Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
HAven't seen one of these in awhile, but saw one today. A full size, look military surplus, Humvee. But the one I saw was all while

5e5c674d-262d-4438-b7cf-75d10d2f529e-nowater.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HAven't seen one of these in awhile, but saw one today. A full size, look military surplus, Humvee. But the one I saw was all while

In private hands?
We have a National Guard post nearby and a big shooting range, we see them regularly on the road.
Drill weekends especially.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For crying out loud.... the idiots at the main IT office have LOCKED me out of another system I need access to TO DO MY DANG JOB!!!

And I'm guessing the reason why is they found this account, not on their network, so they deleted it....and I am not on their network...I'm on a state network...but not IT main....did not attempt to find out whose it was, or why it was there...just DELETED IT...IDIOTS!!!! Yup, not the first time they have been so freaking stupid

And of course I need to access it..... RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

It was a very exciting day when we got ahold of one of these in the bomb dump. Must have been right around 1990. We were told they were indestructible. You could almost hear every ammo troop thinking, "Challenge accepted."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It was a very exciting day when we got ahold of one of these in the bomb dump. Must have been right around 1990. We were told they were indestructible. You could almost hear every ammo troop thinking, "Challenge accepted."
A friend of mine was in the navy, on destroyers, during the Gulf war. He was out of San Diego. He told me there was an island off of California where the destroyers tested their targeting systems. This island had a big Concrete obelisk/tower that the destroyers used for target practice for years, thought to be pretty much indestructible. Well, it appears when they sailed past it with the USS Missouri they took that as a challenge...fired on it with the big guns...discovering that the indestructible Obelisk/tower...was not so indestructible after all.... it was gone

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In private hands?
We have a National Guard post nearby and a big shooting range, we see them regularly on the road.
Drill weekends especially.
They were sold to private individuals brand new. And you can pick up used examples from surplus dealers too.

I always considered the original HumVee to be basically a Wrangler built to government specs.
A vehicle with 4WD, not enough engine power, a marginally effective roll bar, removable, poorly fitted top and doors, seats 4, can't be kept warm in the cold or cool in the heat. That describes both of them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
They were sold to private individuals brand new. And you can pick up used examples from surplus dealers too.

I always considered the original HumVee to be basically a Wrangler built to government specs.
A vehicle with 4WD, not enough engine power, a marginally effective roll bar, removable, poorly fitted top and doors, seats 4, can't be kept warm in the cold or cool in the heat. That describes both of them.
Read an article, back with Humvees first appeared, comparing it to the wrangler. Bottomline was you could buy a new Wrangler, put a couple thousand in it and have something that would do everything an Humvee would do, and a few things it couldn't due the the size of the humvee, and the wrangler, with the additions was still considerably cheaper than a humvee,...and allegedly more comfortable too....and that's saying something abot how uncomfortable the first hummers were

But as I am talking Jeep. When I was in connecticut I was passed by a new wrangler that had a lot of work done. Lift kit, giant tires, custom fenders for the tire clearance. Tires with tread down the side for mud, a snorkel, all sorts of external cages to hold gas cans and fire extinguishers, extra tall jack...etc. Thing was it was incredibly shiny and clean, even the tired where shinny. And you could see the custom fenders, showed the wheel wells...even those were clean and shiny.... all that off road custom stuff... and that thing has never been, or likely will ever be.... off road... and certainly never in water deep enough to justify the snorkel

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read an article, back with Humvees first appeared, comparing it to the wrangler. Bottomline was you could buy a new Wrangler, put a couple thousand in it and have something that would do everything an Humvee would do, and a few things it couldn't due the the size of the humvee, and the wrangler, with the additions was still considerably cheaper than a humvee,...and allegedly more comfortable too....and that's saying something abot how uncomfortable the first hummers were
Agreed. The Top Gear folks did an hilarious review of one.
But as I am talking Jeep. When I was in connecticut I was passed by a new wrangler that had a lot of work done. Lift kit, giant tires, custom fenders for the tire clearance. Tires with tread down the side for mud, a snorkel, all sorts of external cages to hold gas cans and fire extinguishers, extra tall jack...etc. Thing was it was incredibly shiny and clean, even the tired where shinny. And you could see the custom fenders, showed the wheel wells...even those were clean and shiny.... all that off road custom stuff... and that thing has never been, or likely will ever be.... off road... and certainly never in water deep enough to justify the snorkel
I call those Mall Crawlers. It's fine if someone does stuff just because "it looks cool" but I'm more about function. I'm about to start a rebuild of my wives Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It's bone stock right now. I'm doing bumpers, lights, fenders, lift, wheels & tires, winch. We've used it for light off-roading in the past, but I sold my monster Jeep, so now it's time to build another.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I call those Mall Crawlers. It's fine if someone does stuff just because "it looks cool" but I'm more about function. I'm about to start a rebuild of my wives Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. It's bone stock right now. I'm doing bumpers, lights, fenders, lift, wheels & tires, winch. We've used it for light off-roading in the past, but I sold my monster Jeep, so now it's time to build another.
I too am more about function. I can't tell you how many of those big new shiny 4 door wranglers I see rolling around my area with a snorkel... and you and i both know they will never be taking that nicely carpeted jeep into water that deep

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Track opened today so interesting cars are showing up. And after todays post, I was surprised to see one of these on the way home. It looked much like this too. This is a 2005 Shelby

2005_Ford_ShelbyCobraGT5002.jpg
Oh, God, be still my heart.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I too am more about function. I can't tell you how many of those big new shiny 4 door wranglers I see rolling around my area with a snorkel... and you and i both know they will never be taking that nicely carpeted jeep into water that deep
Snorkels are rarely useful. It's pretty darn uncommon for anyone to go into water so deep that the water level is above their intake. And I don't think I have ever seen a street-legal vehicle do so.
All they really do is restrict airflow into the engine. Which means less power. If someone does put one on their mall crawler, I encourage them NOT to connect it to the intake.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Snorkels are rarely useful. It's pretty darn uncommon for anyone to go into water so deep that the water level is above their intake. And I don't think I have ever seen a street-legal vehicle do so.
All they really do is restrict airflow into the engine. Which means less power. If someone does put one on their mall crawler, I encourage them NOT to connect it to the intake.

I have seen several on the big wrangler 4 doors in my are, however I do not know if they are connected, or just decorative. Either way, IMO, they are stupid

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For crying out loud.... the idiots at the main IT office have LOCKED me out of another system I need access to TO DO MY DANG JOB!!!

And I'm guessing the reason why is they found this account, not on their network, so they deleted it....and I am not on their network...I'm on a state network...but not IT main....did not attempt to find out whose it was, or why it was there...just DELETED IT...IDIOTS!!!! Yup, not the first time they have been so freaking stupid

And of course I need to access it..... RIGHT NOW!!!!!
time for a coffee break

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

a huge vehicle with no space....
I have peered into a couple.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

she won't regret it a la Tim Tailor modifications, will she?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen several on the big wrangler 4 doors in my are, however I do not know if they are connected, or just decorative. Either way, IMO, they are stupid
I mostly agree. They're useful in VERY limited and rare cases. Mostly not. There is a trail in our area that, at one point, goes along the edge of a mountain lake. Depending on the time of year, a short section of trail may be as much as 3 feet under water. I've run it. No snorkel needed. Because, frankly, if that 3 feet of water is too much for your Jeep, you will never reach that part of the trail. I did it in this.

Attachments

• DCAM1293.JPG
    DCAM1293.JPG
    830.5 KB · Views: 13

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I mostly agree. They're useful in VERY limited and rare cases. Mostly not. There is a trail in our area that, at one point, goes along the edge of a mountain lake. Depending on the time of year, a short section of trail may be as much as 3 feet under water. I've run it. No snorkel needed. Because, frankly, if that 3 feet of water is too much for your Jeep, you will never reach that part of the trail. I did it in this.

Snorkels have a use...just not on a vehicle that is never going to leave the pavement

Latest Discussions