Last Poster #7

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got a little more of the story later in the day. My buddy (my old Section Head) lives in No-where Maine. (he's no longer a people person.)

The area where his house is....is a centuries old bear trail. But due to increased development about ten miles further along said trail, the bears lost access to a lot of their food sources. A lot have perished from starvation or been hit by cars.

My buddy spent a couple years building a small pond in his back yard for the bears to have water, and then started putting food out for them, mostly berries which he gets wholesale. He leaves them at the far end of the small pond. He thinks they came up on his porch to say hi.

He's a sharp guy, an experienced outdoorsman and he's looking for an alternate solution for the bears. I hope my wife and I get to visit back East this upcoming fall, we haven't been since the pandemic started. His house is one of the four friends houses we'll be staying at. I'd like to do a fattie (now that I'm retired) and see da bears.
Let me know when you're up this way. Yeah we got a lot of recreational cannabis stores now. I live in Bangor area now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Was just reading about a show I watched as a kid....If you are about my age you may have watched the Banana Splits and the show on it called Danger Island, which brings be to Kim Kahana who played Chongo

I knew nothing about this guy, you have got to read this

Kim Kahana

Kahana served as a paratrooper in the Korean War where he was captured and shot by an enemy firing squad. Feigning death, he was left by his captors in a mass grave from which he escaped. A hand grenade explosion also rendered him sightless for two years and permanently blind in his left eye. The U.S. military awarded Kahana a Silver Star and two Bronze Star Medals, as well as two Purple Hearts for his services.[1]

In 1955, Kahana survived a plane crash in the state of Texas that killed the other 32 people on board. Surviving this crash and his experiences in Korea imbued Kahana with a personal life philosophy of, "Maybe I'm right where I ought to be

What is not mentioned in this link is he also has 6 different blackbelts

And yet I just have a feeling that at some point @Buka knew, trained with or meant this guy.... :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
yup....if you're in the Northern hemisphere it sure is...... drive 1 hour north of me and it was 23F this morning

Seattle is further north than you, but much warmer overall. I’m not complaining.

1684423306394.png

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Seattle is further north than you, but much warmer overall. I’m not complaining.

View attachment 29792

Well, we have a cold weather mass coming down out of Canada....and we're nowhere near the pacific ocean either...so I'm not surprised...but I'm glad its warmer for you there.

I'll be over on the left coast in a couple weeks, but a bit further north than you are. I'll be in Vancouver

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, we have a cold weather mass coming down out of Canada....and we're nowhere near the pacific ocean either...so I'm not surprised...but I'm glad its warmer for you there.

I'll be over on the left coast in a couple weeks, but a bit further north than you are. I'll be in Vancouver
Vancouver is a nice city.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
had something happen today..... a person I know, who is now heading another small government office.... stopped by my office and wants me to go there to build and take over their IT office, they basically have no IT office and what they have is old equipment and they are self supported, and need help..... had to explain, sadly, things do not work that way in government.... but they are looking into it....

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
had something happen today..... a person I know, who is now heading another small government office.... stopped by my office and wants me to go there to build and take over their IT office, they basically have no IT office and what they have is old equipment and they are self supported, and need help..... had to explain, sadly, things do not work that way in government.... but they are looking into it....
Tis nice to be wanted!
You ought to tell that to the egg heads that act as if you blow hot air when you talk shop.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Was just reading about a show I watched as a kid....If you are about my age you may have watched the Banana Splits and the show on it called Danger Island, which brings be to Kim Kahana who played Chongo

I knew nothing about this guy, you have got to read this

Kim Kahana

What is not mentioned in this link is he also has 6 different blackbelts

And yet I just have a feeling that at some point @Buka knew, trained with or meant this guy.... :)
I would have loved to have met him. My friend and sometime writing partner, Sandy Gimpel, has told me about him. She's been a stuntwoman in Hollywood forever. Her first gig was being the stunt double for Billy Mummy in the original Lost In Space TV series. She's still working today, a million years later. Anytime they need an elderly woman to do something like walk across the street during a wild car chase they call Sandy. Sweet, happy woman. Tough as nails, even now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would have loved to have met him. My friend and sometime writing partner, Sandy Gimpel, has told me about him. She's been a stuntwoman in Hollywood forever. Her first gig was being the stunt double for Billy Mummy in the original Lost In Space TV series. She's still working today, a million years later. Anytime they need an elderly woman to do something like walk across the street during a wild car chase they call Sandy. Sweet, happy woman. Tough as nails, even now.

I knew it, I knew it.... some how you'd have a connection to him..... :)

And yes I'm jealous :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew it, I knew it.... some how you'd have a connection to him..... :)

And yes I'm jealous :)
Yes -- for most of Hollywood, it's how many degrees of connection to Kevin Bacon.

For Kevin Bacon, and the Martial Talk community... it's how many degrees to Buka.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to be going to a gathering/camping trip with a group that I don't have experience with, hoping to make some more friends in the area. On their website, no one is listed as the pure head of the group, and didn't see any major red flags.

Thursday we had a zoom meeting, and they mentioned a discord. My buddy who was going to be joining too asked about it, and they said it's a paid discord run by the guy who's their main leader, and mentioned his name. Friday my buddy told me to look the guy up, and that he won't be going.

I'm glad he recognized the name. Among the long list of things I found about the guy..he's kicked people out (of the group, not just the discord) for being lgbt, or disagreeing with him on his discord, hangs out with white supremacists and when asked if he finds racism bad his answer is that it's complicated, but he doesn't openly support racism (but wouldn't denounce white supremacists), has made a living conning people out of money, promising things then saying he doesn't have enough money because he quit his job (being supported by these people) and buying a house, rather than spending the money on what he asked it for, claims that gods talk to him, and has demanded people make blood oaths to him (and cut people with knives deep enough they had to go to hospitals when they refused). That last one has happened when on camping trips similar to the one we were going to go on, where they'd be out in the woods alone with him and his essentially followers (though they didn't identify themselves as that).

If he hadn't recognized the name and pieced together this was the group of his followers (the groups name he never mentions, anywhere online) there'd be a situation where he tries to cut me, my friend, or someone else there, I'd respond in kind and either get attacked by his followers or put in jail for assault. Dodged an almost literal bullet here.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to be going to a gathering/camping trip with a group that I don't have experience with, hoping to make some more friends in the area. On their website, no one is listed as the pure head of the group, and didn't see any major red flags.

Thursday we had a zoom meeting, and they mentioned a discord. My buddy who was going to be joining too asked about it, and they said it's a paid discord run by the guy who's their main leader, and mentioned his name. Friday my buddy told me to look the guy up, and that he won't be going.

I'm glad he recognized the name. Among the long list of things I found about the guy..he's kicked people out (of the group, not just the discord) for being lgbt, or disagreeing with him on his discord, hangs out with white supremacists and when asked if he finds racism bad his answer is that it's complicated, but he doesn't openly support racism (but wouldn't denounce white supremacists), has made a living conning people out of money, promising things then saying he doesn't have enough money because he quit his job (being supported by these people) and buying a house, rather than spending the money on what he asked it for, claims that gods talk to him, and has demanded people make blood oaths to him (and cut people with knives deep enough they had to go to hospitals when they refused). That last one has happened when on camping trips similar to the one we were going to go on, where they'd be out in the woods alone with him and his essentially followers (though they didn't identify themselves as that).

If he hadn't recognized the name and pieced together this was the group of his followers (the groups name he never mentions, anywhere online) there'd be a situation where he tries to cut me, my friend, or someone else there, I'd respond in kind and either get attacked by his followers or put in jail for assault. Dodged an almost literal bullet here.
The funny thing is that both of us had spent a few hours looking into this group before signing up, and could find almost nothing negative online about them, just a few things from their members, and their own web page where they say all the right things (and don't mention that they're a group with a leader, or said leader's name).

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Holy crap man!! That's intense... very glad you didn't go! Pays to get a bit of knowledge about a group first huh. Far out very lucky.