What Kind of Street Fighter Are You?

J

Josh

laugh at him like it's the funniest S**t you've ever heard, and just intercept whatever comes or just run. get knocked down, don't keep getting back to get knocked down again

K

Kevin Walker

Josh said:
laugh at him like it's the funniest S**t you've ever heard, and just intercept whatever comes or just run. get knocked down, don't keep getting back to get knocked down again
Hi Josh,

The idea is to knock 'him' down, not for you to keep getting 'knocked' down, or you better give up the Martial Arts. One of my buddies gave up Tae Kwon Do for baseball.

G

Gaidheal

My biggest question would be: "What are Martial Artists doing in 'street-fights'?"

Self-defence where you have no option but to 'return fire', sure. Pubs, clubs, other enclosed spaces. In a street? Why are you still there when you could be walking/running/driving? Why were you even involved if your SA was up to par?

John

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dunno, never fought on a street before. Prefferable I'd the the 'Distance Fighter', you know, the kind who's looking at you through a scope while calmly sitting 300 yards away.

S

sasquatchnaruto

Street fighting isnt pleasant at all, preferable I would walk but if it comes down to it all 3 are the key limitations wont help you

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a street fighter. But I am a surviver. So what ever it takes to survive a street fighter.

T

Tydive

I was a talker. Most of the time I could accomplish my goal by talking / joking.

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry…NONE of you are street fighters. Street fighters, to put it bluntly are complete *******s. Street fighters are a lot of the time members of gangs, they LIVE on the ****ing streets and hunt each other day and night. There is no glory in being a street fighter. Half the time you’d be looking out for that other guy that “doesn’t like your face” hiding in a dark alley and when you least expect it, he pops out and blows your head off. Street fighters are found either dead in such an alley or dead in a hospital…they rarely last long.

If you run into one, he’s not gonna wait for you to use your 208 killer combo techniques that would never work anyway. He’s gonna ****ing drop a bomb on you when HE chooses under HIS terms…he’s gonna cheat…you see fighting on the streets is a game played unfairly ALL the time. The bad guy is gonna try and cheat you, and if you don’t catch on, or cheat even more than he does, your goin six feet under. If you don’t strike first, you are also most likely ****ing dead because whoever strikes first usually wins fights. That’s how I’ve won mine. Street fighting for your average citizens (which is what we are) is about survival (which could mean surviving by killing him, beating the **** out of him, or even losing, but managing to escape somehow)…especially when you run into a seasoned street vet. He has spent countless hours/years, however the **** how long training tactics he has pressure tested almost EVERYDAY of his “Street” life. That could be 1 year, 2 years, 7 years, etc. He knows how fights go down, he knows how to cheat, and he knows how to kill, and doesn’t have a problem with it. In a street fight, you may not only face this guy, but you may face his 3 friends at the same time…and lets not forget you will also be facing the court system if you kill them all to survive, which you may have to do. And unfortunately the courts are not as vigilante as me, or perhaps you.

So please don’t think of yourself as a street fighter, because you are not, and you will lose respect from anyone with the slightest sense of morale. Hopefully you are an average citizen who has respect for others and yourself.

By all means continue to train hard, but for your sake, remember to train realistically ALL the time.

Forever Vigilant,

Jeff

Reactions: MJS

Nightwish

White Belt
Reaction score
Gaidheal said:
My biggest question would be: "What are Martial Artists doing in 'street-fights'?"

Self-defence where you have no option but to 'return fire', sure. Pubs, clubs, other enclosed spaces. In a street? Why are you still there when you could be walking/running/driving? Why were you even involved if your SA was up to par?

John
Because violence chooses YOU, and if its the other way around, you will get yours. Awareness is ****ing important, of course it is, but people are not in a combative mindset all the time, they get caught up in their daily lives, the fight they had with the wife/girlfriend or whatever this morning, their bills, their job they just lost.

Why am i still there if i could be walking/running/driving???? I may have a sprained ankle, I may not have a car, your only choice may be fighting when usually, you could get out of it, but because of your physical/mental state, you cannot get out of it. It's not that great of a choice, but you gotta go with it.

You know what sucks? I have to fight EVERY ****ing time, and you know why? cause i have an artificial leg (not that that's a bad thing in itself at all though)...i can't run away, even from a multiple armed assailant attack, i gotta fight, and i know the odds suck, but i still have to do it. I can walk fairly fast yeah, but that ain't gonna do ****.

The bottom line is still violence will choose YOU. If you can avoid rough places, then great, thats what you wanna do and thats the first step, if you aren't there it can't happen, but sometimes it COMES to where YOU are, and you may just have to fight.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,It doesn't take much to get Kill! Many years ago a bully(karate expert) was in the news alot,because of the troubles he causes, anytime and expert steps in to do the wrong..makes news. One evening at a take-out window a high school boy went up to order something and look at the bully, and the bully did not like the way,the boy look back. The bully push him for a fight and the boy fell backwards and hit his head on the sidewalk and died. Today the Karate expert is in Jail for life. Any time you get in to a fight...anything can happen....no one wants to die or go to jail? Are you a streetfighter? There is a cost for everything? Awareness and a cool head,be able to leave,run,get away...is my style of a streetfighter....death do we part. just my thoughts and...., do you mean when you have no choice...no rules.. I think I might go the jail? or be bury? this makes you think hard about life? Aloha

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kane said:
People fight in the street in many ways. But it is basicly broken down into 3 categories. Those are Striking, Slamming, and Submission.

Striking: These include any type of hitting. Punches, kickes, knee, elbows, headbutts, palms, ect. all count as a strike.

Slamming: Bash there body on yourself, ground, ceiling, or wall. This basicly is using throwing an oponent on your fist as hard as you can, or on some other object i.e. picking up a man in their abdomen or legs and slamming on a surface (some might call it a spinbuster). Pushing can also fall in this category. Basicly throws and takedowns.

Submission: Focus on pressure points, joints, and submission moves. Moves like armbars, chokes, joint locks, ect.

In a situation on the street where your only option is to fight, which type of style would you use the most?

I would probably use more Slamming moves while standing, and more Submission moves on the ground. I might only strike of if I have them in the mount, or he is a good ground fighter in which I kick him on the ground.
I am a striker, but I am training in some chinese wrestling now to make me more well rounded. I have done ju jitsu and judo but Im not confident enough to use them in a street situation or a challenge match. I have only been training in chinese wrestling for a few months and I already feel very confident with it.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have only been in a real fight once (too many) one strike, k/o'ed the leader, that was all that was needed to deter the baddies, then i got out, asap.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm starting slowly,working on the basics,like lanes,circles,and cul-de-sacs. Eventually I'll get tougher and work my way up to Streets,Avenues,and the one I've heard horrible things about....Expressways.

But I think I need a lot more experience before taking on multi-lane roads!:rofl:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kane said:
People fight in the street in many ways. But it is basicly broken down into 3 categories. Those are Striking, Slamming, and Submission.

Striking: These include any type of hitting. Punches, kickes, knee, elbows, headbutts, palms, ect. all count as a strike.

Slamming: Bash there body on yourself, ground, ceiling, or wall. This basicly is using throwing an oponent on your fist as hard as you can, or on some other object i.e. picking up a man in their abdomen or legs and slamming on a surface (some might call it a spinbuster). Pushing can also fall in this category. Basicly throws and takedowns.

Submission: Focus on pressure points, joints, and submission moves. Moves like armbars, chokes, joint locks, ect.

In a situation on the street where your only option is to fight, which type of style would you use the most?

I would probably use more Slamming moves while standing, and more Submission moves on the ground. I might only strike of if I have them in the mount, or he is a good ground fighter in which I kick him on the ground.
In the fights i've been in, they usually started out with either a punch of a forearm strike to the jaw area. If that didn't knock out my opponent, a few more punches might have been thrown, or a couple of low line kicks. Most fights that didn't end there, usually ended up in upright grappling which I ended with a standing neck restraint (strangle/choke). I have never been on the ground as a civilian in my adult life. I do take a lot of guys to the ground at work (i'm a police officer) because that's the most stable platform to handcuff a resisting subject. In a street fight, however, a combination of punches/elbows/knees/forearms along with upright grappling (especially chokes) is how I fight. I tried to headbutt a guy once, but he had me by the hair of the head, and I couldn't get my head to him. So I grabbed him by the throat instead. That changed the color of the fight, when fingers met behind his wind pipe and he realized he couldn't breath, he decided fighting me was less important than getting somewhere else, and he decided that discreation was the better part of valor. I like standing forearms for the openning move in a streetfight, there's a good chance you can knock the other guy out with a good solid forearm to the V of the jaw. I've knocked a few guys out, and the ones I didn't knock out, I knocked off of their feet and put them on the defensive. I like to preceed it by the groin slap. The groin slap causes the other guy to immediately move his whole upper body forward and stick his chin straight out. Don't believe me? Try it on a buddy. I guarantee every time his hands will go to his groin and his upper body will move toward you, with his chin stuck straight out. When your opponent does that, hit him across the V of the jaw with a slightly downward forearm strike. Trust me. The difference between the UFC and the street isn't necessarily the techniques, it's the element of the surprise. In the UFC both people know there's a fight, and they know when it'll start. Not a whole lot of surprises in the UFC where everybody has watched everyone else's fight tapes. Those guys are tought, but they aren't surprised too much by the overall ability of their opponents. Not so in the street where Speed, Surprise and Violence of Action usually carry the day in the street. Of course, the best street fight is the one you avoid. Saves teeth and lawsuits, as i've learned in my older age. Still, it never hurts to be prepared.

G

gp322

Wing Chun is the best for street fighter, no matter where you go, Wing Chun can stick to your opponents and knock them out ... that's why Bruce Lee learnt Wing Chun and expressed "no way as a way" this is from Wing Chun ... go to http://www.mastercarloslee.shawbiz.ca/videoclips.htm take a look, then you can get the answer ... :supcool:

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not know what type of streetfighter I would be. I also hope that I never have to find out!

Latest Discussions