Last Poster #7

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You definitely aren’t alone. I feel like a bit of an outlier.

I like them a little darker. I tend to drop somewhere between 205C and 215C, which is in between first and second crack. I see between 15 and 16% loss.

I definitely like the PNG bean I roasted recently more as a pour over. It was way to fruity for me as espresso.
Ah very nice, yeah that's about the depth where I usually pulled the majority of my roasts too, came out about a medium. Only the last little while have been experimental.. *puts on mad scientist lab coat*

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, nothing against any other america sports car, and no one is more surprised than I am...but as far as the new cars go, I think I like the Mustang the best...the gas powered one... not the BLASPHEMOUS!!!! EV....

2022_ford_mustang_coupe_ecoboost-premium_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

of course make it a Shelby and I like it even better
2022-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-heritage-edition-front-corner-high-angle.webp

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You know, nothing against any other america sports car, and no one is more surprised than I am...but as far as the new cars go, I think I like the Mustang the best...the gas powered one... not the BLASPHEMOUS!!!! EV....

2022_ford_mustang_coupe_ecoboost-premium_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

2022-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-heritage-edition-front-corner-high-angle.webp

That's so funny. I've always disliked mustangs, so I was surprised I liked the new EV as much as I do. I have one on order, though I have no idea when it will be delivered.

Everything that Mustang folks hate about the EV are the things we like about it. They're selling like crazy, too.

But I think it would be hilarious if I rolled up to the Mustang club in the EV. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's so funny. I've always disliked mustangs, so I was surprised I liked the new EV as much as I do. I have one on order, though I have no idea when it will be delivered.

Everything that Mustang folks hate about the EV are the things we like about it. They're selling like crazy, too.

But I think it would be hilarious if I rolled up to the Mustang club in the EV. :D

I was always a Camaro, Firebird type guy...so my liking the mustang is a surprise to me as well. And I hope you get and enjoy the EV soon...even though it is blasphemous :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was always a Camaro, Firebird type guy...so my liking the mustang is a surprise to me as well.
I've always like smaller cars. MINIs, aircooled VWs, MGs, Miatas. My brother had a 240Z which I thought was really cool. If I had a choice between a stock '67 Ghia or a stock '67 Mustang, I'll take the 50 HP Ghia without question.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Mustang is a muscle car, not a sports car. But otherwise I agree with you completely. The current Mustang visibly shows it's roots, which is good for nostalgia. And the performance is amazing, as it is with a lot of new cars.
Hope you get it soon. And I hope they fixed the randomly dying while driving problem.
The thing people hate about it that it's called a Mustang. It's not a Mustang. It's an SUV. Call it anything else, and nobody would spit at it.
According to the car mag testers, the quickest version of the Mach-E runs the quarter in 12.4@102. The quickest version of the Mustang runs 11.4@132. The new Corvette Z06 runs 10.6. The base model Mach-E runs 14.7 sec @ 96.7. The Mustang with the tiny little 4-banger Eco-boost runs 13.7. The base version of the Corvette runs 11.2
So you might find it hilarious if you find losing funny, but otherwise...
I've always like smaller cars. MINIs, aircooled VWs, MGs, Miatas. My brother had a 240Z which I thought was really cool. If I had a choice between a stock '67 Ghia or a stock '67 Mustang, I'll take the 50 HP Ghia without question.
It's a question of intent. Those small, light cars are nimble, and inexpensive. But they are not quick.
James May (Captain Slow from Top Gear) has offered a view that I think is valid and speaks to this.

Cars are at their most fun to drive when you're at about 90%. Just a tiny bit more, and you're going to lose it. But get caught doing that on the street in a Corvette, a Mustang, a Challenger, etc. and you're going to jail. But in something like the Miata or the Ghia, you can drive at the edge all day and nobody will care. And that is where those cars shine. Tossing them around corners is a ton of fun.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
damn, for what you pay for those you could get a reak car!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Mustang is a muscle car, not a sports car. But otherwise I agree with you completely. The current Mustang visibly shows it's roots, which is good for nostalgia. And the performance is amazing, as it is with a lot of new cars.

Hope you get it soon. And I hope they fixed the randomly dying while driving problem.

I'm with you on this. Randomly dying while driving is a bad thing. I think that every time I see a car on the side of the freeway, including the occasional EV.

The thing people hate about it that it's called a Mustang. It's not a Mustang. It's an SUV. Call it anything else, and nobody would spit at it.
Yeah, people get hung up on stuff like that. I think it's a pretty funny thing to get worked up about.

According to the car mag testers, the quickest version of the Mach-E runs the quarter in 12.4@102. The quickest version of the Mustang runs 11.4@132. The new Corvette Z06 runs 10.6. The base model Mach-E runs 14.7 sec @ 96.7. The Mustang with the tiny little 4-banger Eco-boost runs 13.7. The base version of the Corvette runs 11.2
So you might find it hilarious if you find losing funny, but otherwise...

I am not sure I can adequately express how little I care about 3 seconds in a 1/4 mile race. But I'm curious.. is that what you do at these car clubs? I will admit, I didn't know you guys get together and race your cars. I really thought you parked together, popped your hoods, and then talked about accessories.

Are you worried about losing? Do people really care about that?

It's a question of intent. Those small, light cars are nimble, and inexpensive. But they are not quick.
They're also not necessarily nimble, but I'd rather drive a 50 HP Karmann Ghia than a Corvette. Just more fun for me.

James May (Captain Slow from Top Gear) has offered a view that I think is valid and speaks to this.

Cars are at their most fun to drive when you're at about 90%. Just a tiny bit more, and you're going to lose it. But get caught doing that on the street in a Corvette, a Mustang, a Challenger, etc. and you're going to jail. But in something like the Miata or the Ghia, you can drive at the edge all day and nobody will care. And that is where those cars shine. Tossing them around corners is a ton of fun.
Sounds like he's got a good perspective. But speed is really just one metric.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All I can say is my brain said muscle car and my fingers typed sports car. To quote BB King "My fingers is stupid"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I had a friend that had a 240Z, I was his personal mechanic, until he totalled the car. And i I had a friend that had a Ghia. I liked the Ghia.

Ironically, the friend with the 240Z scared the heck out of me one night on 495 in Massachusetts. He decided to race an old Mustang on the highway, and I believe the mustang was a 67. As I sat in this little tiny 2 seater car, at speed in excess of 140mph..... I decided if I survived this, I'd never ride with him again. Obviously I did survive and I never road with him again...but it was only about 2 weeks after that he totalled it. He did not get hurt, but the car was done.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I had a friend that had a 240Z, I was his personal mechanic, until he totalled the car. And i I had a friend that had a Ghia. I liked the Ghia.

Ironically, the friend with the 240Z scared the heck out of me one night on 495 in Massachusetts. He decided to race an old Mustang on the highway, and I believe the mustang was a 67. As I sat in this little tiny 2 seater car, at speed in excess of 140mph..... I decided if I survived this, I'd never ride with him again. Obviously I did survive and I never road with him again...but it was only about 2 weeks after that he totalled it. He did not get hurt, but the car was done.
Going 140 mph outside of a track sounds like no fun for me at all. But that little 240Z was a cool car. Everything in it was small and cramped, which made working on it difficult. My brother's car was orange with a black interior.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Going 140 mph outside of a track sounds like no fun for me at all. But that little 240Z was a cool car. Everything in it was small and cramped, which made working on it difficult. My brother's car was orange with a black interior.
in excess of 140 over passes start going by like guardrails

His was green. and I think the interior ws brown, and looked a lot like this
1.jpg

And the 6cyl was pretty easy to work on. Not much else in the engine compartment, other than engine, in those days

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You know, all this talk about Mustangs has me thinking about one of my first cars, a Mustang II. Talk about ANOTHER car that "real" Mustang owners hate. :D

Very old picture of me, an E-1 fresh out of tech school and taking the obligatory pictures in uniform for my mom. This car ran great.

fordmustang2.jpg

And a few years later of one of my Bugs I picked up while stationed in San Antonio. This was a '74 beetle with a higher cc porsche engine and dual weber carbs. Still not very fast, but faster than a stock bug. This must have been before I swapped out the stinger exhaust.

Forgive the style... it was the late 80s/early 90s... everyone dressed like that! Haha.

74beetle.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, all this talk about Mustangs has me thinking about one of my first cars, a Mustang II. Talk about ANOTHER car that "real" Mustang owners hate. :D

Very old picture of me, an E-1 fresh out of tech school and taking the obligatory pictures in uniform for my mom. This car ran great.

View attachment 28661

And a few years later of one of my Bugs I picked up while stationed in San Antonio. This was a '74 beetle with a higher cc porsche engine and dual weber carbs. Still not very fast, but faster than a stock bug. This must have been before I swapped out the stinger exhaust.

Forgive the style... it was the late 80s/early 90s... everyone dressed like that! Haha.

View attachment 28662
Had a friend who was really into the whole baja bug thing he set his up something like this

VW_Baja_Beetle.jpg

But he was not in to racing, so I do not know how quick it was. But I can tell you, it was a whole lot of fun off road

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

View attachment 28661

View attachment 28662
That's a couple of classic photos right there., especially the top one, great looking car. And you, so young!

I miss the days that cars looked so different from each other, they used to be pretty distinct.

I've always liked Mustangs. But that photo you posted of the Shelby Cobra? Oh, man, that's a dream car to me. I was getting gas a few years ago, when a dark blue one pulled up to the pumps. I was talking to the guy, he had had it just repainted early that day. It looked like it just came off the assembly line.

I asked him, that if he didn't mind, would he make it roar when he pulled out. Not go fast, just make that throaty growl. He did. It was an Apex predator sound. So awesome.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this. Randomly dying while driving is a bad thing. I think that every time I see a car on the side of the freeway, including the occasional EV.
Agreed. Especially today, with at least one person recently playing good Samaritan, right up until the time they shot the person they were supposedly helping.
Yeah, people get hung up on stuff like that. I think it's a pretty funny thing to get worked up about.
I think it's seen as watering down an iconic name.
I am not sure I can adequately express how little I care about 3 seconds in a 1/4 mile race.
So what is it that you meant by being "hilarious"?
But I'm curious.. is that what you do at these car clubs? I will admit, I didn't know you guys get together and race your cars. I really thought you parked together, popped your hoods, and then talked about accessories.
I don't know. I'm not in any car clubs, and never have been. There are, certainly, people who like the "show & shine" sort of thing, people who like to race, and people who like to do both. I am primarily into the performance side of things, though I am also happy to chit chat with people who are into cars. Mostly if they're also into the performance side of things.
Are you worried about losing? Do people really care about that?
Shouldn't surprise you to hear this, but it depends. Some do. Some don't. Some people are racing for money. Some people are trying to make a living as a racer. I bet they both care. Personally, I am not at all worried about loosing. When I am at the track, I'm mostly racing against myself. Trying to improve my RT. Trying to find the best way to launch the car most effectively. If it's a road race course, trying to apex the corners better. Trying to find the best line. Trying to brake at the right time. I know what my bests have been, and those are the only things I am trying to beat.
They're also not necessarily nimble, but I'd rather drive a 50 HP Karmann Ghia than a Corvette. Just more fun for me.
If you say so. I haven't spent a ton of time in any of those. But the ones I have driven have all been pretty light and nimble.
Sounds like he's got a good perspective. But speed is really just one metric.
If you're talking about high performance, then speed (in it's many variants) is pretty much the only metric.
It certainly can be, if you're the kind of person who likes to go fast. If you're not, then going 140MPH under any circumstance probably isn't fun. I had a TransAm up to 169MPH on a public highway during THIS event some years ago. It was lots of fun.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed. Especially today, with at least one person recently playing good Samaritan, right up until the time they shot the person they were supposedly helping.

I think it's seen as watering down an iconic name.

Yeah for sure. There’s always something. Personally, I think it’s just a name.

So what is it that you meant by being "hilarious"?
Like funny. A guy shows up to a mustang group with a brand new EV, the script writes itself. 😂
I don't know. I'm not in any car clubs, and never have been. There are, certainly, people who like the "show & shine" sort of thing, people who like to race, and people who like to do both. I am primarily into the performance side of things, though I am also happy to chit chat with people who are into cars. Mostly if they're also into the performance side of things.

Shouldn't surprise you to hear this, but it depends. Some do. Some don't. Some people are racing for money. Some people are trying to make a living as a racer. I bet they both care. Personally, I am not at all worried about loosing. When I am at the track, I'm mostly racing against myself. Trying to improve my RT. Trying to find the best way to launch the car most effectively. If it's a road race course, trying to apex the corners better. Trying to find the best line. Trying to brake at the right time. I know what my bests have been, and those are the only things I am trying to beat.

If you say so. I haven't spent a ton of time in any of those. But the ones I have driven have all been pretty light and nimble.

If you're talking about high performance, then speed (in it's many variants) is pretty much the only metric.

I think you’re starting to get it. You’re talking about high performance. I’m not.
It certainly can be, if you're the kind of person who likes to go fast. If you're not, then going 140MPH under any circumstance probably isn't fun. I had a TransAm up to 169MPH on a public highway during THIS event some years ago. It was lots of fun.
Yup