Motivated by Anger?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I am sitting here on the computer, 2AM, and I can't sleep. I have the urge to punch something, or run like crazy. However, that is not an option, sleeping family and safety wise.

Anybody ever got motivated to work out by anger? I remember one time it carried into the work out (usually it just dropped at the door to the dojang...but it only lasted the first set of combinations, then it had to yield to concentration) or this one kid I actually kinda liked but his attitude in sparring infuriated me I only wanted to kill him once the pads went on.

Hormones be cursed, they are no real help in situations like that. Oh, it's just a accumulation of trivial matters that has me riled up. Nothing serious. Even more embarrassing, no?

I recall being frustrated a time or two and intentionally heading to the dojo to work my feelings out. Maybe I'm not an angry person, but just changing into my do-gi and tieing on my belt was enough to quell it.

A few times when I was younger, not so much now. I remember when I was in school, one of my classmates was picked over me to go to Germany as an exchange student. I remember thinking "I'm either going to hit the bag or hit her."

If my instructor ever thought I was motivated by anger I got to spar with him most of the night. That sure brought me back to earth in a hurry

Sure it happens to me. Life is stressful, stress sucks. I either take it out on the heavy bag or make a real effort to dial it back when interacting with others in the dojang.

Peace,
Erik

You sound just like me! Even the being up at 2am. I try to leave everything at the door before entering the dojang, but sometimes its hard.
There was a woman who started a few months before me and I had to really hold back with her. We were testing and we were partnered to do self defense technique and she put me in a death grip I could not get out of unless I hurt her. I refused and just stood there like an ****. I felt really embarrassed since it was testing and everyone was there and I looked like a wuss.Another time we sparred and she kicked me right above my knee and it turned many shades of black. Again I had to hold back and not hurt her because I thought I was following the tenets of Taekwondo and that my masters would step in. They never did, but that woman quit last winter so the problem kinda took care of itself. Of course my ego got crushed, but oh well thats life.
Have you thought about going for a run outside? That won't wake up your family and you'll burn some energy.

granfire,

As Dear Abby said, "Don't get even..... get ahead".

Think of ways to improve yourself and forget the ones you are teeded off with.

Get ahead! If you can't sleep, do combination punches or takedowns or one step sparring by yourself. Do footwork skill builders. Slides, lunges, shuffles, etc...

Get ahead, not get even!

Deaf

I used to train when I got angry. But I would often pull a muscle cuz I didn't stretch or slam my foot into the bag wrong & jam something. It took years for me to be controled enough to stop, stretch & use the anger to my benefit during training. It's not easy, but it's worth trying.

I wish you the best.

everyone gets angry

last time i checked, vulcans were not real, so everyone gets angry

we, as martial artists, cant afford to take out our anger on people, so we learn to channel it

hit the bag, do kata super slow, the anger will pass, and you will feel better

Anger clouds the mind, impairs judgment, and slows reaction time. One of the reasons why Buddhist philosophy emphasizes emptying the mind and not allowing oneself to become angry.
Don't get mad, get better.

If I'm angry I generally just go at the heavy bag as hard as I can for as long as I can, by then I'm too tired to stay angry. Taking it out on anyone in the dojo is not an option, you either make mistakes, which makes you frustrated and more angry, or your instructor takes the opportunity to get some training in so you don't hurt any of the other students.

Usually, if I try to work out angry, I'll end up frustrated at something that I'm not doing right, and it never helps the situation. If I work out alone, I tend to kick the heavy-bag wrong somehow, and then I get angrier because my toes hurt.

I also used to try putting in Mortal Kombat on the Sega, but I would somehow manage to get beat on easy everytime, and that would make it worse.

But, at 2am, I have found that working on forms slowly and with concentration seems to let it out.

Anger clouds the mind, impairs judgment, and slows reaction time. One of the reasons why Buddhist philosophy emphasizes emptying the mind and not allowing oneself to become angry.
Don't get mad, get better.

There is another similar wisdom that says, Anger blows out the lamp of the mind.

I use to (and still sometimes) take it out on the heavy bag. I beleive it can be a healthy natural release. After all S*** happens. Like my instructor says, "Even monkeys fall out of trees." controling your anger does takes practice. You should never train "angry" Might hurt yourself....Then depression, then more anger

Last edited:
I have several times gone outside and worked my wavemaster over until I had released the anger. I will also do forms under tension to do the same thing.

There's nothing more I want to do when I get so ticked than to hit something. Unfortunately, I do not have the money nor the space for BOB, a heavy bag or wavemaster.

I don't feel comfortable training with anyone when I'm that mad because I'm scared that I will inadvertently hurt them.

I do find it very cathartic to go for a long walk or run.

dammit, anger will not pass: Since Ike all gas stations are out of fuel. I don't dare to waste any to go to the gym (it's a 45 min drive...) since I don't know when those highway robbers let a refill through. (you gotta love an oil man in the White House...)

Back