Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
At work, I just learned we were paying one about $400 a month to mow/maintain a small area (less than 1/4 acre, with no weeding or edging). And they just stopped coming. That had to take them less than 30 minutes to do - an hour if you count driving to the location and the load/unload.
When we moved my mother into her condo she hired a guy to cut her lawn....he showed up with his riding mower, mowed it, trimmed it and charged her $80.... I fired him, purchased an electric push mower and mowed it and trimmed it myself.... took me 20 minutes

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we moved my mother into her condo she hired a guy to cut her lawn....he showed up with his riding mower, mowed it, trimmed it and charged her $80.... I fired him, purchased an electric push mower and mowed it and trimmed it myself.... took me 20 minutes
Pretty much the same. I’m loaning them my mower for the week, and suggesting they buy one like it for less than $200 rather than paying someone to come in and mow that.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a big dog person. And I love those little dogs that don't know that about themselves.
Crazy story: my next door neighbor has a pitbull, about 100 lbs was about 90lbs when this happened. My dog 15lbs . One day our door was open and her dog ran in our house and we had to chase him out. Another day he took a pee or crap on our lawn I forget which. My dog didn't like this at all and had a grudge with that pitbull. So it's summer 2021 and we got all our stuff we need in our car getting ready to go on vacation. My dog would always jump in the car if you opened the door for him off leash, he never ran off would always get in the car everytime. This day was different I called him and said get in the car buddy he walked towards the door to the car and looked out for a minute and saw that pitbull he had a grudge with, he ran as fast as his little legs could propel him and charged at that pitbull and jumped on him. Now he didn't win but he held his own until we ran over to break up the fight but he had some cojones to fight the biggest dog in the neighborhood. He didn't realize that other dog was 10x his size. I don't condone that but it was a crazy series of events. Neither dog got any serious injuries but it was crazy, my dog never did anything like that before, but he didn't realize how little his body was. In his mind he was just as big or bigger than his rival pitbull.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dude I may be a bit old school even though I'm only 31, but both my parents were born in the 50s. If I ever see older people who need help I try my best to help. Something like mow the grass I would of did for free, I understand people need to make money but charging an older lady $80 is way too much. I used to get $20 a lawn, but quite a few times did it for free.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is it with Landscape companies... I'm looking to get some work done, called 4 already..... only 1 showed up when he said he would, 2 are other no shows and the other says he'll be here next Friday.... just wait and see if he shows up next week.

So far, based on the one that showed up, and his quote of $10,000.... I think I will do most of it myself
I have got many tree cutting people who quoted me from $4000 to $6500 to clean up the mess. I did it in 3 weeks

By doing it myself, I can

- get good exercise.
- get fresh air.
- save money.

tree_fall_1.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Dude I may be a bit old school even though I'm only 31, but both my parents were born in the 50s. If I ever see older people who need help I try my best to help. Something like mow the grass I would of did for free, I understand people need to make money but charging an older lady $80 is way too much. I used to get $20 a lawn, but quite a few times did it for free.
Especially for a yard I can do in 20 minutes with a push mower

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have got many tree cutting people who quoted me from $4000 to $6500 to clean up the mess. I did it in 3 weeks

By doing it myself, I can

- get good exercise.
- get fresh air.
- save money.

View attachment 29764
I use to work a tree farm in Pennsylvania, I have cut dow down a lot of trees.

But here is the thing.

They are giant arborvitae

Thuja_Green_Giant_Tree_2_BB_grande.jpg

take down the 3 on the end.....they are at least 20 feet tall

I work full time, I'm still basically Mr Mom, I have to assist my wife with her business and I take care of my 92 year old mother's place. And I still have to take care of mine, currently working on mulch beds. I have no place to put the debris and I have no way of taking them to a landfill, without renting a truck to do it.

I am not going to pay the guy $4000 to do the work, that is outrageous. I have a tree guy who will take them down, take them away and trim the ones left standing for $600.

I will plant the replacements....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
2nd landscaper that didn't show up yesterday called, apologized and came today.

Between him and my tree guy.... I have that $10,000 price down to $1700. One more quote coming next Friday... if that landscaper shows up

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're getting a new child on Monday.
Afte my last one Yaya passed away, I got 5 little ones (Yaya #2, Kiki, Jaja, bandit, cowboy). This way if anyone passes away, I will still have 4 lefts. 4 of those 5 came from the same family of my passed away one. I still regret that I didn't clone my passed away dog (it costs about $50,000 to clone a dog).

When you have 5 girlfriends, if 1 of your girlfriends leaves you, you will still have 4 lefts. You won't feel too sad. That's how my wife think anyway. :)

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy story: my next door neighbor has a pitbull, about 100 lbs was about 90lbs when this happened. My dog 15lbs . One day our door was open and her dog ran in our house and we had to chase him out. Another day he took a pee or crap on our lawn I forget which. My dog didn't like this at all and had a grudge with that pitbull. So it's summer 2021 and we got all our stuff we need in our car getting ready to go on vacation. My dog would always jump in the car if you opened the door for him off leash, he never ran off would always get in the car everytime. This day was different I called him and said get in the car buddy he walked towards the door to the car and looked out for a minute and saw that pitbull he had a grudge with, he ran as fast as his little legs could propel him and charged at that pitbull and jumped on him. Now he didn't win but he held his own until we ran over to break up the fight but he had some cojones to fight the biggest dog in the neighborhood. He didn't realize that other dog was 10x his size. I don't condone that but it was a crazy series of events. Neither dog got any serious injuries but it was crazy, my dog never did anything like that before, but he didn't realize how little his body was. In his mind he was just as big or bigger than his rival pitbull.
Some dogs just don’t know or care how small they are. Glad your little guy didn’t get hurt in that, and I maybe shouldn’t, but I say good on him!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Talking about little dogs
My uncle had a Bouvier Des Flandres, which is a giant of a dog.
images

His daughter had a chihuahua
1684110254452.jpeg

My uncle was having a cookout and I heard the chihuahua barking. He was barking at the Bouvier. The Bouvier got up, walked slowly over, bent down and was nose to nose with the chihuahua, who was still barking..... after about 2 minutes, the Bouvier stood up, turned around, walked across the deck, and laid back down. The Chihuahua was still barking.... my uncle's daughter finally had to take her dog in the house...only then it stopped barking

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about little dogs
My uncle had a Bouvier Des Flandres, which is a giant of a dog.
images

His daughter had a chihuahua
View attachment 29778
My uncle was having a cookout and I heard the chihuahua barking. He was barking at the Bouvier. The Bouvier got up, walked slowly over, bent down and was nose to nose with the chihuahua, who was still barking..... after about 2 minutes, the Bouvier stood up, turned around, walked across the deck, and laid back down. The Chihuahua was still barking.... my uncle's daughter finally had to take her dog in the house...only then it stopped barking
Chihuahuas are notorious for barking up the wrong tree....:)

Latest Discussions