Last Poster #7

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ate sushi the other day and I did the strangest thing too. I used soy sauce and you know what? My friends were right! It's a good combo! Gave it an unusual salty taste.

I never bothered to use soy sauce before. Its weeeird. It looks like maple syrup and before this point I never knew what it tasted like.

The yellow stuff that looks like boiled cabbage is alright. Wasabe still tastes nasty. Even with soy sauce.
I was the exact same with soy sauce!!! It looked dicey and I didn't know what it was... but finally tried it with sushi, and there is NO going back.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anybody can translate this.
View attachment 28107
It's in the bottom of a bowl they got at a flea market. They think this is a signature. But since I don't speak or write Japanese, I can't really say more than that.
I tried running the first character through a couple translate apps, and it came up with nothing similar. My guess is it's an amalgamation of a couple characters/meant to "look japanese". Hopefully one of the people here that are more familiar with japanese can answer.

I haven't seen hyoho post in a bit, but his profile says he was last on a couple days ago. He helped me translate a friends tattoo in the past (which did not mean what she thought), so reaching out to him might help.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, Soylent Green isn't a condiment. Soylent Green is people.... it's PEOPLE!!!!

View attachment 28108

Good to know. Apparently, most of what's sold in Japan is also fake. Who knew? Apparently you guys! :)

Reminds me of the fake fish industry. Most of what people get isn't what they think.
As long as it's real people!

Wonder if there's an organic range...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again for your thoughts guys. We don't really know what to do with ourselves at the moment... feels wrong without her here.

Training in the dojo this morning really helped. And everyone's support has been overwhelming, very grateful. We have way too much food in the fridge from everyone haha so that takes one thing off our mind we don't have to worry about.

On top of things, had a minor car accident on Wednesday afternoon. No one was hurt thank goodness, but my front bumper was ripped right off. Not a great week at all...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Calamari is a lot like a chitlin, especially when fried.
I had calamari and squid....not pork bungholes though
Thanks again for your thoughts guys. We don't really know what to do with ourselves at the moment... feels wrong without her here.

Training in the dojo this morning really helped. And everyone's support has been overwhelming, very grateful. We have way too much food in the fridge from everyone haha so that takes one thing off our mind we don't have to worry about.

On top of things, had a minor car accident on Wednesday afternoon. No one was hurt thank goodness, but my front bumper was ripped right off. Not a great week at all...
when it rains it pours, right!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s just rumor. I doubt it’s true. Well maybe once somebody did it. That would make sense.
I've got some bad news, even if it's not true, pork rectum is still used in a lot of other foods, some of which are actually palatable, and some like liverwurst which are just awful.

Major companies like Taco Bell and Burger King have been caught selling products with horse meat under the "100% beef" claim. So pig rectum calamari doesn't seem so out there.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got some bad news, even if it's not true, pork rectum is still used in a lot of other foods, some of which are actually palatable, and some like liverwurst which are just awful.

Major companies like Taco Bell and Burger King have been caught selling products with horse meat under the "100% beef" claim. So pig rectum calamari doesn't seem so out there.

most horse meat is actually clean, and good protein.
The problem is in the deception (as with fish not being what it's labeled as)

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
most horse meat is actually clean, and good protein.
The problem is in the deception (as with fish not being what it's labeled as)
I'm sure it's delicious, but it's illegal in my country to sell horsemeat for human consumption.

As far as clean, it depends on the horse. Lots of horses are so doped up on chemicals, I would not feel comfortable eating it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mmm mmm good!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it's delicious, but it's illegal in my country to sell horsemeat for human consumption.

As far as clean, it depends on the horse. Lots of horses are so doped up on chemicals, I would not feel comfortable eating it.
Bah! I would eat you within 72 hours if we crashed in the Andes and you didn’t make it, maybe even if you did…

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

it is illegal anywhere to sell it as beef.
as I said, most are not medicated but I grand you at some are shot up with interesting things.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cosmic Crisps are a new kind of apple, a hybrid between Honeycrisp and Enterprise. It's naturally resistant to disease, very resistant to bruising and browning, and has a long shelf life before becoming mealy. It's also pretty tasty.

Fun fact, they are hybrids, not GMO. I don't understand the difference, but I am told there is one.

Granny Smith is the gold standard for pies. :)
Hybrids: made in the fields with cross fertilization, whatever the technique is called when they splice a branch in, etc.
GMO: made in a lab.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The legal status is irrelevant. Laws are not necessarily based on anything other than ignorance and bias. Horse, dog, cat, iguana... the meat is all perfectly good. The aversion some people have to eating them is cultural, not biological.
Same thing applies to chickens. And cows. And pigs. And everything else you eat.

Latest Discussions