Last Poster #7

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ate sushi the other day and I did the strangest thing too. I used soy sauce and you know what? My friends were right! It's a good combo! Gave it an unusual salty taste.

I never bothered to use soy sauce before. Its weeeird. It looks like maple syrup and before this point I never knew what it tasted like.

The yellow stuff that looks like boiled cabbage is alright. Wasabe still tastes nasty. Even with soy sauce.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I ate sushi the other day and I did the strangest thing too. I used soy sauce and you know what? My friends were right! It's a good combo! Gave it an unusual salty taste.

I never bothered to use soy sauce before. Its weeeird. It looks like maple syrup and before this point I never knew what it tasted like.

The yellow stuff that looks like boiled cabbage is alright. Wasabe still tastes nasty. Even with soy sauce.
reminds me of that evening we went to the Teppanyaki grill. A nephew had never tried sushi, nor Wasabi.....he pinched off a bit of the wasabi and tried it straight up! 🤣
It is horseradish. Like Arby's Horsey Sauce. best is to put a little pinch on the sushi.
The yellow stuff is pickled ginger. A 'palet cleanser' I believe.

But all laughing aside: Congratulations on broadening your culinary horizon.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
reminds me of that evening we went to the Teppanyaki grill. A nephew had never tried sushi, nor Wasabi.....he pinched off a bit of the wasabi and tried it straight up! 🤣
It is horseradish. Like Arby's Horsey Sauce. best is to put a little pinch on the sushi.
The yellow stuff is pickled ginger. A 'palet cleanser' I believe.

But all laughing aside: Congratulations on broadening your culinary horizon.
Horseradish is hot and spicy. Wasabi is not. Most of what is sold as wasabi in the US isn't wasabi.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Horseradish is hot and spicy. Wasabi is not. Most of what is sold as wasabi in the US isn't wasabi.
True. Seldom the real thing, however some good sushi places give the option of the real thing, for a additional charge, of course. I think it’s worth the couple extra bucks to not eat the powdered stuff.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
True. Seldom the real thing, however some good sushi places give the option of the real thing, for a additional charge, of course. I think it’s worth the couple extra bucks to not eat the powdered stuff.
That's the only reason I know. We have a friend who is super into sushi. She took us to a high end sushi place. It's definitely worth a bit extra.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the only reason I know. We have a friend who is super into sushi. She took us to a high end sushi place. It's definitely worth a bit extra.
Half my family is from Hawaii so I grew up eating a lot of raw fish, etc. It’s always a good time to convince the new sushi eater that the green stuff is avocado or ”Japanese guacamole“. a favorite joke of mine when I was a kid.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Half my family is from Hawaii so I grew up eating a lot of raw fish, etc. It’s always a good time to convince the new sushi eater that the green stuff is avocado or ”Japanese guacamole“. a favorite joke of mine when I was a kid.
Sure. Sounds like the "pee on a jellyfish sting" myth. I have long suspected it was started by divers. Because we find it pretty hysterical when someone does it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay, daily update. Cold as heck here... but sunny and beautiful.

Made some wild cod filets yesterday (they were big mamma jammas, too... probably 12 oz each). A quick salt brine in the fridge, then roasted in the oven with some lemon butter and fresh thyme, with some roasted veggies (brussel sprouts and potatoes).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What? Does not compute. What do you think wasabi is? For that matter, what is sold as wasabi in the US, if it's not actual wasabi?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys, how do I get to the photo gallery? I don’t want to post a pic, just need to see one.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What? Does not compute. What do you think wasabi is? For that matter, what is sold as wasabi in the US, if it's not actual wasabi?
西洋山葵, another way of saying standard horseradish and green food coloring. It's literally the Soylent Green of condiments.

Actual wasabi root can't be mass produced enough to feed New York, let alone the rest of the free world.

Real wasabi is easy to find in any Asian food market, if you dare to enter ...grind and dine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you so, so much for all your kind words and thoughts.... it truly means the world.

Our sweet, beautiful girl is at peace now. We asked to have it done there at the vet today. She died in mine and my partner's arms, with our beautiful vet talking us through the whole thing. Ella was smiling and kissing everyone until the very end. We miss her terrible and are a complete mess... she was the heartbeat of this home and it feels so wrong her not being here. I don't know how we will get through this but one day at a time. It was 100% the right decision, as she was starting to get uncomfortable just breathing, and it would have been more heartbreaking if we kept her till she was suffering. She tried so hard for us. Squeeze your pets extra tight ok guys

View attachment 28105
So sorry, Simon. The heart sof my family goes out to yours.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
西洋山葵, another way of saying standard horseradish and green food coloring. It's literally the Soylent Green of condiments.
Dude, Soylent Green isn't a condiment. Soylent Green is people.... it's PEOPLE!!!!

soylent_green_logo_l1.jpg

Actual wasabi root can't be mass produced enough to feed New York, let alone the rest of the free world.

Real wasabi is easy to find in any Asian food market, if you dare to enter ...grind and dine.
Good to know. Apparently, most of what's sold in Japan is also fake. Who knew? Apparently you guys! :)

Reminds me of the fake fish industry. Most of what people get isn't what they think.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure. Sounds like the "pee on a jellyfish sting" myth. I have long suspected it was started by divers. Because we find it pretty hysterical when someone does it.
Much like sending a new surgical circulator off to find an Otis elevator, or a henway retractor. “What’s a henway?” “oh about 4 or 5 pounds” .

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
E
Dude, Soylent Green isn't a condiment. Soylent Green is people.... it's PEOPLE!!!!

View attachment 28108

Good to know. Apparently, most of what's sold in Japan is also fake. Who knew? Apparently you guys! :)

Reminds me of the fake fish industry. Most of what people get isn't what they think.
Ok I got one for you, look up what is passed off as “calimari”.

Latest Discussions