MMA vs Kung Fu ..My new rival

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Turns out that one of the guys that comes into the heavy bag room used to be an MMA fighter.

Today must have been the day the rival starts. I was hitting the bags training my son and working on getting some good hits in myself. Then the MMA guys comes in. He saw me hitting the bag hard, so he hit his bag harder, then Kung Fu Ego got in the mix. I started to strike the bag harder. Not with my fists, my fist is still bruised. But I start landing my kicks harder, then he ups his game and he nails the bag harder. Keep in mind neither one of us have gloves on. It didn't matter to me since I wasn't punching lol. After he started hitting harder, I remember seeing him throwing elbows, so I threw my elbow sets. At this point all you hear are those 2 bags bouncing and the frame that holds them up shaking. Then I gave out of gas. He out lasted me, but I found comfort I was able to nail those one minute rounds with hire intensity and I was hitting the bags 30 minutes before he got in there. It felt good. But I'm no where near the shape I was 7 years ago. There's no way I could last one round against that guy in a fight. It gives me something shoot for though, gives me a target to overcome.

I have 2 healing days coming and I'm going to make the most of it. I'm also going to get back in to my training. Gotta stay focused on my own path. Eventually my path will reach a higher level, but I can't make that other guy the goal. Still it was nice to have that competitivness around. It's been a while since I had that feeling. I really miss sparring.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Turns out that one of the guys that comes into the heavy bag room used to be an MMA fighter.

Healthy competition; hitting the bag alone can be boring & lonely. Even the warmup should be a competition. Keeps everyone motivated to work harder.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Healthy competition; hitting the bag alone can be boring & lonely. Even the warmup should be a competition. Keeps everyone motivated to work harder.
Yep. that's exactly what it is. Conditioning wise he's got me beat by miles, but now a have that solid visual that reminds me not to be slack. He's one of the few that actually works out on the bag so it's a constant reminder of "That guy can knock me out. Work harder" My endurance is coming back which is going to give me a real opportunity to push myself next month. I'm hoping my son will be up to the challenge. He hasn't found his rival yet, but he gives it his best.

When I'm in a room full of people working out hard, it encourages me more to give it my all and not to be the lazy guy.