Has MMA popularity helped or hurt the MA Community?

The popularity of the MMA has

• Mostly helped the MA Community

• Mostly hurt the MA Community

• Helped and hurt in roughly equal measures

• No relevance to me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will say one thing mma is spawning the new mcdojo in austin everyone teaches some form of "mma" now. Some of these schools never taught more then one style before and some schools are brand new. But dont teach styles like ex: bjj, muay thai but only "mma".....
Kinda makes me mad as I used to watch alot of mma(pride fc and pre zuffa ufc) a few years ago but now I just cant stand to hardly watch it, now that its the "cool" thing to do. Plus ufc now adays make its so damn dramatic like its wwe, but its just lies to try to sell a ppv..
Sorry for the intro rant.
That makes sense. MMA is old enough and popular enough for that to happen.

MMA is also at the same point in its cycle that many TMA were twenty years ago. People want to do it and are willing to pay but don't want to get beat up or train as though they were going to compete. They just want to be able to say, 'I train in MMA' because it is cool. Exact same thing that happened to karate and taekwondo.

Daniel

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MMA and TMA are two different things. Ones a sport the other is mainly for self protecting in real life dangers. I love MMM but its there to entertain me nothing more nothing less. Pepople who want to take it up thats great do something you enjoy,but dont knock other styles for it and the same goes for TMA. Just do you and want makes you happy

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA and TMA are two different things. Ones a sport the other is mainly for self protecting in real life dangers.
I must disagree with you. TMA is a broad classification that includes everything except MMA, boxing, kickboxing, and wrestling. Fencers debate about whether or not fencing is a martial art. MMA is a single art.

Some traditional arts won't teach you to protect yourself in violent altercations. That would include any dedicated weapon art, martial arts that are entirely sportive. Entirely sportive includes judo, BJJ, sometimes taekwondo, sumo, ssirum, and others. Then there are entirely internal arts. I don't think that dealing with muggers is the primary reason that people take up Qi-jong. The way that tai chi is taught in the states, chances are it will not prepare you for anything violent either.

MMA falls into the category of being entirely sportive, and frankly, is simply a martial art. I find the dichotomy between MMA and TMA to be a false one, given that pretty much anything with a belt is categorized as TMA, even if its something that I made up five minutes ago.

MMA has its traditions. It has its protocols. Like Koryo arts, it does not use belts. Also like Koryo arts, one can become certified to teach the various skills that make up MMA, and there is a a general consensus as to what skills go into a training program in an MMA gym.

Finally, many of what we call 'TMA' are actually mixed arts as well. Hapkido and (believe it or not) taekwondo are both mixed arts. I mean actual taekwondo, not the sport seen in the olympics.

I love MMM but its there to entertain me nothing more nothing less. People who want to take it up thats great do something you enjoy,but dont knock other styles for it and the same goes for TMA.
I second that!

Just do you and want makes you happy
Amen to that!:)

Daniel

Latest Discussions