Last Poster #7

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sounds tasty. Did you save some for @Xue Sheng?

Just can't stop pushing the bacon can you...

Thank You...no.....I hate bacon and I don't like jalapeños

Had a great hashbrown casserole for lunch last Sunday..... it was supposed to come with bacon....I got it without bacon.... it was delicious

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
On the way into work this morning...

2019_Audi_R8_Spyder_Performance_Carbon_Black_V10_Quattro_5.2.jpg

Audi R8 Spyder

Track season brings a lot of interesting cars to my area

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the way into work this morning...

Audi R8 Spyder

Track season brings a lot of interesting cars to my area
Here too. The R8 is awesome. At that performance level, it's one of the few you'd actually want to road trip in.
I got a chance to race one (a coupe) at the local track one time. The owner asked what I had done to the Vette while we were waiting our turn. "Just bolt ons." is my standard answer. And it's the truth. Sort of. I mean, the LS3 just bolted in where the LS1 used to be... the ported heads just bolted on the the block. The blower is also held on by bolts. So I wasn't lying. Really.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for asking. She’s doing reasonably well. The war keeps her stressed, of course. But the folks she knows back home are still more or less safe.

Good to hear, I've been wondering about how she was and about how she was dealing with the war. Thank you for responding. Please tell her I said hello.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We’re supposed to get to 96F with high humidity here in the foothills of the Adirondacks today. Thursday 90 and Friday 91. Not as hot as Europe though
Yeah, really hot all over. Hearing about the heatwaves moving through the Midwest and Northeast. We're in the low 80s right now, but expecting it to get into the mid to upper 90's shortly...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, really hot all over. Hearing about the heatwaves moving through the Midwest and Northeast. We're in the low 80s right now, but expecting it to get into the mid to upper 90's shortly...
We were in the mid 80s yesterday still with this dang high humidity
usually means thunderstorms are on the way, but none predicted until tomorrow, but they have been off with those predictions lately, so who knows

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bit of a long story below:

Got an email from a recruiter yesterday, asking if I was interested in a position. I'm not really, the job is pretty much what I'm doing right now except it wouldn't be for an MSP, and would be onsite rather than hybrid. And I like my job, so doubly not interested.

Anyway, I responded out of curiosity, asking what the pay was for this job. That was the only question I asked, no info on whether or not I'm interested. He gives me a pay range, the high end of it is almost exactly double my current pay, and the low end wasn't too much lower. Okay, now he's got my attention.

We go back and forth, he's looking for specific things, which are listed in my resume, but not in quite the way he wants. I adjust my resume a few times, probably took him longer to read it with the changes than it did for me to adjust. Finally, once he's happy with it, he sends "oh, and what pay range are you looking for".

I email him back, reminding him that was my first question, and quote the pay range he gave me, making it clear that I'm quoting what he gave and I was fine with that range. He shoots back almost immediately that range is a bit too high for the position, and they've got someone else interested who's willing for a different amount already, that's 20k below it.

That's still significantly above my current pay, but I just know it's not going to end there. If I interview with them, they're going to say that was pushing it as well/that's higher than he was told/budget cuts/blah blah, and offer me even less.

I email him back and say that the new amount is fine, remind him again that I was just quoting his statement on the pay, not making that request myself. And also mention, to avoid the above rigamarole, that if it goes lower than that I am not interested. He had been responding to all the other emails within 5-10 minutes, and unsurprisingly after I told him that no further responses.

No big loss. But I don't see why recruiters can't just be honest from the start and avoid wasting their own time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Got an email from a recruiter yesterday, asking if I was interested in a position. I'm not really, the job is pretty much what I'm doing right now except it wouldn't be for an MSP, and would be onsite rather than hybrid. And I like my job, so doubly not interested.

Anyway, I responded out of curiosity, asking what the pay was for this job. That was the only question I asked, no info on whether or not I'm interested. He gives me a pay range, the high end of it is almost exactly double my current pay, and the low end wasn't too much lower. Okay, now he's got my attention.

We go back and forth, he's looking for specific things, which are listed in my resume, but not in quite the way he wants. I adjust my resume a few times, probably took him longer to read it with the changes than it did for me to adjust. Finally, once he's happy with it, he sends "oh, and what pay range are you looking for".

I email him back, reminding him that was my first question, and quote the pay range he gave me, making it clear that I'm quoting what he gave and I was fine with that range. He shoots back almost immediately that range is a bit too high for the position, and they've got someone else interested who's willing for a different amount already, that's 20k below it.

That's still significantly above my current pay, but I just know it's not going to end there. If I interview with them, they're going to say that was pushing it as well/that's higher than he was told/budget cuts/blah blah, and offer me even less.

I email him back and say that the new amount is fine, remind him again that I was just quoting his statement on the pay, not making that request myself. And also mention, to avoid the above rigamarole, that if it goes lower than that I am not interested. He had been responding to all the other emails within 5-10 minutes, and unsurprisingly after I told him that no further responses.

No big loss. But I don't see why recruiters can't just be honest from the start and avoid wasting their own time.
he is probably on reddit right now, complaining about how nobody wants to work anymore.
When they are engaging in an active bait and switch.

somewhere in the convo you should have thrown in the 'you called me' line..... ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Didn’t Apple get sued for this in California?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Another day in the 90s here...with high humidity do it feels like the 100s....yesterday we matched a record...97...also with high humidity and feeling like it was in the 100s

But tonight we are supposed to get thunderstorms.... and then....back to high heat and humidity

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just checked...they have changed all our forcat temperatures...to hotter...but still with high humidity

Yesterday 97
Today 95
Friday 97
Saturday 98
Sunday 99

If this pattern keeps up we'll be at 104 by a week from Friday

Latest Discussions