MMA vs Kung Fu Day 2 - The war room

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what MA skill do you intend to develop in the next 3 months?
Right now I'm focusing on my stances and footwork. The skill set that I will develop with be centered on that aspect of martial arts.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't suggest to develop "defense" skill. Why not try to develop "offense" skill
I agree. I don't want to think of things as "Only defense" or "Only offense" I think to do so will only cause me to run into dead end analysis and understanding of some of the techniques that I'm trying to understand.

A lot of times thinking that things are only defensive techniques will cause the practitioner to be blind to other uses of a technique. For example, Kung Fu thinks that all of their techniques are striking techniques and because of that, they are blind to the grappling techniques that they train every day.

The MMA guy showed me a defense to the single leg. He asked me to do a single leg take down on him. So I did. He locked me down where I couldn't lift his leg and what I felt and what he was describing felt like his body was in this position. Not the arm that was up, but the arm that was down. I'm not sure if that was is body position but that's what it felt like to me. I will ask him to show me again after I finish the high stance training I'm doing as I'm curious to see it from the outside.
1659232512466.png

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That sounds very abstract. With an abstract goal, it can be hard to judge your own progress.
It's only abstract for now because I have to find a new solution. I could use the solutions that I already know and be more specific, but then that means I'm not expanding my knowledge. However, if I'm right about the technique that has that short jump. Then I would have learned something completely new. Then I can specifically train for that new technique.

Right now I'm trying to discover what works and what doesn't and that journey is always abstract but in a good way.

1. Abstract: Fly to space
2. Discover of Abstract: Discover what works and what doesn't
3. Specific Development: Take what works and develop it.

I'm currently training at # 1 and training at #2. By taking what works and what doesn't work, I can start viewing the techniques as having characteristics of what works and what doesn't work. Then I can try the technique to see if I have enough understanding of it, to use the technique at the correct time and the correct manner. If I technique I choose doesn't work, then it's probably because I didn't understand it and I used it in a way that it wasn't intended for.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's only abstract for now because I have to find a new solution. I could use the solutions that I already know and be more specific, but then that means I'm not expanding my knowledge. However, if I'm right about the technique that has that short jump. Then I would have learned something completely new. Then I can specifically train for that new technique.

Right now I'm trying to discover what works and what doesn't and that journey is always abstract but in a good way.

1. Abstract: Fly to space
2. Discover of Abstract: Discover what works and what doesn't
3. Specific Development: Take what works and develop it.

I'm currently training at # 1 and training at #2. By taking what works and what doesn't work, I can start viewing the techniques as having characteristics of what works and what doesn't work.

I am sorry if you wanted something completely new. Try this one.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds very abstract. With an abstract goal, it can be hard to judge your own progress.
I disagree. I think focusing on utilizing your stances is a very specific goal. So long as you (in this case jowga) pay attention to the stances, when he used them, and how effective they were, he can see his own progress.

The big thing though I hope @JowGaWolf understands, is that stances aren't meant necessarily to be a spot you stay in and fight from. 90% of stances are transitionary, meaning they're just a moment in time as you move to the next stance, until you deliver your own strike. If you are staying in a stance for more than 5 seconds, you're likely doing something wrong.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree. I think focusing on utilizing your stances is a very specific goal.
If JowGaWolf tries to develop a specific entering strategy and a specific finish strategy, his goal will be more concrete.

Instead of to worry about how to deal with his opponent's attck, he should let his opponent to worry about his attack instead. The issue is what attack and how to set up that JowGaWolf intends to develop in the next 3 months?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If JowGaWolf tries to develop a specific entering strategy and a specific finish strategy, his goal will be more concrete.

Instead of to worry about how to deal with his opponent's attck, he should let his opponent to worry about his attack instead. The issue is what attack and how to set up that JowGaWolf intends to develop in the next 3 months?
That's another step in it. One step is practicing a specific stance, and learning how to attack and defend in it. You don't expect to win in that stance for a while, but it's useful.

Once you get good at it, you learn how to attack from it, or attack from an other stance and immediately retreat to it if your attack fails.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's another step in it. One step is practicing a specific stance, and learning how to attack and defend in it. You don't expect to win in that stance for a while, but it's useful.

Once you get good at it, you learn how to attack from it, or attack from an other stance and immediately retreat to it if your attack fails.
I assume JowGaWolf may have passed that training stage already.

It's not easy to find a sparring partner. Try to obtain the maximum training benefit is important.

Last edited:

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For example, Kung Fu thinks that all of their techniques are striking techniques and because of that, they are blind to the grappling techniques that they train every day.
You know amusingly I've been having the exact opposite debate somewhere else. Someone insisting that dan bien and xie xing can only ever be used as takedowns, and using them as strikes is just wrong, and only works against rubbish people 🤣

He even tried to make an argument to authority to someone he has met a handful of times from what I understand, but that same person teaches these moves as strikes.

There's some funny old people out there

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know amusingly I've been having the exact opposite debate somewhere else. Someone insisting that dan bien and xie xing can only ever be used as takedowns, and using them as strikes is just wrong, and only works against rubbish people 🤣
Agree with you 100% there. 1 point contact is only push. Multiple points contact is throw. But some people believe push = throw.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am sorry if you wanted something completely new. Try this one.

I'll pass lol. there was a time I could pull that off, but that day has long since gone. Just looking at it makes me think I'm going to be out for 5 weeks lol.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Instead of to worry about how to deal with his opponent's attck, he should let his opponent to worry about his attack instead.
I enjoy counter attacks and that requires me to be comfortable with my defenses as well has being able to bait my opponent. If I can control or encourage my opponent's movement then very few of his attacks will be a mystery. In this case, I will have to encourage him to do a single leg take down when I'm ready and when I want it.

It's not easy to find a sparring partner. Try to obtain the maximum training benefit is important.
I lucked up with this guy. He has trained TMA and MMA so it gives me a really good range of attacks and defenses.

He even tried to make an argument to authority to someone he has met a handful of times from what I understand, but that same person teaches these moves as strikes.

There's some funny old people out there
Tunnel Vision is TMA's worst enemy. It sneaks in, but that's not the worst. It can take months or days before the practitioner realizes that he's only been looking at one aspect of a technique and not the full options of a technique. This is bad for us, because kung fu people also say. "One technique could have multiple applications." but get into heated debates and say that "It's only used for this and not that" or "It's only used one way and not another"

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope I'll have a new single leg defense after tonight. Or at least one in the making.

Latest Discussions