how to detect fake move of my opponent?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, worry less about what the other persons doing. Worry about your gameplan.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
how to detect fake move of my opponent? any idea?

If in doubt -- act. Movement is movement, and the more you try to figure out fake vs real, the more likely you are to get hit while you're trying to figure things out.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A proper feint relies on looking real. The proper intention, mechanics, distance and timing all have to be used to make the other person think you are going to hit them. So if someone is using a proper feint, you won't know until it is too late.
Like Cyriacus said, focus on what you are trying to accomplish and don't worry so much about what the other person is doing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fakes should look the same as the actual move. You should not worry about telling the difference but rather on being committed to your moves regardless of the opponents fakes or moves. As I tell all my students "do your job". If you job is to jab then worry only about your jab. If you job is to move then worry only about your movement. Nothing else is in your control so simply "do your job" at the time.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Improving your own fakes/feints--some people distinguish between them, some don't--can help. Working with someone else who will explain to you after sparring how they tricked you can help. Unless the opponent is just bad at it, though, it should be hard to tell when they're coming.

WingChun

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not know what art you train in, but I will tell you what we use in wing chun and jkd. In wing chun, we wait until the opponents attack is within our "triangle" (the triangle is from your shoulders to your fingertips, when you connect your arms in a triangle shape, with your elbows aprox. 75% extended.) We do this because in wing chun we do not believe in overextending ourselves. Once he enters, we attack. Doing this will ensure that you do not lose your balance.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you see any kind of a twitch and hes in your range,,,,attack him

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you see any kind of a twitch and hes in your range,,,,attack him

This is a core concept in some martial arts, Latosa Escrima for example. Basically it boils down to....

Attack first, be pro-active and force your opponent to be re-active. That cuts down on fakes big time.

Then, even if he tries a fake, there's the "So what?" approach. Your opponent attacks and you defensively counterattack. Your defense is not just a block, but an "interference strike" or defensive counterattack aggressively directed at your opponent ...not just chasing his hand, foot or other weapon.

If it turns out that your opponent's attack is a feint, or if he changes attack, you just follow through with your own counterattack and hit him. His fake or change of direction, target, etc will make his movement to be less direct and slower than your counterattack ...if you ignore his attempted fake and just follow through. So when he fakes, you mentally say "So what?" and beat him to the punch.

For the "So what?" approach to work, you've got to keep the forward pressure on, and you've got to develop good, explosive "short power". On the other hand, if you are the one who hesitates or draws back to strike, you give the advantage to your opponent. Check out the clip below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZ1yFcg5yw&list=PLC96E990D5DE9BB21&index=14

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are in motion and not caught flat footed, then the fake has less effect on you.

Latest Discussions