First dan taekwondo test.... at long last!

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My thanks to all of you, again!

Tonight's the night, so by this time tomorrow, I'll be either in a black belt or sore in bed (or both:)). Unfortunately, I am going directly from work, so I've brought food and such to make sure I'm fueled up, but I really hate going to class straight from work, especially for a test. But hey, that is in itself a part of the test for me.:)

I'll give you all the rundown tomorrow.

Daniel

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And I'm back at work this morning. Since I have about a half hour before I start, here's the rundown.

I left straight from work and got to the dojang at about six. I've been fighting a cold since Tuesday, so jazzed on dayquil, Sudafed, green tea, and Halls Mentho-Lyptus, and having had a sandwich and a salad at five, I arrived ready to face the challenge.

I took about a half an hour to warm up and stretch before the test (getting injured during the test would be so not cool), and at six thirty, I was told to line up. I had to read my essay aloud, which was the easiest part of the test.
smile.gif
Then I was quizzed on Korean language pertaining to taekwondo.

After that, I had to do pyramid exercises (ten jumping jacks, pushups, and situps, then nine, then eight, etc.). Then, ten each of block and punch, and block punch and kick combos in varying stances. Then he had me do five each of all of the kicks. From there, 100 punches, 100 front kicks, and 100 round house kicks. The next fifteen minutes was him calling out combinations of kicks (roundhouse kick, roundhouse kick, axe kick, then roundhouse kick, back kick, back hook kick, etc.). By about this point, I remembered why I had long ago stopped using Sudafed before class: it dehydrates you.

Then I was called upon to do Taegeuks one through eight. I somehow managed to do them all crisply and correctly, probably better than I've ever performed them, which worked out well, given I was testing.
tongue.gif
After that, one stap sparring.

Once all of the technique and forms were done, I had to do breaking. First was two, one inch boards together that I had to break with a knife hand. Then I had to do jump-axe kick, jump roundhouse kick, jump side kick, turning roundhouse kick, and back hook kick breaks.
Lastly, sparring: Three high belt and one blackbelt student, each for two three minute rounds, WTF style sparring. Pretty much played defense, taking shots here and there when I could.

After the test was done, I got to have some water and a power bar while he graded the test. Fifteen minutes later, I was told that I had passed. Now all the paperwork and my testing fee (I'm broke for a week between that and car insurrance) goes to the Kukkiwon. I was presented with a black belt and a black Dynamics uniform.

Thus a long cherished goal is achieved, long overdue, but as they say, better late than never.
biggrin.gif

Many thanks to all of you for your encouragment and kind words!!

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to you! Your testing sounds like it was pretty in-depth. How long did the testing last? Sounds like it could have taken hours!

Well done, sir.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations to you! Your testing sounds like it was pretty in-depth. How long did the testing last? Sounds like it could have taken hours!

Well done, sir.
Thank you! A little over two, believe it or not. Good thing too; the ceiling fans were not working and it was very humid!

Daniel

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
May I offer my congratulations to you on this achievement. It sounds like a good comprehensive test of your knowledge and abilities. Once again congratulations on passing

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you Shadow and Iceman!! Much appreciated.

It is a great feeling to have achieved this, though my wallet took more of a beating from this than I did:p

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thats the way it happens sometimes LOL

been there done that but it is worth it