Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What do they put Chinese restaurants in out your way...caves?
LOL. Not caves... but they don't have windows. In Germany, the bars/clubs without windows were the gay bars. Here, they're the Chinese restaurants. Not all of them... but a lot of them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
LOL. Not caves... but they don't have windows. In Germany, the bars/clubs without windows were the gay bars. Here, they're the Chinese restaurants. Not all of them... but a lot of them.

I'm trying to think of a Chinese restaurant I have been in without windows and there are a few, one was on the second floor of a building in Boston Chinatown and the others were all in Beijing, and there were a few. All were stand alone buildings, one was huge and the other 2 were small neighbourhood restaurants.... where I stood out like a sore thumb...absolutely the only westerner in sight

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
they definitely seem to block out the windows.
Might be a Feng Shui thing.....strip malls don't look very inviting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You must be referring to Federal Way... some great Korean BBQ around there. Yum.

Could be. I read a story a while back about a Cambodian refugee who opened a donut shop, and then started helping other refugees help their own donut shops, too.

it's been 39 years. It might have been Federal Way. It baffled me, that virtually no building, not one business had english signs up.

They might have changed that since then....
I just wish Mama San would not have closed. Really good, and non-cookiecutter food.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ugh.. been sick for a week and a half thinking I'd just wait it out. Tested myself multiple times and always came back negative, so must be a cold. There are some reeeally vicious colds going around here, and I hadn't been sick in like 2 years, so it's hit me hard!

Finally went to the docs today as I was just gettin worse, thinks it's an infection of some sort so starting on antibiotics. Really didn't want to but ah well here we are.

The sheer amount of water, honey, ginger, lemon and garlic I have consumed recently is staggering 🤣

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh my god... it is like pulling teeth to get questions answered about administering systems I have been given to administer.... ask 3 questions, get one answered,.... ask 2 questions....get 1 answered....ask one question....may or may not get an answer.... or possibly get an answer...that if the question was actually read...they would already know what they asked.....

fml-sylvester.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
School closed on Monday (1 of 2 kali nights) for july 4th, Had a flat tire, and additional car issues so just took to a mechanic, job issues, my wife having job issue, my wife had drama issues, had to call 911 for wife suicidal friends, ready for this week to end. Hoping next week will go better.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
78 and sunny here in Seattle. Beautiful day but I’ve been fighting my allergies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(for reference I work at an MSP). Three instances that happened this week, showing what IT directors now, all from different companies.

Company 1: Hired a new IT director. He calls in first day that he can't access their o365 admin console. Fair enough, not on him, we would have given him permission had the initial ticket specified his role. But then he states he also doesn't know how to add his work email to his phone...any competent person should be able to add that, never mind an IT director...
Company 2: Has a new employee. They added said employee on their local Active Directory. They added them wrong. As they've done with about 5/10 of their most recent hires. They know the correct process, just somehow keep messing it up half the time. We have to go in and correct it each time they mess up. Also, they only inform us after the person's started working. So sometimes us fixing their mistakes means the person can't log in. We've talked to them about it, they still make the same mistake, and they still inform us after they start working. Bonus: everyone who starts has the same, very predictable password, and they choose to not allow the individual to change the password. Their director of IT finds this convenient since they can just go through a list of very guessable passwords if they ever need to access their account.
Company 3: Wants to use a camera that has caused us many issues in the past. This camera software only works in internet explorer. Not chrome, not firefox, not edge. The person who made the software has died, and was a one-man team, to my knowledge. While tragic, this means the software no longer works. The IT director at this building does not understand why we can't simply make the web portal adaptable to chrome, despite us having no access to the code that caused the web portal to work. He got multiple emails from my boss and his boss, and chooses to continue to cc me in them and ask if I can help him instead of them because I've helped him in the past. Despite me only joining this career 2 years ago, and me personally trusting both my boss and his boss way more than I. This was also the guy who was having internet issues, which amounted to: You're plugged into x1 on this device right? He said yes. My boss said "Okay, if you are it should be working. Can you double-check? He double-checked and confirmed. I drove 45 minutes to the site to see what was happening. He was plugged into x3, not x1.
why the Good Lord made alcohol and chocolate
And bacon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
(for reference I work at an MSP). Three instances that happened this week, showing what IT directors now, all from different companies.

Company 1: Hired a new IT director. He calls in first day that he can't access their o365 admin console. Fair enough, not on him, we would have given him permission had the initial ticket specified his role. But then he states he also doesn't know how to add his work email to his phone...any competent person should be able to add that, never mind an IT director...
Company 2: Has a new employee. They added said employee on their local Active Directory. They added them wrong. As they've done with about 5/10 of their most recent hires. They know the correct process, just somehow keep messing it up half the time. We have to go in and correct it each time they mess up. Also, they only inform us after the person's started working. So sometimes us fixing their mistakes means the person can't log in. We've talked to them about it, they still make the same mistake, and they still inform us after they start working. Bonus: everyone who starts has the same, very predictable password, and they choose to not allow the individual to change the password. Their director of IT finds this convenient since they can just go through a list of very guessable passwords if they ever need to access their account.
Company 3: Wants to use a camera that has caused us many issues in the past. This camera software only works in internet explorer. Not chrome, not firefox, not edge. The person who made the software has died, and was a one-man team, to my knowledge. While tragic, this means the software no longer works. The IT director at this building does not understand why we can't simply make the web portal adaptable to chrome, despite us having no access to the code that caused the web portal to work. He got multiple emails from my boss and his boss, and chooses to continue to cc me in them and ask if I can help him instead of them because I've helped him in the past. Despite me only joining this career 2 years ago, and me personally trusting both my boss and his boss way more than I. This was also the guy who was having internet issues, which amounted to: You're plugged into x1 on this device right? He said yes. My boss said "Okay, if you are it should be working. Can you double-check? He double-checked and confirmed. I drove 45 minutes to the site to see what was happening. He was plugged into x3, not x1.

IT can be so much fun.....can't wait to retire

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice weather here today...but I'm allergic to something..... and the sinuses are not happy
Come back to Colorado. It's been 97F-102F this week. So no allergies. The pollen spontaneously combusts. Almost always before it gets into your sinuses...
Plus, we have bacon.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Come back to Colorado. It's been 97F-102F this week. So no allergies. The pollen spontaneously combusts. Almost always before it gets into your sinuses...
Plus, we have bacon.

Hmm..actually.....burning pollen, temps between 97 and 102....and bacon... all good reasons to NOT go to Colorado if you ask me

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Dirty Dog speaking of bacon.... You'd be proud...well..sorta....I went to brunch today....the only thing I saw on the menu that I did not think would be a problem was avocado toast...when it got to the table...it had bacon on it.... but not to worry...I took all the bacon of and put it aside for you
Hipster!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I have not been able to drink tea..... not even decaf tea...I find I am drinking more coffee, it is decaf, but I grind it from whole bean, so it's been pretty good... drinking it black and with heated soy milk
YASS!