"I believe I was next"

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical situation for you. You're standing in line at at Java Judy's, or Andrew's Autoparts, doesnt matter. But someone looks right at you, acting like they were next, they walk in line ahead of you. You know different. How did you handle it? Or what would you do next time?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends on the situation. If I'm in no hurry, I might make a comment out loud to no one in particular like, "Good thing there isn't a line or anything."
If I'm feeling ornery, I might make a more pointed comment.
You'd be surprised how many of these rude pricks will apologize and back off, especially if someone else chimes in or laughs at my comment.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical situation for you. You're standing in line at at Java Judy's, or Andrew's Autoparts, doesn't matter. But someone looks right at you, acting like they were next, they walk in line ahead of you. You know different. How did you handle it? Or what would you do next time?
Slip a shank into their kidney and twist the blade so the wound can't close properly, then step over their bleeding bodies as if nothing happened.... that'll teach 'em!

It depends largely upon my mood at the time it happened. I've said in various tones of voice "excuse me" ranging from annoyance to the polite "*ahem* do you mind?"
I'll be civil of course but my tone will at least register in the other person how I feel about. What they do and how they respond determines my next move. Usually it'll be tolerated and I'll just think less of the jerk hence forth. How much less determines their response.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a time to see what kind of business you are dealing with. You shouldn't have to fight for a place in line and the cashier should be the one to say something. If you don't like the results, tell them why you are never comming back and why you will tell your friends to do the same.
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am like FD I would have to say something like gee I guess you are so more important than everyone else and see what they say.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am like FD I would have to say something like gee I guess you are so more important than everyone else and see what they say.
You know who does this crap all the time? Its little old ladies. The way I figure, it ain't worth the trouble to argue, but I may say something next time in honor of this thread.
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know who does this crap all the time? Its little old ladies. The way I figure, it ain't worth the trouble to argue, but I may say something next time in honor of this thread.
Sean

Well touch if it was a little old lady I would never say anything they are special to all of us.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw the situation happen to the guy who was supposed to be behind me in the self-checkout lane.

Guy: "You know, lady,there are things called lines and I was next!"

Cutter: "Who cares? I started checking my stuff already, pal. You snooze, you lose."

Man: grumbles under his breath and doesn't do anything, his face red from the furious wrath over the mere offense of getting cut in line.

I'm not ruining my day over an impolite person. Now, if I was in a hurry, I'd say something stating the timeliness of my situation, and politely awaiting a reply, for better or worse. It doesn't hurt to haggle, especially about your time. But a physical/violently verbal conflict over something like that is asinine in my opinion.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saw the situation happen to the guy who was supposed to be behind me in the self-checkout lane.

Guy: "You know, lady,there are things called lines and I was next!"

Cutter: "Who cares? I started checking my stuff already, pal. You snooze, you lose."

Man: grumbles under his breath and doesn't do anything, his face red from the furious wrath over the mere offense of getting cut in line.

I'm not ruining my day over an impolite person. Now, if I was in a hurry, I'd say something stating the timeliness of my situation, and politely awaiting a reply, for better or worse. It doesn't hurt to haggle, especially about your time. But a physical/violently verbal conflict over something like that is asinine in my opinion.
I agree.
Sean

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
This happened just the other day. A new register opened up at Von's with long lines at the others. I got in 2nd in the mad scramble. A young-ish man stepped right in front of me mumbling something about how he was ahead in the other lines. I just laughed at said something like "Alright then!". Life's too short to start fist fights in a grocery store.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical situation for you. You're standing in line at at Java Judy's, or Andrew's Autoparts, doesnt matter. But someone looks right at you, acting like they were next, they walk in line ahead of you. You know different. How did you handle it? Or what would you do next time?

This is a hanging, drawing and quartering offence in the UK. You will get beaten up by fearless old ladies for doing this.the whole queue would complain. In fact it's been known to cause riots.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite right, Irene :D. Queue jumping is an offence to the national character - even 'hoodies' know better {after all there are easier ways to die than the death of a thousand brolly pokes :lol:}.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite right, Irene :D. Queue jumping is an offence to the national character - even 'hoodies' know better {after all there are easier ways to die than the death of a thousand brolly pokes :lol:}.

Hey, I know what a brolly is, does that mean I'm bi lingual??:D

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
lol i cant say i would argue about it, but if im in a rush i may say something to the checker like, excuse me i was next inline may i be helped first? but to address the person i feel is pointless they have already non-verbally stated that they do not value your time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Slip a shank into their kidney and twist the blade so the wound can't close properly, then step over their bleeding bodies as if nothing happened.... that'll teach 'em!

:xtrmshock oh caver... that is so wrong :disgust:

Garrote them, it sets a more visual example for the next guy that might try it :D

I tend to let them know there is a line behind me.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually just walk up to the counter as if the person doesn't exist.

Latest Discussions