Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Today was one of the hardest days of my life. I had to put my dog to sleep. He was my best friend and like a son to me. He was also my therapy dog. It was hard but I stayed with him the whole time the Dr's did what they do. Here's a pic of my handsome boy a year or so ago with me.
It’s very hard. Sorry man. We had to put one of our dogs to sleep recently, as well. 😔

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was one of the hardest days of my life. I had to put my dog to sleep. He was my best friend and like a son to me. He was also my therapy dog. It was hard but I stayed with him the whole time the Dr's did what they do. Here's a pic of my handsome boy a year or so ago with me.
So hard to let them go. He was a good looking dog.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It’s very hard. Sorry man. We had to put one of our dogs to sleep recently, as well. 😔
Thanks. I appreciate you bro. I'm sorry to hear that you went through this too. This may sound weird but I learned alot about life from my dog, especially about genuineness, unconditional Love and he never once judged me he accepted me and everyone he ever met for who they are. Everyone who ever met him loved him.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh man... I'm so incredibly sorry to hear... it's such a difficult decision but I'm sure it was absolutely the best one, even though it hurts so much. Had to put our dog down last year and it truly devastated us... they really are part of the family huh. Thinking of you in this incredibly difficult time.. and sounds like your dog was truly blessed to have you and that he was so very loved in his life :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awe, sorry for your loss.
It never gets any easier to let one go.
Good looking dude, for sure. He looks like he had a big personality. Those really hurt when they go.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, it is very hard, I know, had to do this myself not to long ago

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m very sorry to hear of your loss.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Interesting morning.
First this bit, as far as the Government IT side of the house is concerned, I am it today. the big cheese the big kahuna the guy in charge
As far as the corporate side of the house is concerned I matter little and should be ignored.

Came in and there was a panic on the corporate side, systems were not working and the majority of our users could not do anything.

I asked if the proper people were told (used the names for that one), response, I don't know, I told my supervisor.....and they have not gotten back to me yet.. ok...this issue had been going on at that point for at least 1.5 hours.

I contacted the people that needed to know....... 15 minutes...everything is back to normal......

Not that I'm all that important, or all that knowledgeable about all our systems (that would be my boss by the way).... but when the day comes I walk out the door..be that transfer or retirement....I will likely be the last Gov IT employee...... I feel sorry for our users

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a discussion in a book that I go back to. A character is explaining their jailing policy, and suicide watch. One of the things he mentions is that you can't choke yourself out to the point of death, as when you get unconscious your limbs will relax, releasing you from your own hold. I've wondered the truth about that statement, and yet have no desire to test it out.
This is true. It's basically the same as a kid throwing a tantrum and "killing themselves" by holding their breath.

We had a frequent flyer who claimed he was going to kill himself by punching himself in the head. I told him that was impossible.
His reply, "Oh yeah? You ask a martial artist!"
I said, "As a matter of fact..."

The reality was he was homeless and was suicidal when it was cold. I told him if he'd just tell us the truth, we'd get him warmed up without irradiating him for bogus hand pain or wasting security and the psych teams time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is true. It's basically the same as a kid throwing a tantrum and "killing themselves" by holding their breath.
When I was in Junior high the folks that lived next door to us had a small child who would throw a tantrum and hold his breath....the mother did not know what to do and asked my mother, who was an OR RN, about it. My mother told her, don't worry, he'll be fine, worse case, he will pass out and then start breathing.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was in Junior high the folks that lived next door to us had a small child who would throw a tantrum and hold his breath....the mother did not know what to do and asked my mother, who was an OR RN, about it. My mother told her, don't worry, he'll be fine, worse case, he will pass out and then start breathing.
Same with hyperventilation. If the person doesn't stop, they will eventually pass out. When they do, they'll stop breathing briefly, which scares the crap out of people around them. But it's harmless. It's just the bodies last ditch effort to force the blood gas values back into the normal ranges.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

We had a frequent flyer who claimed he was going to kill himself by punching himself in the head. I told him that was impossible.
His reply, "Oh yeah? You ask a martial artist!"
I said, "As a matter of fact..."

The reality was he was homeless and was suicidal when it was cold. I told him if he'd just tell us the truth, we'd get him warmed up without irradiating him for bogus hand pain or wasting security and the psych teams time.
I had a hbot patient in the chamber who claimed he was going to punch his way out of the 3 inch thick acrylic tube. I warned him that we did not have an orthopedic surgeon at the hospital that day…

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Same with hyperventilation. If the person doesn't stop, they will eventually pass out. When they do, they'll stop breathing briefly, which scares the crap out of people around them. But it's harmless. It's just the bodies last ditch effort to force the blood gas values back into the normal ranges.

Had a patent come into the ER one night, when I was security at a hospital, the took her into the room and she was screaming "I CAN'T BREATHE... I CAN'T BREATHE" over a nd over again....finally the doctor walked into the room and said...."If you can scream, you can breathe and If you'd just shut up you would be fine.... "

Patent was so shocked to her a doctor tell her to shut up...she stopped screaming...and low and behold...she cold breathe

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a patent come into the ER one night, when I was security at a hospital, the took her into the room and she was screaming "I CAN'T BREATHE... I CAN'T BREATHE" over a nd over again....finally the doctor walked into the room and said...."If you can scream, you can breathe and If you'd just shut up you would be fine.... "

Patent was so shocked to her a doctor tell her to shut up...she stopped screaming...and low and behold...she cold breathe
I've said exactly that more times than I can count...

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

look up the recording of the off duty LEO that ate pot brownies, freaked out, and called 911 saying “ I can’t breathe, I’m not breathing!”

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
look up the recording of the off duty LEO that ate pot brownies, freaked out, and called 911 saying “ I can’t breathe, I’m not breathing!”
Had a guy walk into the ER one night...the reason for coming in, that he gave, was...."I'm dead"... he also had a bottle of tabasco sauce in his pocket...he had the for fluid...... he was transferred to the other hospital that had a mental health unit

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but we called them situationally suicidal. The main reason for it was that they knew if they called and said they were homeless, the police would either ignore them, or tell them to go to a homeless shelter, which for very valid reasons many avoided. So instead, they'd say their suicidal, get taken to the hospital and get at least a night out of it, or potentially 3 nights if they can convince psych to EOB them before making an official decision.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are, but we called them situationally suicidal. The main reason for it was that they knew if they called and said they were homeless, the police would either ignore them, or tell them to go to a homeless shelter, which for very valid reasons many avoided. So instead, they'd say their suicidal, get taken to the hospital and get at least a night out of it, or potentially 3 nights if they can convince psych to EOB them before making an official decision.
It's both sad and amazing what people will resort to.

One really cold winter night some years ago, we had multiple stabbings. One after another. All homeless. All stabbed in the outer thigh. All with the same (small) blade. And all upset when they learned that this injury did not require admission. They all got irrigated, a dressing, a sandwich, a couple blankets, and discharged.

Turns out another homeless fellow, well known to us and REALLY mean, convinced them all to let him stab them so they'd be admitted. So we called the PD, put them all in one room out of the way (hey, it was warm...) and let them stay there to file police reports. When Stabby McStabface showed up in the ER for his own (similarly superficial) wound, they promptly arrested him.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting morning.
First this bit, as far as the Government IT side of the house is concerned, I am it today. the big cheese the big kahuna the guy in charge
As far as the corporate side of the house is concerned I matter little and should be ignored.

Came in and there was a panic on the corporate side, systems were not working and the majority of our users could not do anything.

I asked if the proper people were told (used the names for that one), response, I don't know, I told my supervisor.....and they have not gotten back to me yet.. ok...this issue had been going on at that point for at least 1.5 hours.

I contacted the people that needed to know....... 15 minutes...everything is back to normal......

Not that I'm all that important, or all that knowledgeable about all our systems (that would be my boss by the way).... but when the day comes I walk out the door..be that transfer or retirement....I will likely be the last Gov IT employee...... I feel sorry for our users
Something to think about when folks suggest privatizing government. Be careful what you wish for.

Latest Discussions