Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Debating...should I join an existing school, or create my own group? Free of charge, teach kali (since that does not seem to be prevalent here) while also offering sparring/open mat. Entirely for free, people could train where they want, learn weapons from me, and give me ample sparring partners to keep me in fighting shape. I wouldn't gain money from it, but it wouldn't cost me anything and seems like a pretty good deal if I could get it going.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Debating...should I join an existing school, or create my own group? Free of charge, teach kali (since that does not seem to be prevalent here) while also offering sparring/open mat. Entirely for free, people could train where they want, learn weapons from me, and give me ample sparring partners to keep me in fighting shape. I wouldn't gain money from it, but it wouldn't cost me anything and seems like a pretty good deal if I could get it going.
If you have a good venue and mats, it could work.
Have you seen a dramatic change in population density compared to what you were used to?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I see no reason not to try this.
I would just recommend the standard liability waivers and insurance depending upon location and environment.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

one of the best experiences I had in martial arts was when my first Shifu decided to let us have a sparring group in his guan on Saturday afternoons. All styles welcome, free of charge.

I vote go for it, give it a try and see how it goes.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The world needs more FMA schools that are good.

I've thought about doing the same thing with Kung Fu. It sucks to have so much practice and knowledge banked and keep it to yourself. Most of my personal Kung Fu training with senior instructors now is 1:1, and I miss class atmosphere (still thinking about finishing judo BB...)

Would you be teaching out of your home? I'd look into insurance and make your you have liability coverage for a home based gym business or whatever. Your classes could be 100% free then somebody gets hurt and now they own your place.

Never ran a school myself but I'm sure someone here knows what's what

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nothing like needing to get stuff done yesterday.
So, after going through 2 time changes, a transatlantic flight, and a killer hangover (don't ask, I should have known better.....)
I need to clean the whole house up like yesterday.
I suppose I will get there. Day before yesterday.

and I prefer nurses over doctors....they are more respectful of people's time.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a real jerk. But I'm also funny, even if @PhotonGuy hasn't realized it.

Everybody knows that if you put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, Santa kills an elf.
One of the grandkids started putting up this tree November 1st.
IMG_5667.JPG

When they come home from school today, there's a little surprise for them.
IMG_5668.JPG IMG_5669.JPG IMG_5670.JPG

I want to point out that the noose has the correct 13 loops. A good hangman's noose is no laughing matter.

Before anybody loses their mind, we're talking about a Junior in HS. So I'm not leaving scars on the psyche of some 4 year old.

This time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm a real jerk. But I'm also funny, even if @PhotonGuy hasn't realized it.

Everybody knows that if you put up Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, Santa kills an elf.
One of the grandkids started putting up this tree November 1st.
View attachment 29270

When they come home from school today, there's a little surprise for them.
View attachment 29271 View attachment 29272 View attachment 29273

I want to point out that the noose has the correct 13 loops. A good hangman's noose is no laughing matter.

Before anybody loses their mind, we're talking about a Junior in HS. So I'm not leaving scars on the psyche of some 4 year old.

This time.

Years ago when I was engaged to a woman between wives. The office I worked in decorated pillars on the first floor at Christmas. Someone made a bunch of angles and hung them all away around the pillar.... with piano wire.... around their necks.... my fiancee, at the time, a catholic who sung in her churches choir, looked at them and said..... "Angels we have hung on high"

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gotta say... I am thoroughy enjoying the zochi thread! What a rollercoaster of emotion!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay.... that's now like... I've spent all of tonight... about 15+ mosquitoes I've hunted down in the house tonight... I think they may just have taken over the house. It's quite possible this may just be my life now...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay.... that's now like... I've spent all of tonight... about 15+ mosquitoes I've hunted down in the house tonight... I think they may just have taken over the house. It's quite possible this may just be my life now...
That sounds bad. Do those zapper things work?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds bad. Do those zapper things work?
Yeah they work pretty well, I've got two of them outside, may have to bring them inside. It's such an old house so there are bound to be holes around they're getting through..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah they work pretty well, I've got two of them outside, may have to bring them inside. It's such an old house so there are bound to be holes around they're getting through..
Yikes. I am very attractive to chiggers and mosquitos. I get eaten alive. Thinking about having them in mg home sounds pretty miserable. I hope you get some relief, my friend.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yikes. I am very attractive to chiggers and mosquitos. I get eaten alive. Thinking about having them in mg home sounds pretty miserable. I hope you get some relief, my friend.
Yep I'm the same, if I'm in a room with 50 people, and there are 2 mosquitos, I'll get bitten 100 times lol. Cheers

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Me and my brother have done three bear hunts in Alaska. The number one thing to prepare for are the mosquitos. It is absolutely insane how many are flying around in that climate. It will be 30° or colder and we will be wearing a mosquito net. They literally eat you alive. And I never knew they will crawl.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me and my brother have done three bear hunts in Alaska. The number one thing to prepare for are the mosquitos. It is absolutely insane how many are flying around in that climate. It will be 30° or colder and we will be wearing a mosquito net. They literally eat you alive. And I never knew they will crawl.
Snowmelt is a perfect breeding ground for them. What time of year did you go? From what I know (have family there) it's kind of a seasonal/summer thing, there's a sweet spot between June and July that creates some crazy swarms.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Snowmelt is a perfect breeding ground for them. What time of year did you go? From what I know (have family there) it's kind of a seasonal/summer thing, there's a sweet spot between June and July that creates some crazy swarms.
We have been in August & September. It is crazy intense with mosquitos.

Latest Discussions