How did you meet the 'Old Man' ?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those of you that had the privilege of meeting SGM Ed Parker, what was your 1st meeting like?
I was minding my own business at the IKC's in Long Beach (don't remember the year) when I heard a voice behind me ask if I was enjoying the event. I turned around and it was Ed Parker and he introduced himself. I was pretty impressed, but even more impressed when a few hours later we bumped into each other again and he introduced me to the guy he was with (he remembered my name). I was a fan ever since.

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in high school and I had just joined the Ed Parker school in Garden Grove, Ca. Mr. Parker was coming down to the studio and everyone was pumped up. Bob Perry, who was a brown belt at the time, and Fred Brewster, were the two instructors at the school. Mr. Parker walked and said hello to Fred,who he called "Fred Bruiser", because he was a well know Hawaiian street fighter. I had studied 2 years of a Japanese style before coming to the EPKS. I had never seen anything like what I saw that day. I certainly felt like I was in the right place. The year was 1966.
We went to a tournament later that week and Mr. Parker was the referee. Arnold Urquidez was fighting in the brown belt division. He threw a front kick and dislocated his toes. Mr. Parker had him lay on his back and pulled them back in place. Arnold kept fighting and won his match. A typical example of the Urquidez spirit.
We all owe so much to Ed Parker. I personally was able to attend the Monday morning management meetings where I learned how to run a studio. It was in Pasadena that I was introduced to Tom Kelly, Sigung Steve LaBounty, Dave Hebler, Steve Hearring, and Richard Planas, who was a brown belt at that time. It became my lifes work. I have had my own school since 1972 and a fantastic life because of the skills I learned from Mr. Parker. I thank God for the blessing of him in my life.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I first met him in Long Beach at the tournament.
He was so polite to this nobody (me) it was amazing just to talk with him for a while

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I met the "old man" through his son... meeting his son and being his interpreter was an honor... talking with him for a few minutes allowed me to meet his dad, since I believe the son is the reflection of the father... ole' Ed was a great guy. :asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I met Mr. Parker in 1986 at the "Lytle Open Karate Championships" where I competed as a Blue Belt. It was the first time my then-instructor (and first instructor) had told us that Mr. Parker was somewhere that we could see him. Mr. Parker is signing my program in this photo.

parkerlytelauto.jpg

I still have the program with my noteboook which he also signed about 3 years later at the second and only other time I saw him. I have a few more photos from each event. They used to be on my website somewhere...

He was very, very tired at this tournament. I was worried and disappointed when I met him. I thought there must have been something wrong with him, but was later told they kept him up late the night before. I also just recently learned that he went to Austin this same night and visited with my instructor Mr. Duffy.

I also believe it was at this very same tournament that Mr. Conatser gave a very compelling and memorable seminar for Mr. Duffy's students.

TCBKENPO

White Belt
Reaction score
I first met Parker as a child when I firsted started in Kenpo. He came to the studio with Larry Tatum, and Jeff Speakman. I can not remember the year. From that time until his death I saw him an average of 6 times per year either in the Pasadena Studio, International, or at our studio NPKK.

TCBKENPO

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I was at a tournament in Revere, Mass. run by the Cogliandros (I believe). A group of us were in the back (locker rooms), all mixed arts, mostly different Kem/npo schools. Multiple conversations were going on about techniques and executions of them, with all of the differing views. Next thing a voice chimes in from the outside of the group and it was Mr. Parker. My first impression was (not as nice in print here) Wow! What a big, intimidating guy. All got quiet, even those who didn't know who he was (believe it or not they existed at the time). Mr. Parker then taught a little, briefly, recommended, then questioned, questioned and questioned, with a grin.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure that I can say I "met" him ? It was at a seminar our Head Instructor sponsored in Cleveland,Ohio around "86" or so. I took a picture with him, and he signed my Infinite Insights copy. As he was signing the book he asked the name of my instructor,to which I replied Sensei whooziwhatitz. Mr.Parker said,not Sensei you mean Mister whooziwhatitz. I attempted to explain that Sensei instructed us(students) to call him Sensei, and that I meant no disrespect to him. Thinking about it later I wonder if Mr.Parker called him on it? Anyway that was my moment with The Mister.

1stJohn1:9