How do fights 'go to the ground'?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OC Kid said:
I did say one should know the basics of ground fighting.

But Ill tell you this.When it comes to a street fight

I am not going to tell you lets go outside unless Im planning on cracking you over the head from behind, or dont cross that line.unless when you do Im kicking you in the groin.

When its time Im hitting you with beer bottles chairs, poking you in the eyes, I dont play, I fight to survive, If its a road rage Im not letting you out of the car.. Im plan on taking out the guy the fastest meanest most effective way possible.Then getting out of there period.

Sorry. I believe perhaps you misunderstood my post, as it was supporting what you said.

Either that, or I'm misunderstanding you.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Take a look on real street fighting videos of actual fights. Most of the time they do go to the ground,(not always). The above reasons from guys before me are all correct of the whys fights go to the ground. Expect it and train for ground fighting. Biting,scratching,pinching,eye gouging and so on. This is different from wrestling and Judo. Throws are the same though.
Real fighting is no rules, anything goes. Just keep fighting or lose. But no one likes to go to Jail , the Hospital or worst?

The best "win, win " is to walk away, if can? .......be a winner, Aloha

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
I never heard that "most fights go to the ground" until Brazilian Jujitsu got popular. I don't know that to be a fact or that anyone can actually document that claim.

If it is true that most fights go to the ground, I am sure you will find that if you seperate fights that did and did not go to the ground, you will find that most of those that did go to the ground did not have a trained, experienced martial artists involved.

Even if most do go to the ground, you will find that none, or an extremely low percentage, start there. The reason they go to the ground is that one participant thinks he will have an advantage by tackling or throwing the other and getting on top of him (which is not necessarily so). Also involved here is the other participants inability to stay on his feet and properly defend himself.

In the street, the ground can be a dangerous place to be. But it does not have to be. If properly trained, you can have an advantage on the ground - even if your opponent is still standing.

But through proper training, you should be able to avoid going to the ground.
I think you misunderstand the statement "Most fights go to the ground". That statement doesn't necessarily mean that one the combatants did a double-leg takedown on his opponent.

Guess you didn't see many street fights before 1993.Usually the ground just ends up being where they end up. I can assure that most of them went to the ground unless someone got knocked out. It didn't look nice, neat and pretty like they do Post-Gracie, but there they went. It usually looked like two guys hugging each others neck and trying to pound each other with their free hand. There wasn't any talent or order too it, and they were usually just trying to stand up without getting hit.

Sometimes someone got kicked or punched or hit by a beer bottle. I think the comment about "The path of least resistance" is probably the most accurate.

I've had the dubious distinction of having been in a few pre-1993 (and a couple of post ones) street fights and watching a great deal more. Rolling around on the ground was pretty common from what I observed. Even then I was pretty good at maintaining my footing, but I still remember a couple of fights where I ended up on the ground with the guy, and not because we planned it. I only remember a few actual fights where at least one party managed to stay on his feet, and that was fights where there was such a mismatch that one person dominated the other or knocked them out. If there was any kind of resistance at all, both parties invariably ended up on the ground. I still see that as being the case.

That having been said, if you have some strong take down defense, some situational awareness, and some luck, you can avoid tripping over that garbage can, that water meter lid, or that garden fence in a street fight.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that about 80% of all fights end up on the ground and that is because of both sides trying to throw off balance, timing, and rhythm. This is why I love Kajukenbo because we incorporate Judo into our system and for our belt tests. This way if I were to get into a fight (God forbid it) I would be able to handle myself on the ground.

S

safeeagle

My feeling on this is that most fights that go to the ground, are between people who haven't been trained to fight. It's the safe way. What do boxers do to stop the punching they wrap up. Perhaps i'm being a little to simplistic on this matter.

Latest Discussions