What Kind of Street Fighter Are You?

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
People fight in the street in many ways. But it is basicly broken down into 3 categories. Those are Striking, Slamming, and Submission.

Striking: These include any type of hitting. Punches, kickes, knee, elbows, headbutts, palms, ect. all count as a strike.

Slamming: Bash there body on yourself, ground, ceiling, or wall. This basicly is using throwing an oponent on your fist as hard as you can, or on some other object i.e. picking up a man in their abdomen or legs and slamming on a surface (some might call it a spinbuster). Pushing can also fall in this category. Basicly throws and takedowns.

Submission: Focus on pressure points, joints, and submission moves. Moves like armbars, chokes, joint locks, ect.

In a situation on the street where your only option is to fight, which type of style would you use the most?

I would probably use more Slamming moves while standing, and more Submission moves on the ground. I might only strike of if I have them in the mount, or he is a good ground fighter in which I kick him on the ground.

O

OC Kid

I teach my students to take their right hand, grasp their enemies right hand palm to palm and move up and down with a perpendicular movement to the ground and walk away friends

L

Littledragon

I would never limit my self to one style, I will use whatever it takes in order to defend myself.

Also it is very unlikely that you will fight another martial artist on the street so a kicking expert or grappling expert wont be that common especially on the street.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OC Kid said:
I teach my students to take their right hand, grasp their enemies right hand palm to palm and move up and down with a perpendicular movement to the ground and walk away friends
That's the best street defense technique that has ever been taught. I prefer the ever popular kenpo technique "Fleeing Chicken" myself. :uhyeah:

L

Littledragon

hedgehogey said:
Lord save me from streetfighting threads.
LOL I know. My philosophy is if you avoid them there is no need to worry about a street fight because martial arts teaches one to avoid fighting.

C

Chrono

OC Kid said:
A very effective technique, I must say.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll pick Ken from Street Fighter 2. Dude could make his chi errupt into an invincible burning fist of 5 hit doom.

T

tmanifold

What kind of street fighter am I? The dirty kind and if I can help it, the winning kind. However, I prefer to be the not there kind.

Tony

I prefer to avoid a fight, but if it is unavoidable, i use whatever is nessassary to walk away as uninjured as possible.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What Kind of Street Fighter Are You?
Like what Tmanifold said... Dirty.
On the streets there's no such thing as a fair fight. So if I can use my MA skills, a 2X4, a busted bottle (or a whole one even better...so I can bust it on them) or whatever is within reach then by gum there ya go.
In the Dojo or Tournament Ring then fights become fair.
The other guy isn't going to fight fair so why the hell should I? I consider my use of MA as fighting dirty because odds are the other guy isn't going to have any.
But OC Kid had the best answer thus far...
OC Kid wrote: I teach my students to take their right hand, grasp their enemies right hand palm to palm and move up and down with a perpendicular movement to the ground and walk away friends
:asian:

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would only fight if other alternatives were not working. I would do what it took to survive, strikes to the groin, knee caps, biting, eye gouging.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Marginal I'll pick Ken from Street Fighter 2. Dude could make his chi errupt into an invincible burning fist of 5 hit doom.

Wow! Where can I purchase some of that?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer the, : "Can I buy you a drink?" method myself. If this does not work and violence is unavoidable, I still try to leave and limit the damage.

As to style, what ever works, I would just say that on people with drugs and or alcohol in their system, pressure points and joint locks may control a part of the body, it does not get the pain reaction you might be looking for, and the police may be upset if the bad guys has a broken wrist or arm, while you only have road rash.

:asian:

K

Kevin Walker

A nasty one. I kick like a mule and bite like a crocodile. Street fights have never been pleasant, for either participant.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kevin Walker said:
A nasty one. I kick like a mule and bite like a crocodile. Street fights have never been pleasant, for either participant.

You grab people by the throat then drag them underwater and twist a lot?

Latest Discussions