first move in a REAL fight

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like hooking someone with their guard up by the wrists and pulling their face down into my forehead. It's one of the moves from one of my belts but I don't know which one or what it's called. I've used it on guys I work with when they are screwing around and it's caught them by surprise. Another one for the simple minded is to just fake a hard jab to the gut and if they drop their hand hit them with a cross. That's what my Dad says worked best for him when he was younger man. Every instant is different and I think I'd prefer to work off a attack then attack someone who's waiting on me to, so unless he just killed my Mother I'm walking away.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea. Something will happen but I can't tell you what. Predetermining how you're going to respond to an attack will just get you hurt, 'cuz that probably isn't what's going to happen.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ronin Moose said:
Take out the ALPHA male first!

Another fighting myth. No disrespect intended, but taking out the biggest guy does not guarantee that his three friends won't jump you; or that they won't jump you wile your busy trying to take out the baddest guy.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
I like hooking someone with their guard up by the wrists and pulling their face down into my forehead. It's one of the moves from one of my belts but I don't know which one or what it's called. I've used it on guys I work with when they are screwing around and it's caught them by surprise. Another one for the simple minded is to just fake a hard jab to the gut and if they drop their hand hit them with a cross. That's what my Dad says worked best for him when he was younger man. Every instant is different and I think I'd prefer to work off a attack then attack someone who's waiting on me to, so unless he just killed my Mother I'm walking away.

on a similar note, fake a knee to the groin then a cross or uppercut to the head as the attacker bends forward (naturally)

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
on a similar note, fake a knee to the groin then a cross or uppercut to the head as the attacker bends forward (naturally)

This really depends on experience. If you try to knee me--mostly because we knee lot--my reaction will be much different than some, random person. Tricks like this really only work on people who don't fight. Likewise, faking a punch to my gut is not going to get me to drop my guard. You can punch me and kick me in the stomach all day long, as far as I'm concerned; but I won't be dropping my guard. Also, grabbing someone's hands is not advisable, from my perspective, for a few reasons:
  • Both of your hands are occupied
  • You have given up your guard
  • You leave yourself open for knees
  • You put yourself right in clinch range; which is where I, myself, would want you to be
Tricks and one-hit-knock-outs do happen, I've seen them happen. That said, the fact that, in all the people I've fought (sparring or otherwise) not once has it happened to me, nor have I done it to someone else. And since my knees and elbows are such that I manage to fold some pretty heavy banana bags, put some pretty decent fighters on the ground, and I still haven't done the one-hit-knock-out, leads me to believe that, when it does happen, it's due more to chance than anything else. Chance is nice, but certainly not anything I chose to train myself to rely on.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The possibilities are endless as to what we could do first. It's all going to depend on the situation presented to us at the current time.

I would think though, going off of the original post, that having your hands up, in a non-threatening manner would be a good place to start. You're not standing there, fists clenched, giving the impression you want to fight, but instead coming off less confrontational, but at the same time, still providing yourself with a defense, as well as a possible pre emptive strike on your part.

Mike

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually I've found that it's not the alpha male but the bigmouth. For some reason when there's someone really really shooting their annoying mouth off, people either don't mind that you slapped them out, or are in shock that you had the guts. Of course, nothing is ever a certainty, just a likely bet.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you wanna take this from the original example and the guy stood up, took a stance and wanted to "fight"

My first move in the fight would be to hit him with a chair or somthing. If he's DUMB enoough to square up and wait for the fight, I dont wanna fight him... he expects too much.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What if he's thai warrior Ting though? You might have to come at him with a severed electrical wire.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
If you wanna take this from the original example and the guy stood up, took a stance and wanted to "fight"

My first move in the fight would be to hit him with a chair or somthing. If he's DUMB enoough to square up and wait for the fight, I dont wanna fight him... he expects too much.

Pfft, ninjas. ;) That's why you guys always win.

splazzatch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I am in a situation where I may need to defend myself I will put my hands up but rub them like they are cold. It gets them up in a non-confrontational manor and puts them where I can use them.

However, in response to the first moves it is difficult to say because every situation is different.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
splazzatch said:
When I am in a situation where I may need to defend myself I will put my hands up but rub them like they are cold. It gets them up in a non-confrontational manor and puts them where I can use them.

peter constardine teaches similar, from arms crossed or the salute position

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, grabbing someone's hands is not advisable, from my perspective, for a few reasons:

I agree. One thing we learn in our self-defense is that when you grab someone like that, you've given away your weapon, or conversely, when you are grabbed, you still have full range of motion but your opponent is tied to what you do. It's pretty easy to break free from wrist/hand grabs if the person just grabs you. I wouldn't grab someone for control unless it was part of a larger move of SJM to keep them fom moving their arm or to get them down

I also agree about putting your hands into a 'non-conrontational' pose so that you are in a good position to move but you look like your trying to avoid a fight, which could help with witnesses and legal issues if need be.

Actually, I shouldn't say 'look like you are trying to avoid a fight'. The best first move in a fight is not to have one and if your non-confrontational posture actually works to diffuse the situation, so much the better. Just helps if your pose happens to be one from which you can move and react, anyway

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
thaiboxer said:
What would be the first move you would try to perform if confronted in a real fight? (lets just say the opponent is standing, almost front on, with his arms slightly raised to his chest and clinched for arguments sake), what would be your first killer move?

Do mean all he has done is raised his arms and clinched his fist? What were you doing in the first place to have gotten to the point of this?

Such a question raised causes me to to ask where are you and what are you doing? There are more serious questions to answered first. How much room do you have, what is behind you, what is behind him, what about to each side? Are other people there? Are weapons involved, or what is available to each to be utilized as a weapon? What kind of clothing are you wearing, what is he wearing? There is far more to understanding the situation for a confrontation than just he is standing in front of you with his arms slightly raised. Are you in a fight mode or a self-defense mode? Are you alone not having to protect other's or do you have a date, wife, children, or a friend who doesn't have the abilities you have? Are you protecting your home within the confines of your home or are you around the town?

He hasn't done anything but raised his arms slighly and postured yet you want to know what killer move would be used. If you or I used a killer move at this point we would be the aggressor and the killer. That killer move would place us in a situation of being arrested for man-slaughter.

My "killer" move would most likely to move back slightly at an angle (if possible) and slowly raise my open hands in a very non-confrontally way stating something like "Sir, you don't want to waste your time and effort with the likes of me."

Danny

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Block and move, move and block. Anything to give yourself the distance you need to avoid getting hurt. You need to assess the situation, which I hope you have already done. If you are looking for "killer moves", as you called them, what about a good ole' head butt. It smarts pretty good and it might knock some sense into both of you.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
How did you get there?

If this is just a misunderstanding, then you want to diffuse the situation and even if you can't, you don't want your first move to be aggressive (you always want witnesses on your side; to say that you acted in defense, not attack). You're going to use moves to stop the guy from attacking, not to hurt him (and arm bar on the floor versus a sidekick to the knee)

If this is a criminal attacking you to hurt you to rob you or worse, then your response is much different, much more aggresive and final.

Hard to really say what a first move should be unless you know why you got there (and the physical environment, as already mentioned)

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think if it was inevitable i would probably either wait for him to move in some way towards me then elbow him as hard as i could in the face or maybe just knee him as hard as i could in the nuts. When i'm in class both of those things come naturally ( sometimes the knee to nuts has come abit more naturally than it should've as some of my classmates can testify!).
Then maybe followed up with a couple more hits to keep him/put him down, then leg it.
Hopefully that'd work but who knows? Every goon is different.