Reaction score

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That season, and that scene in particular, was incredibly stupid. Such an incredible cop out.
Loved every second of that episode. Can't please everyone but that is especially true for fantasy and scifi nerds. Sorry you didn't like it. Maybe the last books will actually come out some day ;)

Arya Stark rules the North. And Jon snuffing You Know Who at the end...had to happen. She was bad news. Apparently everyone was rooting for her at the end...which is kind of disturbing..people are a little too into antiheroes these days. I blame Marvel.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Loved every second of that episode. Can't please everyone but that is especially true for fantasy and scifi nerds. Sorry you didn't like it. Maybe the last books will actually come out some day ;)

Arya Stark rules the North. And Jon snuffing You Know Who at the end...had to happen. She was bad news. Apparently everyone was rooting for her at the end...which is kind of disturbing..people are a little too into antiheroes these days. I blame Marvel.
To be honest, I thought that the entire 8th season was lazy writing and a huge cop out. I wasn't rooting for anyone. In that scene, Arya basically killed the show. That was a non-sensical scene written to conveniently, magically solve the existential threat to humanity that everyone was too shallow and short sighted to see. Thematically, she killed everything that was great about the show, which was the higher level message that humans will continue to squabble and fight for power, ignoring the thing that will ultimately end their existence. Not speaking as a scifi or fantasy nerd, but just as someone who does a lot of writing and appreciates a well written story.

And in the end, to "elect" the guy who can literally see into everyone's innermost thoughts... who can review first hand anything that has happened anywhere. Good lord that was stupid.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought that the entire 8th season was lazy writing and a huge cop out. I wasn't rooting for anyone. In that scene, Arya basically killed the show. That was a non-sensical scene written to conveniently, magically solve the existential threat to humanity that everyone was too shallow and short sighted to see. Thematically, she killed everything that was great about the show, which was the higher level message that humans will continue to squabble and fight for power, ignoring the thing that will ultimately end their existence. Not speaking as a scifi or fantasy nerd, but just as someone who does a lot of writing and appreciates a well written story.

And in the end, to "elect" the guy who can literally see into everyone's innermost thoughts... who can review first hand anything that has happened anywhere. Good lord that was stupid.
At least it wasn't like the Sopranos ending. Talk about a cop out.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At least it wasn't like the Sopranos ending. Talk about a cop out.
I haven't seen the Sopranos. There were a few red flags in Season 7 of GoT that I chose to ignore. But they just phoned season 8 in. It was like they said, "Okay guys. We're all tired of this and have other projects we'd rather be working on. Let's just get through this as quickly as we can." And as a result, they made a lot of really, really lazy decisions, ultimately choosing the absolute dumbest way to end the thing possible.

In the writer's room:
Alright... we have to deal with the Night King. He's pretty inconvenient, and we like the political squabbling more... how can we deal with him by the end of episode 3? Arya could just stab him with her dagger. Yeah, that's good... she does well with the focus groups, and the fanbois on reddit like her... but what about his army? What if... and hear me out... what if when Arya kills him, it magically kills ALL of them and solves the climate crisis... I mean existential threat to humanity in one scene?

Do it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Sopranos. There were a few red flags in Season 7 of GoT that I chose to ignore. But they just phoned season 8 in. It was like they said, "Okay guys. We're all tired of this and have other projects we'd rather be working on. Let's just get through this as quickly as we can." And as a result, they made a lot of really, really lazy decisions, ultimately choosing the absolute dumbest way to end the thing possible.

In the writer's room:
Alright... we have to deal with the Night King. He's pretty inconvenient, and we like the political squabbling more... how can we deal with him by the end of episode 3? Arya could just stab him with her dagger. Yeah, that's good... she does well with the focus groups, and the fanbois on reddit like her... but what about his army? What if... and hear me out... what if when Arya kills him, it magically kills ALL of them and solves the climate crisis... I mean existential threat to humanity in one scene?

Do it.
Well, the old "kill the master, the minions fall" is a very old and re-used trope, especially common in stories about the undead.

I think the HBO writers were probably also hamstrung by a lack of actual written material to go over. I never read the books but I know they diverged at some point solely because the dude writing the actual books is kind of lazy and somehow moved on and will probably die before he eve finishes.

So yes, onto the next show.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the old "kill the master, the minions fall" is a very old and re-used trope, especially common in stories about the undead.

I think the HBO writers were probably also hamstrung by a lack of actual written material to go over. I never read the books but I know they diverged at some point solely because the dude writing the actual books is kind of lazy and somehow moved on and will probably die before he eve finishes.

☺️🤣

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Well, it's true that he'll probably not finish the books. Through the first 6 seasons, they had the written materials, and then extensive notes and outlines. So, you can see in Season 7, momentum carried some of the storylines forward. But it was in Season 8 that the script writers were really on their own to produce new content, and boy did they screw it up.

But hamstrung? Really? Like a group of professional writers were unable to write a decent story without George R.R. Martin to spoon feed story beats that make sense doesn't speak well of those professional writers. They were some combination of incompetent and unengaged.

BTW, I hope this isn't coming across too strong. I like talking about movies and TV shows (and books) and do so with my friends often. GoT is something we talked about at length. I don't take it too seriously, but I also don't see why we shouldn't call out incompetence when we see it.

There are some great ones out now, and some that were solid misses. The Peripheral on Amazon Prime is a pleasant surprise. Not at all on my radar, but one I am really looking forward to each week. So good.

Andor is also terrific, with great writing.

Rings of Power was good, but not great. I'd call it a near miss. Good enough that I'm looking forward to a second season, but it definitely suffered from lazy writing.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's true that he'll probably not finish the books. Through the first 6 seasons, they had the written materials, and then extensive notes and outlines. So, you can see in Season 7, momentum carried some of the storylines forward. But it was in Season 8 that the script writers were really on their own to produce new content, and boy did they screw it up.

But hamstrung? Really? Like a group of professional writers were unable to write a decent story without George R.R. Martin to spoon feed story beats that make sense doesn't speak well of those professional writers. They were some combination of incompetent and unengaged.

BTW, I hope this isn't coming across too strong. I like talking about movies and TV shows (and books) and do so with my friends often. GoT is something we talked about at length. I don't take it too seriously, but I also don't see why we shouldn't call out incompetence when we see it.

There are some great ones out now, and some that were solid misses. The Peripheral on Amazon Prime is a pleasant surprise. Not at all on my radar, but one I am really looking forward to each week. So good.

Andor is also terrific, with great writing.

Rings of Power was good, but not great. I'd call it a near miss. Good enough that I'm looking forward to a second season, but it definitely suffered from lazy writing.
You're not the first person I've met who was greatly invested in the series and felt let down at the end. For me, it's just another show (but I love underdogs dude, Arya sold that with all the fencing, blind fighting, disguises, and ultimate vengeance).

Not a big Tolkien fan, but I've been meaning to watch that.

Andor triggered some sort of latent post traumatic stress with me though. Haven't had the heart for episode 2, working on that.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roommate and BFF has COVID again.

Making a turkey soup with french tarragon and threw a splash of MSG in disguised as bullion.

Life is short and if you're lucky, sweet.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what would make a guy do this:
a couple of years before my kid graduated the band director told kids in the beginner class 'if you are just here because your parents make you, get out'
after that, the 6th grade band was smaller than the 7th grade class.
This was a man who spent at least 40 years of his professional career building marching bands.
He retired like 2 or 3 years ago, basically leaving his successor a wrecked program.

One of the 'kids' who marched when my kid started out works at a local retailer. She said 'I was at one game, it was too sad what happened to the band to go back'
I wish I would have had a ticket for the 2 billion powerball.
I would have given the school a chunk of money to take this man's name of the band room! There was a graduate from the school who actually went on to accomplish more than 'just' teaching music. He is a composer and a nice fellow.
I find it inexcusable to turn kids away from music, especially at the middle school age, when they should try as many things as they can.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
what would make a guy do this:
a couple of years before my kid graduated the band director told kids in the beginner class 'if you are just here because your parents make you, get out'
after that, the 6th grade band was smaller than the 7th grade class.
This was a man who spent at least 40 years of his professional career building marching bands.
He retired like 2 or 3 years ago, basically leaving his successor a wrecked program.

One of the 'kids' who marched when my kid started out works at a local retailer. She said 'I was at one game, it was too sad what happened to the band to go back'
I wish I would have had a ticket for the 2 billion powerball.
I would have given the school a chunk of money to take this man's name of the band room! There was a graduate from the school who actually went on to accomplish more than 'just' teaching music. He is a composer and a nice fellow.
I find it inexcusable to turn kids away from music, especially at the middle school age, when they should try as many things as they can.
I play a couple dozen instruments, varying levels of poor.

Some band directors can be pretty evil. They made a movie about it

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I play a couple dozen instruments, varying levels of poor.

Some band directors can be pretty evil. They made a movie about it

when the kid started the guy was not evil.
But he progressed to having favorites and really screwing the lesser students over (like not telling the lefty that drum majoring is done right-handed....until tryout day!)
I lost a lot of respect for the guy.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
But he progressed to having favorites and really screwing the lesser students over (like not telling the lefty that drum majoring is done right-handed....until tryout day!)
Somebody just asked me to tutor them in geometry.

I'm tired.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I fully get not pushing school age kids too far. Whiplash would not fall in that category to me. If a trainer sees greatness in you, And you have personally chosen to go down that road, being pushed and stretched beyond your limits has to be expected.
Whether it is done tactfully or not, now that is a different question.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He probably got burned out with students arguing, and finding students with promise that he'd put effort into helping just drop out suddenly. Especially with the 'if you are just here because your parents make you, get out' line.

Not excusing, just explaining. And good news is he must have realized if he retired 2 years after that. Bad news is he didn't realize (or take action) earlier.