First dan taekwondo test.... at long last!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The time has finally come for me to, 34 years after I first was introduced to taekwondo, finally test for first dan. Between then and now, I have achieved a first and second dan in kumdo (testing for third next mont), been involved in sport fencing, and even gotten to dan bo twice in taekwondo, but never tested for first dan in TKD.

It is something that has nagged at me for quite a while, an early goal long left undone and pushed aside for other more pressing matters. This Thursday, I will finally take that test, ending one part of my martial arts journey and beginning the next part.

I've been a kendo/kumdo instructor for over a year now, but my long term goal is to instruct taekwondo. Most of my background is in traditional TKD; the place I trained at in the eighties still had us training on sprung hardwood, rolls and all. Where I train now is half way between the traditional and sport; a traditional base and SD with WTF sparring, which I have really enjoyed.

I feel pretty confident, but I know that it is going to be a nice big challenge.

Daniel

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Coolness. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great! When you're done I expect a full accounting of what happened :)

Peace,
Erik

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your test!

As an instructor, you probably have an interesting viewpoint of your (TKD) instructor's teaching style and how it compares with your own.

What do you have to do for your test? When will you get the results?

Miles

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations, I know how it feels to achive such a goal, afther 18 years I'm going to achieve my second degree black belt on december (or I hope at last jejejeje). Ones' never too old to acomplish goals, yes I'm not as flexible, quick or strong as on my youth but sure I'm a proud man who's still in the MA vagon.

Manny

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd wish you luck - but I don't think you need it. Get out there and show them that you are already a black belt - and then come back and tell us how well it went!

Latest Discussions