New Feature: Thanks

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There actually is a "No Thanks" addin, but I'm not sure about installing it.

I can see where it might lead to added tension in certain kinds of discussion...

Depends on if it's an "I don't want to receive thanks" (Thanks, but No Thanks) or a "No Thanks, that idea sucks" like a neg rep.

Let's give the positive Thanks button a run before we start messing with it, if you want my opinion.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice feature.

I think Kenpotalk had this as well.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for the new add feature it is bit annoying to me the way it appears in a thread but I am just fine with that I can easily move on to the next post and ignore it. But yet I do still think it is a good feature.

But this has made me wonder about something and I now have a question.

How is it that if someone clicks thanks you it shows who clicked it but the rep system can be done anonymously?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weird... when I push the button it disappears but nothing indicates that thanks were given. ???

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool feature. But, is it being used over rep points being given by members? At least trending that way? Maybe make a seperate counter or tie it into you rep points somehow?
It's a seperate system not connected with rep.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The rep system can be configured either way. So can this. I just decided that some public thanks would balance things out a bit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK

But if the rep system can be configured this way then why would you not want it to show who gave the rep? It may cut down on confusion as to who it was and abuse.

This is however your house so I go with what you decide I am just wondering and have wondered about this for awhile now.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because it's a trade off between keeping all the comments or a full complete wipe so that past dings don't lead to heat. Some of the comments (especially prior to the reset) were pretty harsh.

Personally, if there was an option to make public/rep anonymous I'd probably set it up for the rep system. Leave the option in peoples hands n all that. Staff can see who gave what, and people should know that we casually spot check the system as well as look into complaints. We've smacked a few hands, but not too many. Hey, we got good people here. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Because it's a trade off between keeping all the comments or a full complete wipe so that past dings don't lead to heat. Some of the comments (especially prior to the reset) were pretty harsh.

Personally, if there was an option to make public/rep anonymous I'd probably set it up for the rep system. Leave the option in peoples hands n all that. Staff can see who gave what, and people should know that we casually spot check the system as well as look into complaints. We've smacked a few hands, but not too many. Hey, we got good people here. :)

Thanks for the anwswer.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob,

One things I've really enjoyed about the recent upgrades to the site is the longer history for reputation. Gives you a reminder of what has recently been dished out.

Do you think you could do something similar for Thanks? I got a few the other day, and I had a hard time finding which posts they came from! I'd also not mind seeing which ones were handed out.

Would that be too difficult?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll snoop around and see if there's an extention available for the system. In the mean time, you can always find where you were thanked by going to your profile and clicking the "Find all thanked posts" link. Right next to it is a link to show all the posts you thanked too. :)