I have committed a sin ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys, girls and everyone else out there ...

I have an important announcement to make.

I have done it. Regrettably, heart-rippingly, gut-wrenchingly, with the sound of my entire being ripped into shreds, sounding the shriek of the damned and unforgiven ... I have done it.

I ...

have given up ...

coffee.

That's right. Java. Joe. Cappucino, Frappucino, espresso, mocha. That good old swift kick-in-the-pants that got me going in the morning and kept me going all day.

Gone.

I had white tea with breakfast this morning.

:shrug:

Do you have any idea how absolutely disheartening it was? Oh, and did I mention that caffeine is addictive? I'm jonesing SOO BAAD right now for some coffee I can't stand it.

This is how bad it is: I thought I smelled coffee coming from my oldest son's room. He's not supposed to have caffeine. I burst into his room after all children were gone this morning to find a canister of Hills Brothers instant Double Fudge Mocha Cappucino mix tucked into the corner of his room covered by some blankets.

I'm seriously considering making some, but I have no idea what else he might have put in it. Then again, I'm not so sure I care anymore.

Now, I've done this many times before. In fact, I think I'd need the fingers and toes of the entire staff plus a few members to count how many times I've done this ... but I'm coming out now in an effort to gallantly brave the coming detoxification and soon-to-be crabbiness.

So ... pray for me ... drive me to a meeting ... be my sponsor ... what the hell else? Oh yeah - can you make me a cup of coffee?

:tantrum:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll pray for you but I don't think I can be your sponsor given that I still have the addiction ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys, girls and everyone else out there ...

I have an important announcement to make.

I have done it. Regrettably, heart-rippingly, gut-wrenchingly, with the sound of my entire being ripped into shreds, sounding the shriek of the damned and unforgiven ... I have done it.

I ...

have given up ...

coffee.

But why, Shesulsa? I don't want to undermine your program or anything, and I've no beans to grind, so to speak, on the issue because my caffeine-fix-of-choice is weapons-grade Darjeeling or English Breakfast Tea—I've never drunk coffee—but... the last info I've seen on the subject suggests that coffee is good for you—specifically good for your cardiopulmonary system, i.e., good for your heart and helps protect you against strokes.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You... are dead to me.

Seriously though, good luck. It's a hard habit to break. Depending on your usage, expect a few days of migraine-level headaches and a week or so of lethargy. The last time I quit, I was going to bed around 7pm every night. :asian:

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was raised by southerners. Pre-WWII, when they grew up, as soon as you were old enough to sit up in a high chair, you were fed what everyone else got, only softer. So when they raised me, as soon as I was able to pour my own cereal (five years), I found a cup of coffee sitting next to it. A lot of cream, a lot of sugar and I was good to GO!

So that means I've been drinking a cup a day minimum for 36 years. It will be tough to break, but I've done it before for long periods. I'd just like to be rid of it as a regular habit again.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh my. You're a stronger woman than I. Good luck, and I'll just keeping to myself around you for the time being. :D ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
...not to mention mild fits of psychotic rage (or at least severe crankiness) for a while.

I had to give up caffeine for medical reasons. It took about two weeks to dry out. The last time my wife was trying to conceive she gave it up and took the opportunity to stay off it except for tea.

Good luck. After the first couple weeks it isn't so bad.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I....I...I...I just don't know what to say to you....:uhohh:

I am not even sure we can still be friends...:idunno:

I need time and space to think how this will effect our friendship...OMG...my world is being turned upside down.. I am lost. :(

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I need time and space to think how this will effect our friendship...OMG...my world is being turned upside down.. I am lost. :(

You can still drink coffee with me, Lisa ;)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea — what Exile said.... WHY?

Why not the "in moderation" route?

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa you and I are on the same path. I'm trying to quit caffeine, I've become too dependant upon it. A cup (big cup) of coffee before work. At least one soda or energy drink while at work, followed by another large cup o' joe before school after I get off work.

I've about managed to break the soda habbit, except for last night I was weak and had some with dinner :whip:

I'm slowly but surely trying to quit the coffee. Though it doesnt help when I get to work in the morning and my manager asks 'do you want coffee this morning?' How does one say no when someone else is buying!

I'm taking it just one day at a time. *twitch* I think *twitch* I'll be okay.

*twitch*

I hope....

*twitch*

May god have mercy on our souls, Shesulsa

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Coffee? I never really got the whole gotta have coffee thing. Given the subject line I was hoping for some juicier reading. The confession started out sounding like Jimmy Swaggert, but then turned into giving up bean juice.

:)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those of you who are still guzzling from The Devil's Cup I would like to recommend something so evil, so sinful, so loaded with life-giving caffeine that you will fall down on your knees and curse the Shadhiliya for bringing the cursed bean out of Africa and hold out your bowls for more.

The Indonesians call it Kopih Tarik, White Coffee. It's regular coffee beans, but they are only roasted until they're slightly yellow, just past green. Once you've had some you'll realize that even the best coffee you had before was burned. The liquor is lighter, almost yellow. The taste is more like a nut. If you've ever had barley tea it's similar. You can drink it like it was water. There's none of the bitterness or alkaloid taste of roasted coffee. And it has 2-3 times the caffeine of your regular cuppa Joe.

The roaster I get it from uses only certified Organic beans to avoid risks to customers from pesticides and fertilizers that might be destroyed in the regular roasting process but would be on the unprocessed product. He also says that the yellow beans are hard and will tear up a home burr grinder.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I will have coffee with you too! But I wont be staying for dinner and chianti. :p

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those of you who are still guzzling from The Devil's Cup I would like to recommend something so evil, so sinful, so loaded with life-giving caffeine that you will fall down on your knees and curse the Shadhiliya for bringing the cursed bean out of Africa and hold out your bowls for more.

The Indonesians call it Kopih Tarik, White Coffee. It's regular coffee beans, but they are only roasted until they're slightly yellow, just past green. Once you've had some you'll realize that even the best coffee you had before was burned. The liquor is lighter, almost yellow. The taste is more like a nut. If you've ever had barley tea it's similar. You can drink it like it was water. There's none of the bitterness or alkaloid taste of roasted coffee. And it has 2-3 times the caffeine of your regular cuppa Joe.

The roaster I get it from uses only certified Organic beans to avoid risks to customers from pesticides and fertilizers that might be destroyed in the regular roasting process but would be on the unprocessed product. He also says that the yellow beans are hard and will tear up a home burr grinder.

Hrmph. I prefer the dark roasts, thanks :)

Latest Discussions