing usually comes from an individual that has zero experience with martial arts and has no clue to what is really involved. Rather, their experience is limited to what they have seen in the movies and on television. Accordingly, they seem to feel like most martial artist are looking for an excuse to beat on someone in a very bloody fashion. My response varies with the situation and whether or not I feel a serious discussion would be worthwhile or if I am dealing with a knucklehead and should just move on.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only once. I was punching the noggins out of a bag, and someone had a friend along to try out the class. Their greeting was, "Hi. Dont do that to me...?"
I was entertained at the time, but i imagine that if it happened often, itd get old.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah... it's annoying as hell.

My typical response is along the vein of "But why not, you're so deliciously breakable..." or asking for the contents of their wallets.

They wanna be cute... I don't.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I typically don't advertise that I do martial arts. So I don't get that response. Though I have gotten it a few times when others have brought it up. My response is usually some variant of, "Why would I think about hurting you? You're not planning on attacking me, are you?"

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try being a Cop...

"I didnt do it!" Yuck Yuck

"Arrest HIM officer!" Yuck Yuck

..if I had a nickle...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Happens often enough. Usually they're just a little bit intimidated or simply don't know how to talk to you, feeling like they have no common frame of references. You might as well be from Mars. Once you've broken the ice with 5 min. conversation it is never an issue with that particular person again.

When you know what to look for, you see it happen all the time. People are hunting for a frame of references, something to relate. An ice-breaker.

I visited an Olympic style fencing Salle some months back and wore a T-Shirt given to me by my friends at the Nebraska Swordfighters Guild. They do lots of Medieval stuff; Longsword, etc. I don't. I had one nice woman approach me and "explain" that they do swordfighting too, just like I do, but simply a different kind. I smiled and explained that the shirt was a gift and I don't do that kind of swordfighting either. :)

People just want to be able to group you into an "us" or a "them." If they can find some sort of common ground, you're likely to go into an "us" basket. When they greet you with "please don't hurt me <guffa>," they are expecting some sort of humorous reply to indicate that you're "in" on the joke and can be put into the "us/friendly" basket.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

"I wish all my muggings were this easy."

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is annoying. I got the math. prof. version of it today too--"I was always bad at math.!" I don't care. I don't do martial arts or math. with you in mind.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with Mr. Lawson's take on this in his post earlier. People are just looking for a frame of reference when they say such things, especially with the misconceptions of aggression and violence they associate with the martial arts and not knowing that control of the self is as important as mastery of technique. Some might even think they are genuinely witty when they say such things but mostly they are looking to see how you react, I think, so they know how to treat you from then on.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

G,

To be honest when this happens to be, it hurts my baby boy feelings. On the inside it hurts.

On the outside I smile, and say something polite that is appropriate for the setting.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure which one is worse. When people find out that I study martial arts and their respones or when they find out I'm a cop and those responses.

I think either one is rooted in an uncomfortableness with the person to find some type of interaction with me.

Although, after they say "show me something" and I poke them in the eye. I don't get many more requests. Just joking on that one, but it has crossed my mind.

Latest Discussions