Last Poster #7

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feeling bittersweet…

23 years ago today, I started in my career as a police officer. It had taken me years and many attempts to finally get hired. I was excited, proud of my new agency, and looking forward with a little nervousness to the academy and my career.

Well, I got through the academy, and survived my first year. It had its bumpy moments – but some cool stuff, too. I’ve seen things that I’d never wish on my worst enemy – and been privileged to be there at fantastic moments in people’s lives. I’ve locked a few folks up that really deserved it, kept a few out of jail that didn’t belong there, and even saved a few lives. Thankfully, I haven’t taken any. Along the way, I’ve been a task force officer working street gangs, herded cats as a patrol supervisor, and herded crazed cats on meth as an investigations supervisor. I look around, and sometimes wonder why all these kids are running around playing cops and robbers… and where’d all the guys I knew go. I see colleagues that I would sit car-to-car with from other agencies who are now deputy chiefs and chiefs.

I’m on my third chief. I’ve seen our command staff restructured a couple of times. I still see some of the same challenges (why can’t we have enough cars for a squad to hit the street without bandaiding them in lot?) persist, and new issues come up. I still don’t get why it is that so many command staff types seem to feel that sharing information or letting the line officers have real input is such a bad thing… I’ve seen golden children come and go, some to soar, others crashed and burned.

Currently, I’m trying to decide if it’s time for a new phase in my life. What do I want to do as a “grown up?” Do I retire? What do I want to do for the next ten or twenty years? I still love being a cop – I like interacting with people, I like the folks working for me (I oughta…. I hired most of them!) and see big things down the road for them. I kind of want to be there to see that… but I also see the back room politics and have a pretty good idea where I stand in them. I see the drama, and I see the things that excited me buried behind the petty crap and games and nonsense that detract from the job.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Feeling bittersweet…

23 years ago today, I started in my career as a police officer. It had taken me years and many attempts to finally get hired. I was excited, proud of my new agency, and looking forward with a little nervousness to the academy and my career.

Well, I got through the academy, and survived my first year. It had its bumpy moments – but some cool stuff, too. I’ve seen things that I’d never wish on my worst enemy – and been privileged to be there at fantastic moments in people’s lives. I’ve locked a few folks up that really deserved it, kept a few out of jail that didn’t belong there, and even saved a few lives. Thankfully, I haven’t taken any. Along the way, I’ve been a task force officer working street gangs, herded cats as a patrol supervisor, and herded crazed cats on meth as an investigations supervisor. I look around, and sometimes wonder why all these kids are running around playing cops and robbers… and where’d all the guys I knew go. I see colleagues that I would sit car-to-car with from other agencies who are now deputy chiefs and chiefs.

I’m on my third chief. I’ve seen our command staff restructured a couple of times. I still see some of the same challenges (why can’t we have enough cars for a squad to hit the street without bandaiding them in lot?) persist, and new issues come up. I still don’t get why it is that so many command staff types seem to feel that sharing information or letting the line officers have real input is such a bad thing… I’ve seen golden children come and go, some to soar, others crashed and burned.

Currently, I’m trying to decide if it’s time for a new phase in my life. What do I want to do as a “grown up?” Do I retire? What do I want to do for the next ten or twenty years? I still love being a cop – I like interacting with people, I like the folks working for me (I oughta…. I hired most of them!) and see big things down the road for them. I kind of want to be there to see that… but I also see the back room politics and have a pretty good idea where I stand in them. I see the drama, and I see the things that excited me buried behind the petty crap and games and nonsense that detract from the job.

A good friend of mine retired from a city PD after 30 years..... shortly thereafter he went to work as a patrol officer in the county sheriff's office in the adjacent county..... then he ran for election as a local judge and was a judge for awhile.... I have not seen him in years so I do not know what he is doing these days, I'm hoping enjoying his retirement.

Another good friend retired after 20 from a city PD, then moved to Florida with his wife.... where he spent the next few years giving out parking tickets.... he is now in California, and the last I knew he was spending much of his day working out.

best of luck in whatever you decide

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Want some healthy foods this weekend, but also don't feel like spending too much time cooking. Any suggestions on what to make?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Want some healthy foods this weekend, but also don't feel like spending too much time cooking. Any suggestions on what to make?

Not Bacon :D

Fruit, whole grain cereal, wheat toast, instant oatmeal, peanut butter, apple butter, almond butter, sunflower butter. Scramble an egg does not tke to much cooking

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not Bacon :D

Fruit, whole grain cereal, wheat toast, instant oatmeal, peanut butter, apple butter, almond butter, sunflower butter. Scramble an egg does not tke to much cooking
This gave me an idea that sounds like it won't work, but that's why I want to try it. A peanut butter and egg sandwich.
Now the question-do I mix the peanut butter into the egg before cooking, or treat it like a normal peanut butter sandwich with scrambled eggs in the middle?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This gave me an idea that sounds like it won't work, but that's why I want to try it. A peanut butter and egg sandwich.
Now the question-do I mix the peanut butter into the egg before cooking, or treat it like a normal peanut butter sandwich with scrambled eggs in the middle?
You get yourself treated for whatever brain damage caused you to think that might be a good idea!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You get yourself treated for whatever brain damage caused you to think that might be a good idea!
Funnily enough, I am getting an MRI on my brain Tuesday!
They'll find everything is normal though...maybe you should get one to make sure you're not the one with sensory brain damage.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’ve never tried it, but I’m having a hard time imagining how the egg would cook if you mix it in to the PB raw. If I were going to do this, I think I’d make a spicy peanut butter sauce to put over scrambled eggs. I would probably use an English muffin or something like that.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tuna melt, make it like a grilled cheese sandwich , tuna mix with mayo, put it on the bread add a slice of cheese and make it like a grilled cheese. Ground turkey sloppy joes, simple put the ground meat in a skillet cook for about 10min or until done then add the sloppy joe sauce and let it simmer a few minutes, serve on bread or a Bun.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve never tried it, but I’m having a hard time imagining how the egg would cook if you mix it in to the PB raw. If I were going to do this, I think I’d make a spicy peanut butter sauce to put over scrambled eggs. I would probably use an English muffin or something like that.
The issue with that is that those peanut butter sauces aren't generally healthy unless you home-make it, so I'd either have to put in effort or eat less healthy then I'd like.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tuna melt, make it like a grilled cheese sandwich , tuna mix with mayo, put it on the bread add a slice of cheese and make it like a grilled cheese. Ground turkey sloppy joes, simple put the ground meat in a skillet cook for about 10min or until done then add the sloppy joe sauce and let it simmer a few minutes, serve on bread or a Bun.
No tuna melt for me, too much mayo, but a turkey sloppy joe could be doable with the right veggies on the side...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Google says that mixing it can work surprisingly well. not sure if I trust it, but we'll find out!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The issue with that is that those peanut butter sauces aren't generally healthy unless you home-make it, so I'd either have to put in effort or eat less healthy then I'd like.
I hear you, but it’s functionally about the same as making a cocktail. No cooking. Peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, a little brown sugar, some ginger and garlic. Maybe a little chili sauce or sriracha.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Feeling bittersweet…

I was sure I was going to miss being a police officer. Would have bet my eye teeth on it. I was so wrong.

I do not miss one thing about it. Actually having a difficult time believing I ever wore a badge.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

why normal sandwich of course.....instead of a PBJ Sandwich you will have a PBE Sandwich

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I am getting an MRI on my brain Tuesday!
They'll find everything is normal though...maybe you should get one to make sure you're not the one with sensory brain damage.
Hell, I KNOW I'm brain damaged... but I'm still not thinking that an egg and peanut butter sandwich is a good idea!

Latest Discussions