Push-ups-punishment or exercise? both?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was brought up doing pushups as excersizes and a bit of dissipline. We do knuckle push-ups, and in the 80's we would do them in the parking lot. Later, I was in a Drum and Bugle Corp and we would do them as a treat when we would do a good set. I got so sick of thoes...........someone would say; "hey, great job! Let's do push-ups"! It was all I could do not to give out a free TKD lesson, right there and then.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both. They are done during the warmups. If someone comes to class late, I usually had them do a few more than what I had the class do. As far as punishment, there were times when I'd have the problem person do some, and then there were times when I'd have the problem person stand there while the rest of the class did them! Kind of got the point across a bit more, considering the entire class suffered due to one persons fooling around.

Mike

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
The angle of approach shows a keen interest in making sure the technique is done properly. The face-first descent allows for an intimate examination of the environment while ensuring the remainder of the body touches at all the right places.

Thanks to all who posted their dojang's practices.

I agree Navarre. As a youngster, I skinned my nose several times due to the "face first" approach. That will wake one up!

Miles

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
We do it as part of the workout, usually after class. We also do it as punishment... even us adult, we play games during classes, , and whoever loses, will do like 5 pushups, or something like that, i don't mind it.

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alright...I admit it...I LOATHE PUSH-UPS...I happen to posses the skill for attaining many in a class period...as a form of punishment...don't ask me about this skill but I sure have it! But, I do see the positive side for doing so said push-ups.

We are taught to perform push-ups on our knuckles. This technique is not so bad. It teaches you to strengthen your wrists by getting your radius bone in like with the pointer and middle finger knuckles...a good solid punch. If you punch in this position you are less likely to injure your wrist. It also makes your knuckles stronger so that when you do punch something, it doesn't hurt nearly as much. So as much as I hate to do them, I will continue to do them. Booooooo.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do knucke pushups by default. I injured my handawhile back and the normal hand position for pushups was painful in my hand/wrist, but I could do knucle pushups. So I switched to doing knuclke pushups all the time and stilldo them like that even thought my hand is fne now. It has the added benefit of strengtheing my wrist and making me focus my alignment on my first two knuckles. Also if done right it's a harder workout because since I'm elevated a bit, I have to dip deeper into my shoulders before I reach the bottom point and this requires/develops more strength to push up from that deeper point

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also injured my hand/wrist awhile back. Long while back, in my teens, we won't count the years. But since all the bones in my wrist were broken, they never went back together quite right. Before TKD, I wasn't able to shovel snow for sure long, and well, didn't iron. Then we had monkey run, couldn't put my hand down, so I did it on my knuckles. Eventually it went flat mostly on the floor with a lot of monkey runs and pushups. I still have a hard time in yoga class when she says don't cup your hand as I still feel pain in it. But knuckle pushups no problem now. I know what you mean FF about the deeper shoulder position it requires to get the chin on the floor then back up. Harder then those though are pushups with hands flat on the floor, elbows in, arms to the side, plank style (holding then up in cobra) pushups in yoga, two hours of it intermittently. TW

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ron. Then we had monkey run, couldn't put my hand down, so I did it on my knuckles. Eventually it went flat mostly on the floor with a lot of monkey runs and pushups. TW

I know this thread is kinda old, but I was curious... what is a monkey run??

dsuh86

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe one of the main reasons why kids/adults hate pushups so much is because they don't know how to do it. Proper technique in a pushup is a must. If a student doesn't know how to do a proper pushup, it should not be punishment. Instead I'd just have them run laps, squat thrusts, jumping jacks, ect.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do push-ups for both punishment & exercise. If a student is late to class, they do push-ups for 2 reasons. 1) So it reminds them to be on time. 2) As a bit of a warm before they start stretching.

When I did my video pretest for 3rd Dan last month, I kept messing up a form. In front of the instructor from a sister school & his students, I gave myself push-ups! I didn't screw it up again.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was a blue belt, my son and daughter also attended TKD classes. My master at the time was more of a traditionalist but usually just a mere glance in the direction of any student, made them "tow the line". Sometimes, however, my son and another student, would get caught talking by our master, and they would spend the rest of the class in opposite corners of the dojang on their knuckles. No push-ups, just the knuckle push up position. This only happened twice, and they learned their lessons, no worse for wear.

dsuh86

White Belt
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was a blue belt, my son and daughter also attended TKD classes. My master at the time was more of a traditionalist but usually just a mere glance in the direction of any student, made them "tow the line". Sometimes, however, my son and another student, would get caught talking by our master, and they would spend the rest of the class in opposite corners of the dojang on their knuckles. No push-ups, just the knuckle push up position. This only happened twice, and they learned their lessons, no worse for wear.

yep. that punishment works great. If they get out of position, yell or hit them. I remember once when my old master had the whole team in pushup position for 10 minutes. I couldn't move my arms after that.

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
Hindu/Korean, triangle, slow etc. are good for exercise.
But for disciplinary reasons or pushisment pushup position is what we use.

allpet

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you really get on my nerve I don't use push ups to punish them. I make them run some/alot of laps.

Everybody can run. If they run slow it will take more time before they get back to the training. If they run fast the get back to training sooner but they are more tired.

It's their choice if they want to spend the class running or kicking.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We get push-ups as a warm up.

We get push-ups before we get to have a break to get water.

We have push-ups as punishment and then everybody, including the offending parties, do push-ups.

We even have a specified number we have to do in a belt test for advancement.

Gee, now that I think about it, a guy came in to the dojang last week to get water for his radiator. I wonder if they made him do push-ups?

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love push-ups, to be honest even when i get them out of punishment i dont mind, I can do them all night long!

KeeblerElf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where we train, push ups are used for both reasons. Pushups are given at the beginning of class as a warm up, and then we do them again if we don't kiai loud enough (or at all) after one warning. We usually don't forget for the rest of the class. When they are used as punishment, we never do more than five to ten. Just enough to remind us what we should be doing!

Latest Discussions