Taekwondo Black Belt Dan Test

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm finally going for my 3rd Kukkiwon black belt and part of my test next month is to write a dissertation on taekwondo and to create my own poomse. I've been working on the TKD paper for days now and I'm getting there. I was a poly sci major in college so I think I'm pretty good at writing long *** papers, but my problem is the poomse. I think I should work on creating a street wise L.A. style, based form. Like if you're attacked in the street how would you react. But here in Southern Cali if you're attacked in the street someone usually has a gun on you.

Anyway, my fellow TKD practitioners and fighters here on Martial Talk what do you think, any ideas or hints on my poomse?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the Poomsae issue, I would keep it to the aspect of Sd principles and make the movement more in a counter clockwise position with deflection instead of actual blocks. Along with movements to avoid the punches and kick while countering with a very simple way of hitting and getting rid of the attacker.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Terry here. Make it more about counter motion and reaction with quick simple yet disabling strikes. Good luck!

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so I don't agree with Terry or Jai. Dude, you are TKD. You know what the Tae Guks are and probably what the BB forms are sooooooooooo, think about it. TKD is kicks, jump, spin, pivot yada yada yada. If I was the one testing you the last thing I would want is some Karate or Kung Fu street style form with low kicks and multiple hand techniques. I would want kicks and lots of them to show me what you got. But, of course, that is just my opinion. So, go with what you think is right, no matter what I or any ones says. But do let us know how it turns out, OK? Good luck.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wade I remember reading that he did the Ckon-Ji set of poomsae, that is why I said what I said.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm finally going for my 3rd Kukkiwon black belt and part of my test next month is to write a dissertation on taekwondo and to create my own poomse. I've been working on the TKD paper for days now and I'm getting there. I was a poly sci major in college so I think I'm pretty good at writing long *** papers, but my problem is the poomse. I think I should work on creating a street wise L.A. style, based form. Like if you're attacked in the street how would you react. But here in Southern Cali if you're attacked in the street someone usually has a gun on you.

Anyway, my fellow TKD practitioners and fighters here on Martial Talk what do you think, any ideas or hints on my poomse?

Well, first, is this an individual form, or are there other people involved? Here's what I mean: when our students test for I Dan, they create a 1-on-1 self-defense routine (hol-sin-sul) using kicks, hand strikes, grabs, throws, controls, etc., that lasts about 2 minutes; for II Dan, same thing, but against 2 opponents, for III Dan against 3 opponents, and for IV Dan, against 4 opponents (starting at V Dan the requirements change to other things). Also, are there any other criteria beyond "creating a poomse"?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with makeing a poosme based on street application. Remember that oponets will be comeing at you from different angles so perhaps your kicks should be multiple ( front, and side, etc,) working high and low with angular movement not just forward, back, side to side.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
What may have thrown Wade off is calling it poomse, which is generally not the term used by those who practice the Chang Hon (Chun-Ji) Tuls. As far as what to show Cali, well, I would try to make it something personal. Show what you do well, maybe let it be a little flashy, but still keep it pretty useful (SD oreinted). Like I said though, make it personal, whatever that is for you. Good luck. I too have some writing to do as well as a form to create in the next couple of months.

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the help you practitioners here. And, yeah, for the most part that was my thought anyway, keep it streetwise since 2 + will be coming at me. Defend and then strike offensively when I can in order to enable me to escape. None of that Bruce Lee, Jet Li Hollywood/Hong Kong movie stuff. In my mind keep it short and simple with the techs that I've learned over the years I've been training in this martial art. Nothing grand like the Kukkiwon BB poomse. I'll just try and do what I think I'm capable of doing in real life... :idunno:

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
congratulations on testing for 3rd Dan! I test in June for my 3rd (ITF this year then WTF next).

As far as the poomse... TKD is about kicking and punching, the way of the hand and foot. Stick to the kicks. I would go with a multi attacker scenario using a combo of block/ strike/ strike or block/ strike/ kick.

i'd say "good luck" but its more then luck that got you this far ... so keep it up!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have any advice that is different/better than what my collegues have said. I want to encourage you & let you know that I'm in your corner, Cali!

KEritano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just an idea ... Since you are testing for III Dan, make every kick in your form a triple kick. Three of the same or three different kicks, all done with the same leg each time.

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cali,
Remember the basics. Get a good night of sleep the night before the test. Do what you are good at. By now you know your strengths and weaknesses. Emphasize the positive. Good luck and congratulations. Let us know how you do.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks all of you for the advice and encouragement. My 3rd dan test happened this past Saturday, I think I did well for the most part. The self-defense techs, hand and combo techs, one steps, staff forms, nunchucks and sparring went ok I think. And the breaking/kyuk pah was good. I know I only screwed up one of the poomse, palgwe oh jang. I had a lot on my mind, but I did fine on the rest of the standard WTF/Kukkiwon associated forms like the palgwes, taegueks and black forms Koryo, Kumgang and Taebek. The 100s of push ups were killer though, I lost track of the total amount we had to do.

It's been a really stressful and rough past few months trying to prep for this test. I lost my younger sister who had been really sick at the end of last month the same day I was laid off of my job. My sister left young kids and her husband. So that's why I haven't posted here in weeks. I was just going to blow off this test, and put it aside, but I know my little sister would have been pissed at me for my quiting on something I have been training so hard on for months. So with a heavy heart I decided to move forward with this test. If anything, it really helped take my mind off of everything because somehow I was able to get focused again even if it was just for a few hours last Saturday afternoon.

Four days later my hands, feet and body are still all bruised, scrapped up and sore. And I thought I was in shape! But it was all worth it, Thanks guys for your help, I appreciate it. :asian:

BTW, Sabumnim has yet to post the names of the BB candidates who advanced but I do feel confident. Maybe the next time I go to our dojang they'll be posted.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cali,

I'm very sorry for the loss of your sister & the lay off. Two awful things in a short time span make it 3 times as tough to take. You're in my prayers.

It sounds like a typical good, hard test. I'm sure you did very well. I can't wait until I hear the results!

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm really sorry for you loss, I can only imagine how tough that must be. I'll keep a good thought for you and my children will as well.

Peace,

Jim

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow!
I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it had to take to go through your test after all of that. You are truly amazing. I am sure your sister is very proud.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say to you the same thing my sahbum said (after giving me every possible way to contact him and his wife, and offering me space in his house if I needed it), when I got divorced shortly before my II Dan test: Life goes on. It's very hard to face a loss such as the one you did - much less losing your job on top of it as well - and go on with the rest of your life. Being able to do so demonstrates your strength of character.

Please accept my condolences on your loss, my hopes that you will find a new job, and my congratulations on your performance at testing. :asian:

Latest Discussions