Evolution of MA thinking

Shidoshi0153

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it is time for martial artists to evolve in their thinking. I read so many debates about different styles, the purpose of martial art training, the authenticity of certain ryu-ha, etc. Personally, I am surprised a lot of this still goes on.

These are exciting times in the ma. We still have our very traditional ryu-has, we have RBSD, mma and many that have created their own systems. I have to say that I see the beauty and creativity in almost every form of martial art out there.

I am surpised, though, that many martial artist insist on immature thinking about these particuliar subjects. We still have people insisting that they have "the way" or the "ultimate style". Isn't it clear that no such magical martial art or system exists? The bottom line is that reality is complicated as are human beings. This is why we have so many different options in ma training. What is great for some may not be so great for others.

People get involved in ma for many different reasons. When will we recognize each is just as legitimate as the other? Some people love kata for it peace and serenity. It can bring peace to a chaotic day. Others love the workouts, the chance to delve into a different culture, those who want to train without breaking a sweat while others want to test themselves in a cage. Martial arts is a personal journey, and it is high time we recognize it as such.

Some what to bash others because they don't train hard enough, because there system is not "authentic" or because they attend a mcdojo. Why is this? Who cares what others are doing? If they are finding what they are looking for, then the mutual interest in ma as a whole should be respected and encouraged.

I call this taking ownership of one's own training. If you are the type that likes to traing under an instructor their entire training career; great!! But respect must also be given to those who want to venture outside the norm and explore other avenues themselves. This is also a noble venture.

The bottom line is I am surprised our thinking hasn't evolved into more tolerance of other people's systems, philosophies, training methods etc. instead of expecting other's to conform to our own ideas of what training should or should not be.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The bottom line is I am surprised our thinking hasn't evolved into more tolerance of other people's systems, philosophies, training methods etc. instead of expecting other's to conform to our own ideas of what training should or should not be.

In my opinion you got this backwards.

People thinking has devolved into this it never use to be this way back in the Stone Age when I started training.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion you got this backwards.

People thinking has devolved into this it never use to be this way back in the Stone Age when I started training.

I think that this is kind of right. I remember when I was a teenager and my friends and I would discuss MAs any derogatory comments about particular style were always in jest. We could see the merits of different styles. We didn't encounter the, at times, vicious sniping that seems to go on nowadays.

There is no doubt that Shidoshi has the right line of thinking in that the sniping really needs to stop, but I don't think it will any time soon.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Respect for other martial arts and artists is great but those arts and people in them must have earned that respect not get it because they exist or have a fancy title.
I respect that many practice MMA, judo, Kendo, etc. and i see good training in these arts but I do not have to like what is taught or agree with it. I also do not have to respect anyone who is in them until that person has proven themselves to be a good person, a person of knowledge and/or ability, etc.
Years ago the people in the arts where respected because of their ability and knowledge not because of what was around their waist or embroidered on their uniform. The arts that where around then had proven themselves by producing knowledgeable people who could back up their knowledge with action and or teaching ability

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it is time for martial artists to evolve in their thinking. I read so many debates about different styles, the purpose of martial art training, the authenticity of certain ryu-ha, etc. Personally, I am surprised a lot of this still goes on.

As some of us get peace from our training, others prefer struggle. They bring that struggle to discussions. These are the same people that scoff at other's ways of eating, dressing and living. It is the way of some people to gain strength by judgement.

There are also others who genuinely want to debate the topic, but come across rather gruffy. There are a blue ton of people like that on the Internet on every topic, not just MA.

Nonetheless, I understand. And agree. Isn't it time we just all got along?

We still have people insisting that they have "the way" or the "ultimate style". Isn't it clear that no such magical martial art or system exists?

It is worth the debate. The problem is that when a person studies art X and a well versed practicioner takes what they learned and makes art X' out of it, then instead of a reasoned debate, you get an answer of 'FRAUD'. That is a patently ridiculous response, but isn't it just like everything else we hear out there?

All you can do is study what works for you, make it your own, and participate in reasoned debate with reasoned people. Just ignore everything else. Life is just too short.

S