MMA vs Kung Fu Day 1 Results

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I pretty much to this with most of my training. If I want to be able to do something at Level 5 then I need to train Level 6. If I want to do something at level 6 then I need to train at 7.
This is the way to go and is common in most higher-level sport training - and it's done for a reason.

Training is usually under ideal conditions - even floor, few distractions, knowing danger is minimized, etc. Real world fighting doesn't afford these luxuries. Not to be ignored is the fear/adrenalin factor in which thoughts of good form and controlled execution are greatly reduced. That level 7 consistent effectiveness in training goes down to level 5 in real application. So it only makes sense to train at level 9 to be able to perform at level 7 out in the street.

Kata training instills good form. When drilling, the 9th rep is as important as the 1st. Resistance and adding in stress factors (this can be creative and fun) during training is very helpful as well. In other words, training has to be multi-faceted to prepare one to deal with the pressures and surprises of an actual encounter.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not that bad, it's only a demo, it's hard to throw this in real fight.
I've thrown someone in a real fight. I've seen other people do it as well. It's a lot easier than people thing, because people stand up so tall in real street fights. There are lots of youtube videos of people getting thrown and slammed.

Watch the Judo competition, very seldom you see clean throw, nothing fancy, just dragging and tucking each other around.
Add your striking to Judo and then you'll start seeing clean throws. If the only thing you have to defend against is a throw then it's going to be difficult to get the throw. Getting punched and kicked will make you forget that your opponent may throw you.

The MMA guy did the same plan over an over when he went for the single leg on me. He punched my face to make me stand tall and while I was trying to defend against another incoming punch he was dropping low and getting the single leg. This is why you don't ever see me telling people that fighting in a tall stance is good.
If we look at this slow motion clip, when he does front kick, his knee raises very high. His front kick is like a downward curve.

private image hosting
The knee is high because he's kicking chest height. There would be no need to raise the knee that high if the kicks was waist high or the same height as his stomach.. I can go back and look at some of my kicks in actual use and you will see that there are different height levels for the kicks. If we go back and look at the post of me doing front kicks then you we should see something similar.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ha ha, I have been training balance in the shower!!! I pick up my foot, wash the foot toe by toe standing on one foot. That requires raising the knee pass horizontal so I can wash my toes!!! Then rinse the foot the exact same way, toe by toe!!! Then after shower, I dry my feet doing the same thing. Been doing this for like 3 years everyday!!
ha ha ha. the worse place to practice balance ha ha ha.. But I do the same too lol

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the pole? Does it make it that much harder?
Besides to train single leg balance hopping footwork, you also train head lock and leg twist at the same time. You try to kill 3 birds with 1 stone.

A hopping is the fast way to cover a short distace when needed. The pole is also the weight training.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ha ha ha. the worse place to practice balance ha ha ha.. But I do the same too lol
ha ha, I am glad I am not the only one that crazy. People think people that retire has a lot of time, I am still busy all the time. I don't want to do that in my exercise time, if I have to do everything during exercise, it will take too long.

People lost balance as they age, it's important to keep up. I remember I could do a side kick and held the leg up and freeze back in the good old days. Forget it now. It was like an alarm bell ringing when one time I had to just put the shoe on standing and I lost balance. My friend had to tell me to lean against the wall to put the shoe on. That was the turning point. I started practicing balance.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use fence pole to train my single leg balance,

Ha ha, I am way pass the hopping age already. My back won't take it. Besides, balance with weight is very different from without, using weight doesn't help daily balance.

Latest Discussions