Blocks or Parries

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our sniping policy http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=427486. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Moderator-

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
grrr - the truely wise man knows that he knows nothing, right?

Wrap your mind around this - I swear by parries. I parry all the time in the ring. MMA'ists also parry all the time. Every time you intercept a jab or cross with your glove and move it off it's intended target, you are parrying. I repeat - I do it ALL THE TIME. I won a national championship free sparing gold medal with parries. I think that parries are as effective and sometimes easier to use than blocks. JMHO.

I see the strikers in the UFC intercept punches and redirect them to the side with their hands all the time - that's a parry.

In self defense training I utilize what many would call double blocks (using both arms to intercept a strike) but the rear hand (first to make contact) is actually a parry because you need to get that hand back into a defensive position to protect yourself.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I consider a block to be interecepting the strike with a strike. My forearm impacting his forearm to cause damage, not just to keep the punch from hitting me. A parry to me is open handed and designed to deflect the punch enough to keep it from hitting my head. That is the goal after all, isn't it?

Which one you use depends on the situation and the application. They both have their uses. Just because parries aren't used in the ring doesn't mean they aren't effective.

whitetiger2001

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A very interesting discussion but I find that blocks and parrys do have a purpose. I tend to soft block(parry) so that the momentum is still coming in while the strike is turned aside. This does one important thing, their momentum coming in meets mine going out, double the impact.
Use the parry as a weapon rather than a straight block, use it to turn the attacker slightly and set youself up. A good example of this, is a turning parry for a front kick. The blocking hand circles down and up to come across the throat which is exposed because the attacker is turned sideways.
If one blacks and then strikes, the chances are greater of getting hit, if one uses the block to strike or strikes with the block, the results are more favorable.
Bottom line here, no block or parry is suited for all purposes any more than a strike or kick but they all serve one otherwise we wouldn't learn them. I doubt that they were added for fluff.

Reaction score
Refer to the hierarchy of defense - first to last; interception, destruction, cover, block. A parry (seen in destructions) is a hell of a lot higher than a block and i will rely on it a thousand times more.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Step forward as you parry. Then your parry smashes into his face. And I use them all the time with great effect. The trick (by the way) is to do a Wing Chun-style punch with the knuckles verticle (as apposed to the boxers punch which has the knuckles horizontal) and keep your elbow bent slightly so that the arm just kind of slides off yours. An alternent version is to do it with the boxing punch, but lean away at an angle. This is more for low stikes.
Nextly, after you throw a parry, you need grab onto something. If its the straight in version, grab the back of his head and pull him down so you can smash his face with a knee. If its the lean away, grabb his arm and pull him into a kick in the ribs.
And quick question, this is a forum. You are supposed to ask questions or give advice. You did neither, so why did you post this? All you did was insult a tactic and several of the respected members of this site. Why? What was the point?

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Senin, you said, “And a lot of it is about reaction time.”

Actually, reaction time is about a quarter of a second form input to action for most people.
So I would say that “it” is much more about awareness and preparedness.

You said, “…then your brain has to tell ya…” a couple of times.

Nope. If you have to think about it, you’re too late.
To be aware of danger is a two fold process.
First, one has to “see” the danger; as in visually perceive the movement, the distances involved, etc.
Second, one has to recognize the movement one “sees”, as dangerous.
(And tied in with this is still a third component; the ability to respond effectively without thought.)

You posted, “Some of you guys (dojo martial artists) are telling me parrying is a vialble option. Get real.”
Then you go on to expound on a bunch of panicky responses.

With all due respect:
I get the overall feeling from your posts that you think blocks and / or parries are some sort of mild, half hearted attempt to keep a scary attacker at arms length.

That isn’t how I was taught to practice (or use) a passive draw. A passive draw is exactly what it says. My opponent attacks what he thinks is an opening. I take that opening away by hitting his limb. (This has been said by others on this thread too.)

I practice to move my arms through various positions. From these positions I can attack my opponents head, torso and /or limbs. The last of these being known as blocks and / or parries, and there isn’t anything mild or weak about my passive draw tactics.

You posted, “I wish I find you guys in my next fight.”

Are you aware that such a statement can go to motive in a court of law? Are you aware that if you aren’t of legal age now; such statements can come back to haunt you when you do become of legal age? And lastly, what would those people whose respect you have earned think of such a lawless tact?

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I studied Qinna here in China my instructor and I eventually made our way up to full speed without telegraphing our attacks. Don't tell me that those endless amounts of parries that we practised and the locks that followed were completely useless.

Qinna aside, one of my favourite techniques is an inner parry, followed by an elbow strike with the same arm (And perhaps followed by a lock or another reverse elbow). Works like a charm. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I studied Qinna here in China my instructor and I eventually made our way up to full speed without telegraphing our attacks. Don't tell me that those endless amounts of parries that we practised and the locks that followed were completely useless.

Qinna aside, one of my favourite techniques is an inner parry, followed by an elbow strike with the same arm (And perhaps followed by a lock or another reverse elbow). Works like a charm. ;)
I've spoken before a few pages back, but I think parrying with the intention of parrying is a tad dangerous, but parry should just happen naturaly given any angle change of your direct strikes and blocks; so, your parry empay(elbow) is just fine, as long as it was a practiced second choice to simply negating the attack.
Sean

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A teacher recently taught me that those thing I used consider blocks, aren't blocks, they are parries. You know, front punch, your arm moves and knocks his punch to the outside (or inside)-- that is a parry. A block is when he punches and your forearms are there to catch the blow-- it may hurt him more than it hurts you.

The teacher also stated, parries are almost useless. Who the hell is fast enough to parry? You don't see boxers parry. You don't even see MMA;s parry.

Then again, those school who teach parries, teach losing. It's too damn defensive for a real fight. What happens after the successful (rare) parry? You throw a punch to his unsuspecting face? Nah, he is already coming in again. And again. And again.

I apologise for having not read all of the posts but i believe the discussion on the parry is that you don't continually parry waiting for your oportunity. It is a move used to upset your oponents timing and counter.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
A teacher recently taught me that those thing I used consider blocks, aren't blocks, they are parries. You know, front punch, your arm moves and knocks his punch to the outside (or inside)-- that is a parry. A block is when he punches and your forearms are there to catch the blow-- it may hurt him more than it hurts you.

The teacher also stated, parries are almost useless. Who the hell is fast enough to parry? You don't see boxers parry. You don't even see MMA;s parry.

Then again, those school who teach parries, teach losing. It's too damn defensive for a real fight. What happens after the successful (rare) parry? You throw a punch to his unsuspecting face? Nah, he is already coming in again. And again. And again.

1st part-I have heard that explanation as well. For me though, parries are open handed soft "slaps" at oncoming punches say. Blocks are hard movements such as the 8 pt. and star block systems in Kem/npo.

2nd part- Parries are not useless. They are exactly what you use for fast punchers because hard blocks are too slow. Boxers do parry all of the time, usually with the rear hand. MMA'ers do it as well especailly at punches that flick out at you.

3rd part- Huh???? I think you need more fighting experience. As for dissing others, totally uncalled for. Each has a way. None are superior to any others.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
From experience I value the usefulness of a parry over a block. But blocking and parries goes hand in hand. However a parry grants me much more opportunities to retaliate. The downfall of the parry is range, you see you have to have enough room in order to redirect the attack. So I'd have to say that it's safest to parry long range attacks. Blocking on the other hand works best when it's too close to parry. The point of the block is to jam up the opponent's strike instead of absorbing it at full force. If you block too early, you're just asking for a beating. Trust me, your forearms cannot absorb too many hard hits before deadening. We are not machines and sometimes we over-estimate our abilities (nothing is worse than the moment you realize your arms won't respond anymore). Most unexperienced fighters turtle up when they're hurt. It's really bad human instinct that training will hopefully iron away.

Anyway Senin,it just sounds like you really need more experience with blocking and parrying. Learning from experience and forming your own conclusions is much more reliable than hearsay. However listen to sage advice with an open mind and don't just tune them out because you disagree with them. Don't fall into a trap thinking that "this technique must not work because so-and-so said so". That mindset will only cripple your potential. I wish you well with your training.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you kempo guys think of this. Not fast enough to parry? I don't think so. In kempo, it only takes a flick of the wrist. How about wing chun where you get hit at the same time as you get parried. Speak loud enough for your limitations and sure enough, they'll be yours.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've spoken before a few pages back, but I think parrying with the intention of parrying is a tad dangerous, but parry should just happen naturaly given any angle change of your direct strikes and blocks; so, your parry empay(elbow) is just fine, as long as it was a practiced second choice to simply negating the attack.
Sean

By parrying I refer to a re-direction of force. First intercept/divert the incoming strike at an angle (Static blocks are just asking for a counter), letting the force slide past you on its own momentum. Second move in to disrupt the enemy's centre of gravity, either with footwork or by grabbing and pulling them off balance. Finally, apply the strike/s and/or lock/s or other submission techniques.

Latest Discussions