Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just discovered, I don't like gluten free bread
It really depends on how it's made, the exact flours involved. If done wrong, tastes like paper, but the good breads are indistinguishable or even tastier (sugars like coconut or tapioca are often substituted for wheat).

This is the good stuff, you can find it in most supermarkets and online. I prefer the Ancient Grain varieties, but the white and rye are both great.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It really depends on how it's made, the exact flours involved.

This is the good stuff, you can find it in most supermarkets and online. I prefer the Ancient Grain varieties, but the white and rye are both great.

My wife tried to pass off some spelt cookies tome as normal, like I wouldn’t notice. :vomit:

Ha! Good luck on that! Tasted like sand. I’m not buying.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife tried to pass off some spelt cookies tome as normal, like I wouldn’t notice. :vomit:

Ha! Good luck on that! Tasted like sand. I’m not buying.
There's a science to proper gluten free cooking that's a little different. Sometimes you need to add extra things, or avoid others entirely (like undistilled vinegar, malt flavorings).

Baking anything gluten free without a binder like xanthan gum is bound to give it that grainy, sandy texture.

You can't even really make a GF muffin without it, it would fall apart like a sand castle muffin. A little xanthan changes the entire experience.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It really depends on how it's made, the exact flours involved. If done wrong, tastes like paper, but the good breads are indistinguishable or even tastier (sugars like coconut or tapioca are often substituted for wheat).

it had a greesy aftere taste...and the taste in general was a bit reminiscent of cardboard

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a science to proper gluten free cooking that's a little different. Sometimes you need to add extra things, or avoid others entirely (like undistilled vinegar, malt flavorings).

Baking anything gluten free without a binder like xanthan gum is bound to give it that grainy, sandy texture.

You can't even really make a GF muffin without it, it would fall apart like a sand castle muffin. A little xanthan changes the entire experience.
You eat it. I’m good with old fashioned toll house choc chip. I don’t eat sweets except rarely. I’m sure not wasting my time with those crappy sand cookies again. There is Something I forgot to tell you that you might find interesting…

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's because it's not bread -- it's bread-like substance.
Gluten free bread is real bread. There are a lot of different flours used to make bread and baked goods. Some are bland (rice) some sweet (coconut), earthy (sorghum).

Wheat flour has never been necessary for making bread.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
....wait....4am...where the heck are you?
Oh, I did not post this here.
A couple of days ago I bought a new game for my Nintendo Switch. Harvest Moon Light of Hope.
So I started playing
Ah, just one more 'day'
and another
and then it was 4 AM....the day following a brief nap was not too cool.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh, I did not post this here.
A couple of days ago I bought a new game for my Nintendo Switch. Harvest Moon Light of Hope.
So I started playing
Ah, just one more 'day'
and another
and then it was 4 AM....the day following a brief nap was not too cool.

you were just trying to confuse us

Latest Discussions