Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tried a little cottage cheese today, not even a teaspoons worth.... that was a mistake.

But there is some good news, got the tests back from the MD and all came back negative so I am hoping this is just some sort of rather virulent stomach bug
Avoid dairy at all costs when your gut is whacky.

Normally people (without dairy issues) benefit from milk products, they coat the stomach and give a temporary relief from things like excess acid from foods, alcohol burns etc.

But if you have a gut filled with bad bacteria or virus, the lactose is gonna inflame, and potentially give whatevers in there a nice big meal of sugar, which they will fart out as hydrogen, and you know what happens next.

One option other than bland BRAT stuff, a little creamy peanut butter, the fiber is gut healthy, pro-biotic, and helps things move along down the road.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Avoid dairy at all costs when your gut is whacky.

Normally people (without dairy issues) benefit from milk products, they coat the stomach and give a temporary relief from things like excess acid from foods, alcohol burns etc.

But if you have a gut filled with bad bacteria or virus, the lactose is gonna inflame, and potentially give whatevers in there a nice big meal of sugar, which they will fart out as hydrogen, and you know what happens next.

One option other than bland BRAT stuff, a little creamy peanut butter, the fiber is gut healthy, pro-biotic, and helps things move along down the road.

Yeah, I know, I was just being stupid, and gave into the temptation....that and my stomach was not bothering me at the moment..... I was also craving a corn muffin...that the cottage cheese incident stopped..... and I most CERTAINLY did not tell Mrs Xue about this. I did not want to have an all evening long lecture...and peanut butter has been my friend again for about a week now

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Working on a Thai Peanut Butter baby back recipe with a soy-ginger glaze.

It's either going to hit or miss but confidence is high.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Here's a good one. We bought a property in Canada that we rent, therefore we need to pay income tax.
Paid already maybe, bank says we paid, emails from the income tax folks say we didn't. So I called the income tax folks.

They cannot give me any information because I can't answer the personal security questions that I never set up and they can't access our previous income tax forms for conformation that we never filed before because we never had to pay income tax in Canada before....

Sounding really Catch 22 to me

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Here's a good one. We bought a property in Canada that we rent, therefore we need to pay income tax.
Paid already maybe, bank says we paid, emails from the income tax folks say we didn't. So I called the income tax folks.

They cannot give me any information because I can't answer the personal security questions that I never set up and they can't access our previous income tax forms for conformation that we never filed before because we never had to pay income tax in Canada before....

Oof. That sounds frustrating.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Confusing and unhelpful government offices? Wow, whoda thunk it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HOA meetings are SOOOOO boring.
Did you actively choose to be in an HOA, or was that just what was in your area?

And do you feel like there are any advantages to it? All I read online are horror stories, but it's tough to tell if HOA's are really that bad, or the only people who post about them are ones that have a reason to post.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something that got missed thanks to the whole Chris Rock/Will Smith debacle...
The industry really has no respect for animated films. They seem to think it's something just for kids. And that opinion seems prevalent in a lot of people between 40 and 65 (above 65 I've noticed they're more open-minded).

In reality, animated films are just like any other films. The only real difference is that everything is drawn instead of acted. And the emotion is in the voice actors. Which has its pros and cons, but there are things it allows that normal actors wouldn't be able to do by the logistics of being human. And the reverse, there are things you just can't capture in drawings. But neither medium is more adult or childish than the other.

And multiple people at the oscars this year claimed any drawings are for children. Which isn't true and really hurts all the cartoonists, animators and voice actors out there, who are part of the same union (if I'm remembering right) as the actors themselves.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something that got missed thanks to the whole Chris Rock/Will Smith debacle...
The industry really has no respect for animated films. They seem to think it's something just for kids. And that opinion seems prevalent in a lot of people between 40 and 65 (above 65 I've noticed they're more open-minded).

In reality, animated films are just like any other films. The only real difference is that everything is drawn instead of acted. And the emotion is in the voice actors. Which has its pros and cons, but there are things it allows that normal actors wouldn't be able to do by the logistics of being human. And the reverse, there are things you just can't capture in drawings. But neither medium is more adult or childish than the other.

And multiple people at the oscars this year claimed any drawings are for children. Which isn't true and really hurts all the cartoonists, animators and voice actors out there, who are part of the same union (if I'm remembering right) as the actors themselves.
with computer aided animation, I suppose that will change.
It is indeed a fallacy that animated subjects are for kids (or even kid friendly)
Not sure when it started, 'cartoons' are not cool for grownups?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure when it started, 'cartoons' are not cool for grownups?
Cartoons have been cool for grown ups since 20 years after they existed. You don't hear kids talking about snow white, but I've mentioned it to my grandma, and my friends grandparents, and they love talking about that movie. At some point it's been decided new animation is just for kids, while everyone loves animation from their childhood, and I don't get it.

It especially confuses me, since the movies I watched continuously as a kid (Star wars, Harry potter and mostly pirates of the caribbean) were all live action. the first of each of those series I can probably still quote scene by scene. Yet somehow, I was obsessed with cartoon movies, if modern oscars and media are to be believed.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cartoons have been cool for grown ups since 20 years after they existed. You don't hear kids talking about snow white, but I've mentioned it to my grandma, and my friends grandparents, and they love talking about that movie. At some point it's been decided new animation is just for kids, while everyone loves animation from their childhood, and I don't get it.

It especially confuses me, since the movies I watched continuously as a kid (Star wars, Harry potter and mostly pirates of the caribbean) were all live action. the first of each of those series I can probably still quote scene by scene. Yet somehow, I was obsessed with cartoon movies, if modern oscars and media are to be believed.
the original animated features were not for kids
Felix the cat etc....(the shootem ups western were for kids, go figure)
But you see this in TV a lot: Naruto, lol, funny little ninja dude. Gets dark very fast!
Even One Piece....
I am not even sure Yugioh is safe for kids!
But animated, eh.....

I saw the animate Lord of the Rings back in the day.....I was a kid....it was the only movie ever to give me real nightmares.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still can't believe it... but waterfall training tomorrow! YUP! Something I've aaaalways wanted to do, and was invited by some of my old Kyokushin family. Really excited :)

download.jpeg.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know, with this stomach thing I should not have eaten it, but it was fresh, and homemade by a friend of Mrs Xue's, and I love these things.

IMG_1089.jpg

And yes I paid for it later, but it was worth it. now the big problem is maintaining the will power to not eat the 4 that are left

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Did you actively choose to be in an HOA, or was that just what was in your area?

And do you feel like there are any advantages to it? All I read online are horror stories, but it's tough to tell if HOA's are really that bad, or the only people who post about them are ones that have a reason to post.
They have a use. The horror stories occur when people get a little crazy, but they keep people accountable for maintaining their home, not painting it purple and gold. They maintain the parks and common areas.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know, with this stomach thing I should not have eaten it, but it was fresh, and homemade by a friend of Mrs Xue's, and I love these things.

IMG_1089.jpg

And yes I paid for it later, but it was worth it. now the big problem is maintaining the will power to not eat the 4 that are left
They look delicious!

Latest Discussions