The Fittest Men Ever

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Today I came across Men's Health The 100 Fittest Men Ever. It wasn't big surprise to see some of the freak athletes like Bolt, Phelps and Jordan; then some team sport stars and even some UFC fighters. There was unfortunately also some random movie stars that might be in good shape but fittest ever...?
However I was very happy and surprised to see Mitsuyo Maeda at 45th place. This might be a first time in West when this man gets deserved mainstream recognition for his Judo/JJ/BJJ development not just Helio or Carlos.
Also nice to see old-school wrestler Georg Hackenschmidt at 39th place.
What do you think?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool

Here is the link

It is an interesting mix, some I agree with some I don't but what I think does not matter. I thought I might find Magnús Scheving on that list since I tend to think the guy is so fit he must be an alien but he is likely not famous enough to make the list. Is there a list anywhere of the criteria they used to make this list

Here are a few on the list

93. Ken Shamrock
92. Billy Blanks
86. Tiger Woods
84. Georges St-Pierre
82. Jason Statham
81. Jean-Claude Van Damme
80. Tony Horton
75. Mr. T
74. Johnny Weissmuller
69. Harry Houdini
66. Wanderlei Silva
62. Jackie Chan
59. Usain Bolt
57. Brad Pitt
55. Jim Brown
47. Oscar Pistorius
48. Jet Li
46. Dwyane Johnson
45. Mitsuyo Maeda
43. Charles Atlas
33. Bo Jackson
22. Gerard Butler
18. Chuck Norris
15. Muhammad Ali
9. Manny Pacquiao
6. Jim Thorpe
4. Jack LaLanne
3. Arnold Schwarzenegger
2. Bruce Lee
1. Michael Phelps

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Tarahumara tribesmen of the Copper Canyons in Mexico. They run. Forever. read the book Born to Run, by Christopher McDugall, it's fascinating.

Second to them would be, in my opinion, the Ultramarathoners like Scott Jurek, the guys who run 100 mile races at 12000 foot elevations in Colorado, and 100+ mile races thru Death Valley. The Tarahumara beat Jurek, at least once in a race in Mexico. Again, McDugall's book.

Another ultramarathoner is Ulrich (can't remember his first name), but he ran from coast to coast, averaging the equivalent of 2 marathons plus 15 miles, every day for the duration, some 2 or 3 months I think it was.

Those guys are the fittest in the world, in my opinion.]

Sorry, it's not martial arts related, unless you consider the ability to run to be a first-line self defense skill.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Tarahumara tribesmen of the Copper Canyons in Mexico. They run. Forever. read the book Born to Run, by Christopher McDugall, it's fascinating.

Second to them would be, in my opinion, the Ultramarathoners like Scott Jurek, the guys who run 100 mile races at 12000 foot elevations in Colorado, and 100+ mile races thru Death Valley. The Tarahumara beat Jurek, at least once in a race in Mexico. Again, McDugall's book.

Another ultramarathoner is Ulrich (can't remember his first name), but he ran from coast to coast, averaging the equivalent of 2 marathons plus 15 miles, every day for the duration, some 2 or 3 months I think it was.

Those guys are the fittest in the world, in my opinion.]

Sorry, it's not martial arts related, unless you consider the ability to run to be a first-line self defense skill.

In that case I see your runners and raise Tibetan Sherpa :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In that case I see your runners and raise Tibetan Sherpa :D

yeah, there are some surprisingly fit people out there, who simply live a life that demands it. They don't sit behind a desk all day like we do, and then need to go to the gym to "get in shape".

McDougal's book also mentioned some other groups who run a lot, apparently there's a group of monks in Japan somewhere, who run crazy distances at high altitude, on a diet of mostly miso soup. Crazy.

I should say rather, "amazing and inspiring"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yeah, there are some surprisingly fit people out there, who simply live a life that demands it. They don't sit behind a desk all day like we do, and then need to go to the gym to "get in shape".

McDougal's book also mentioned some other groups who run a lot, apparently there's a group of monks in Japan somewhere, who run crazy distances at high altitude, on a diet of mostly miso soup. Crazy.

I should say rather, "amazing and inspiring"

Yes it is rather amazing and it is those people and guys like Magnús Scheving (who was not on the list and not a martial artist either) that makes me ask what was the criteria that Men's Health used to judge the 100 fittest men

I mean come on

59. Usain Bolt
57. Brad Pitt

I admit both guys are in great shape but Brad Pitt is in better shape than Usain Bolt

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it is rather amazing and it is those people and guys like Magnús Scheving (who was not on the list and not a martial artist either) that makes me ask what was the criteria that Men's Health used to judge the 100 fittest men

ayup. Nobody knows about these people except for those who have this special interest in things like ultramarathons.

What is really fascinating to me is that these examples are a real testament to the potential that the human species has, with regard to physical ability. I've always said that our culture encourages us to accept mediocrity, and discourages us from being fit and exercising and from realizing our true potential. But these examples show just how far the human specimen can go if desired. It's in our genetics, we as a species have this ability.

OP
N

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting guys.
I have great respect for distance runners, but I tend to look more on those who have certain balance and versatility. For example Roman Sebrle he runs 60m 6.91, 100m in 10.26, 400 in 47.76 and 1000m in 2:37. He also does 7 ft high jump and 26ft7in long jump. This kind of skill-set makes him a monster in my eyes. It also goes well with humans natural survival needs: great sprint, agility, some strength endurance, ability to recover quickly etc.

OP
N

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ayup. Nobody knows about these people except for those who have this special interest in things like ultramarathons.

What is really fascinating to me is that these examples are a real testament to the potential that the human species has, with regard to physical ability. I've always said that our culture encourages us to accept mediocrity, and discourages us from being fit and exercising and from realizing our true potential. But these examples show just how far the human specimen can go if desired. It's in our genetics, we as a species have this ability.

You are so right. Nice to hear that from someone else too. Nowadays all we here is about self acceptance. I think that it's good to be happy about yourself, but humans do need urge to evolve and to get better.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very interesting guys.
I have great respect for distance runners, but I tend to look more on those who have certain balance and versatility. For example Roman Sebrle he runs 60m 6.91, 100m in 10.26, 400 in 47.76 and 1000m in 2:37. He also does 7 ft high jump and 26ft7in long jump. This kind of skill-set makes him a monster in my eyes. It also goes well with humans natural survival needs: great sprint, agility, some strength endurance, ability to recover quickly etc.

aye, good points.

there is a theory that says that humans actually evolved as a species to be, specifically, uber-long distance runners. We can never match the speed of the predators and prey animals in the wild, so we'll never compete with them in that way. But we can outrun any animal on the planet if we persist. Humans can, working as a team, isolate an antelope from the herd and keep running it down until it simply collapses. This theory explains where early pre-humans may have gotten the necessary protein diet to enable the brain to grow to the size it is now, which happened long before the bow and arrow and spear were invented.

running may simply be what made us what we are today, tho you'd never guess from the lack of fitness displayed by most people now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I agree that our society is partially the reason we tend to not be in the shape we could be, conveniences, availability of food (good and bad) with little need to worry about attack from anything, now throw in a desk job. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to hop in the car and drive to work and get food when I want and not have to worry about being attacked by anything, but I will admit I have fantasized more than once that I lived close enough to my work to be able to ride a bike there and not take the car.

In the case of Sherpa they metabolize Oxygen better than others on the planet and unlike other high altitude dwellers they tend not to lose that ability even after extended periods at lower elevations and they tend to think it is the amount of time they have been living at these elevations. You and I could metabolize oxygen better too if we lived with then for a bit but we would lose that ability rather quickly once we returned to the lowlands. Even the Indians in the Andes lose the ability, they just maintain the ability longer than you or I would but the last time I read about this Tibetans do not lose the ability even after extended time at lower elevations.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that our society is partially the reason we tend to not be in the shape we could be, conveniences, availability of food (good and bad) with little need to worry about attack from anything, now throw in a desk job. Don’t get me wrong, I like being able to hop in the car and drive to work and get food when I want and not have to worry about being attacked by anything, but I will admit I have fantasized more than once that I lived close enough to my work to be able to ride a bike there and not take the car.

In the case of Sherpa they metabolize Oxygen better than others on the planet and unlike other high altitude dwellers they tend not to lose that ability even after extended periods at lower elevations and they tend to think it is the amount of time they have been living at these elevations. You and I could metabolize oxygen better too if we lived with then for a bit but we would lose that ability rather quickly once we returned to the lowlands. Even the Indians in the Andes lose the ability, they just maintain the ability longer than you or I would but the last time I read about this Tibetans do not lose the ability even after extended time at lower elevations.

That's fascinating, actually. I bet that ability makes life at lower altitudes very easy, with regard to breathing and doing hard work.

OP
N

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
aye, good points.

there is a theory that says that humans actually evolved as a species to be, specifically, uber-long distance runners. We can never match the speed of the predators and prey animals in the wild, so we'll never compete with them in that way. But we can outrun any animal on the planet if we persist. Humans can, working as a team, isolate an antelope from the herd and keep running it down until it simply collapses. This theory explains where early pre-humans may have gotten the necessary protein diet to enable the brain to grow to the size it is now, which happened long before the bow and arrow and spear were invented.

running may simply be what made us what we are today, tho you'd never guess from the lack of fitness displayed by most people now.

Yes running definitely is part of human core.

I don't have a car and since I live near city center I can get almost everywhere without public transport. Yes sometimes it takes a bit more time, but it feels so great to walk/run. After some time it becomes a second nature, and now I often walk even 7-8 miles in weekends. I get more fitness then my relatives from country side who drive car everywhere :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And as I sit here, at my desk, with one knee in a brace and the other not doing so good dealing with weight gain as a result of these damn knee injuries..... I think this entire thread is depressing me :uhyeah:, but I do wsh I could run, I kind of miss that. I was never a great distance runner but I did enjoy a good sprint from time to time.

That's fascinating, actually. I bet that ability makes life at lower altitudes very easy, with regard to breathing and doing hard work.

That was what the article was implying, it also hinted at athletic ability.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I don't have a car and since I live near city center I can get almost everywhere without public transport. Yes sometimes it takes a bit more time, but it feels so great to walk/run. After some time it becomes a second nature, and now I often walk even 7-8 miles in weekends. I get more fitness then my relatives from country side who drive car everywhere :)

Actually I have been told that my Uncle, in his youth, got himself into better shape by being late for the bus. He could see the stop just before his from his house and that is when he would leave to catch it. However that meaent running (not jog a full on run) for about 3/4 mile to catch it. He later spent some time in Pro basketball, but that was when 6'3" was tall in Basketball

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I used to run a lot when I was younger, ran on the high school track team and cross-country team, and ran for fun thru college and into adult life. A number of years ago I got away from it for various reasons, but I've missed it. A few months ago I began running again, then I ran into McDougall's book and was completely fascinated and motivated again. Changed my running style, woke up to some important issues, and I've been running more and farther than I have since my days on the cross country team, hitting between 3 and 5 miles on most days. My wife is planning on doing a short triathlon early next year on the big island of Hawaii, so I'm kinda helping her with the running and biking, things that she is very new to. We were vacationing in Maui a couple weeks ago, and every morning we started the day with a run, beginning with 4.6 miles. I thought that would be pretty good, if we did that consistently every day. but she wanted to keep pushing it more and more each day, and we reached 8 miles. I haven't run that far at one time, almost ever, certainly not since high school in 1989. The fact that I was able to do it was amazing to me, and I was completely taken by surprise that she would want to push for that. We loved that part of our vacation almost as much as the scuba diving we did.

I'm very active with my martial arts training and I train pretty hard. But I have absolutely loved re-incorporating running into my schedule.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Former President George W. Bush was quite fit. "Bush's resting heart rate was 43 beats/minute, and his blood pressure 118/74 mmHg." He apparently ran three times a week, lifted weights, and did cardio work on a variety of machines. I have read that his resting heart rate was the lowest of any president currently recorded. His physician classified him in the top 2% of all men relating to fitness.

OP
N

nordin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And as I sit here, at my desk, with one knee in a brace and the other not doing so good dealing with weight gain as a result of these damn knee injuries..... I think this entire thread is depressing me :uhyeah:, but I do wsh I could run, I kind of miss that. I was never a great distance runner but I did enjoy a good sprint from time to time.

That was what the article was implying, it also hinted at athletic ability.

Sorry to hear that.
However nice that you can sprint. Always fun to do little unplanned sprint with friends :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
However nice that you can sprint. Always fun to do little unplanned sprint with friends :)

Nope, can't sprint, I use to like to sprint. I had to run with my youngest to catch the school bus yesterday and I could barely walk back to the house. But I have a stationary bike and a few other toys in the basement so I am slowly working my way back..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I used to run a lot when I was younger, ran on the high school track team and cross-country team, and ran for fun thru college and into adult life. A number of years ago I got away from it for various reasons, but I've missed it. A few months ago I began running again, then I ran into McDougall's book and was completely fascinated and motivated again. Changed my running style, woke up to some important issues, and I've been running more and farther than I have since my days on the cross country team, hitting between 3 and 5 miles on most days. My wife is planning on doing a short triathlon early next year on the big island of Hawaii, so I'm kinda helping her with the running and biking, things that she is very new to. We were vacationing in Maui a couple weeks ago, and every morning we started the day with a run, beginning with 4.6 miles. I thought that would be pretty good, if we did that consistently every day. but she wanted to keep pushing it more and more each day, and we reached 8 miles. I haven't run that far at one time, almost ever, certainly not since high school in 1989. The fact that I was able to do it was amazing to me, and I was completely taken by surprise that she would want to push for that. We loved that part of our vacation almost as much as the scuba diving we did.

I'm very active with my martial arts training and I train pretty hard. But I have absolutely loved re-incorporating running into my schedule.

A few months back after I was talking to my wife about this damn weight gain due to inactivity, I'm standing in my kitchen and my wife (the doctor and ex-college medal winner i running) walks in and says "I have a great idea, we can get up early and go for a run" I look at here and say..... So I'm guessing you have not noticed the rigid knee brace on one leg and the semi ridged on the other that I have been wearing lately :D

I'm hoping to be able yo get into cycling in the spring, working with the stationary bike now and through the winter :)

Edit:

Damn I did not finish that post; Good luck in Hawaii, it sounds like your well on your way to getting there already

Last edited:

Latest Discussions