Fingertip push ups fact or fiction....

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Mj-hi-yah in my 40+ years in the Arts I've never heard of that and I have been doing finger push-ups for all those years. I do wear glasses now but I think that is because of age not the push-ups.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Terry how many fingers am I holding up?

Ok, I spoke to my brother-in-law who is an optometrist. I should have just called him first! He laughed like you all and said, no he'd never heard of that, but he told me there is a nerve between your thumb and forefinger that if you pinch it, it alleviates your headaches. He said try it next time you get a headache, it's no joke! :)

As for my source, I heard back from him tonight. He got it from a TAi Chi person but had little more knowledge.

Let's see Terry? Ah yes, that's right I'm holding up four fingers!:D Ok after forty years your seeing just fine! I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!

Thanks!

MJ :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I think that person was making a joke about the uses of your fingert tips but I have heard that streatching can bring on alzheimers because the act of stretching releases the same chemicals found in abundance with the alzheimer patients.
Sean
Oh Sean....

If that was true, there would be an over-abundance of martial artists (as well as in other types of activities such as gymnastics, etc.) who have alzheimers. Since there aren't more in this population compared to the rest of society, I think we can rest assured doing push-ups isn't going to threaten our eyes or brain.

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Oh Sean....

If that was true, there would be an over-abundance of martial artists (as well as in other types of activities such as gymnastics, etc.) who have alzheimers. Since there aren't more in this population compared to the rest of society, I think we can rest assured doing push-ups isn't going to threaten our eyes or brain.

- Ceicei
I wasn't catualy agreeing with the assumption. However just as scientists assumed that, because the brain contained some of the same fluids as ejaculate, masterbation caused brain damage, I was relating a new psudo danger of stretching releasing the same chemical as alzheimers. On the otherhand we don't know for certain one way or the other that just the act of living and moving eventualy poisons a brain weakened by age. The dynamics of aging has yet to be discovered :asian:
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Terry how many fingers am I holding up?

Ok, I spoke to my brother-in-law who is an optometrist. I should have just called him first! He laughed like you all and said, no he'd never heard of that, but he told me there is a nerve between your thumb and forefinger that if you pinch it, it alleviates your headaches. He said try it next time you get a headache, it's no joke! :)

As for my source, I heard back from him tonight. He got it from a TAi Chi person but had little more knowledge.

Let's see Terry? Ah yes, that's right I'm holding up four fingers!:D Ok after forty years your seeing just fine! I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!

Thanks!

My-Hi-jah, very funny I know should have fingertip pushups not finger, but I also heard about the point between your finger and thumb to get rid of headaches, never tried it through I just take to advil and hope for the best. God Bless America :erg:

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There was an old story going around years ago that if you trained your fingertips (as in thrusting them into buckets of sand, etc.), it would hurt your eyesight. The claim was that the pounding of the accupuncture points in your fingers would have an adverse effect on your sight. No one ever mentioned which points were supposedly responsible for this, and over the years there has been no empirical evidence to back this up (as far as I can tell). This story probably belongs with the "nosebone through the brain" nonsense.

As for the more humorous posts on this thread, I'll not take a whack at trying to overcome such stiff competition. You would be hard pressed to beat off the throng of experts who might come together and erect a unified press for dominance. That's not anything a hard-headed jerk like me wants to get into. If anyone wants to rise to the challenge, good luck- we're all pulling for you!

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
As for the more humorous posts on this thread, I'll not take a whack at trying to overcome such stiff competition. You would be hard pressed to beat off the throng of experts who might come together and erect a unified press for dominance. That's not anything a hard-headed jerk like me wants to get into. If anyone wants to rise to the challenge, good luck- we're all pulling for you!

A very dextrous post, and following in the same vein would just be sloppy seconds. It fairly throbbed with innuendo and juicy stabs at the funny bone. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but both get held by the same sweaty fist. I rather suspect that when the candlelight fades and the cut and thrust ends, it's backache and a dry mouth that will be the more likely ailments. Blindness is what you get from too much reading dirty magazines by torchlight. :uhyeah:

L

Littledragon

7starmantis said:
Not any kind of expert here, but in all my time as a paramedic, a lab technologist and now in Physical Therapy school, I've never heard anything like that before. Don’t know if that helps, but I don’t really see how it could be true.

I could be very wrong though, I guess....
7sm
No I think you are right actually..

;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
A very dextrous post, and following in the same vein would just be sloppy seconds. It fairly throbbed with innuendo and juicy stabs at the funny bone. The pen may be mightier than the sword, but both get held by the same sweaty fist. I rather suspect that when the candlelight fades and the cut and thrust ends, it's backache and a dry mouth that will be the more likely ailments. Blindness is what you get from too much reading dirty magazines by torchlight. :uhyeah:
All right we get the point. :deadhorse

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
There was an old story going around years ago that if you trained your fingertips (as in thrusting them into buckets of sand, etc.), it would hurt your eyesight. The claim was that the pounding of the accupuncture points in your fingers would have an adverse effect on your sight. No one ever mentioned which points were supposedly responsible for this, and over the years there has been no empirical evidence to back this up (as far as I can tell). This story probably belongs with the "nosebone through the brain" nonsense.
Thanks Randy:angel: ...that's good info I think it's safe to put this one in the "Another Mystery Solved File!":flushed:

Phew...now I'm glad that's cleared up, but that thing about the nose bone is true right? ;) :lol:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rather than destroy the heavy handed direction of this thread, i will post a new thread in the health tips forum for y'all to masticate on a bit. this thread can continue to pay tribute to rosy palmer and blind lemon jefferson...

pete

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
Rather than destroy the heavy handed direction of this thread, i will post a new thread in the health tips forum for y'all to masticate on a bit. this thread can continue to pay tribute to rosy palmer and blind lemon jefferson...

pete
Hey Pete,

Nice to hear from you on this. I read your post and it's very interesting. So, ok rather than use the old plunger, for all interested parties - race ya to the health forum! Ready? GO....:CTF:
MJ :asian:

soriig

White Belt
Reaction score
I've recently started working on fingertip push ups. The main benefit that many have told me is that doing these conditions the bones that run along your hands between the fingers and wrists, which aids in being able to punch with a closed fist and limiting damage to your hand. Has anyone heard of this before, I am thinking of asking some ortho surgeons about this. I have talked to them about the guys that condition bones to make them harder to be able to break insane amounts of bricks and ice, the doctors agree that the training methods make the bones harder, but they also say if your not careful it can cause problems.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Funny how an "old wives tale" / or rumors...can create such a stir!

Anytime you "condition any part of your body" ....there will always be an affect later...

ASK? ..any boxer who had been hit head many time?

or those who do condition there knuckles ...as they age in the 60's...artiritis?

The best thing you can do? ....learn to do a reasonable amount and listen to your "BODY" ...over doing it? ....will create future problems.

Finger tip push-ups? .....stronger "tiger claws" ...also cannot have longer fingernail....the down side?

Aloha

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've recently started working on fingertip push ups. The main benefit that many have told me is that doing these conditions the bones that run along your hands between the fingers and wrists, which aids in being able to punch with a closed fist and limiting damage to your hand. Has anyone heard of this before, I am thinking of asking some ortho surgeons about this. I have talked to them about the guys that condition bones to make them harder to be able to break insane amounts of bricks and ice, the doctors agree that the training methods make the bones harder, but they also say if your not careful it can cause problems.

In general, every time you "micro-fracture" your bones - that is, every time they flex you get little tiny stress cracks in them, they heal stronger than before. However, the joints that hold said bones together deteriorate over time. So it's a trade-off. If you stress your bones, you also stress the ligaments, tendons, and cartilage in the joints. Your bones get stronger, but the joints get more "brittle."

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone else touched on it wasn't the "nerves" in your fingertips that would make you go blind, it was in conjunction with iron palm training specifically the "tiger claw" that you would strike your fingertips into the surface that would damage pressure points along a meridian that went to your eyes.

As far as fingertip pushups/makiwara training, there is no medical evidence that when done CORRECTLY, will lead to arthritis.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing fingertip push-ups for about 50 years now...and I still hit the striking post several hundred times a day. I've never had any problems with my hands - if you train correctly, you'll be fine.

Those who suffer from arthritis and other ailments either trained incorrectly, or inherited the problem.

Latest Discussions