Punishment in class?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I see pushups as punishment! Rolling with an instructor? Advantage, unless they need to drive a certain point home. But pushups? Torture.
Now you sound like my students when I give them complex push-ups during warm-up.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now you sound like my students when I give them complex push-ups during warm-up.

I think students are universal in their opinion of them. Complex pushups? So diamond ones? Those are pretty harsh.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think students are universal in their opinion of them. Complex pushups? So diamond ones? Those are pretty harsh.
My three favorites:
  • Dive-bomber push-ups. Start in Downward-facing Dog (the yoga pose). Slide in an arc down to the beginning of a push-up. Push up, then raise hips to Down Dog. Repeat.
  • Superman push-ups. Start laying on your stomach, hands stretched out over your head. Do a mini back-bend (reverse crunch), then pull your arms in with resistance until they reach your shoulders. Hands to floor and push up. Repeat.
  • Rockstar push-ups. Start in normal push-up position. Push up, then immediately raise one hand and the opposite foot. Raised foot pivots under your raised body, raised hand goes directly toward ceiling. Return to push-up position. Repeat.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My three favorites:
  • Dive-bomber push-ups. Start in Downward-facing Dog (the yoga pose). Slide in an arc down to the beginning of a push-up. Push up, then raise hips to Down Dog. Repeat.
  • Superman push-ups. Start laying on your stomach, hands stretched out over your head. Do a mini back-bend (reverse crunch), then pull your arms in with resistance until they reach your shoulders. Hands to floor and push up. Repeat.
  • Rockstar push-ups. Start in normal push-up position. Push up, then immediately raise one hand and the opposite foot. Raised foot pivots under your raised body, raised hand goes directly toward ceiling. Return to push-up position. Repeat.

Ow. Ow. Ow. No thanks!

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
See? You sound just like them. You just need a bit more whine and groan in there. It makes me smile.

I'm sure there's a whine and groan emoji somewhere... found them! :dead: :hungover:

You sadist... glad you're not my sensei. Then again with the hell I raise it'd probably even out!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My three favorites:

That is just cruel. Hope you don't treat you're OAP's like that :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never really had to punish anyone in class, there wasn't ever any need.

Caught a kid stealing from the locker room once, but that's different.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

That's just wrong. Did he get kicked out?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's just wrong. Did he get kicked out?

It had happened a couple of times in a month. Back then I used to do some work with a bank robbery task force. There was a very fine powder they used to mark bills. It wouldn't stain the bill, but would mix with the natural oil on your hands if you touched the bills. It would stain fingers bright red within a few minutes.

Set a trap, an obvious one, wad of bills peeking out of a pocket of some jeans hanging on a hook in one of the dressing rooms. Trap was sprung. It was a big sparring class that night. About thirty people. Saw the kid looking at his bright stained hands, wondering what the heck was going on. Stopped class, told everyone about the trap. Everyone looked around, saw him. He was young, about fifteen. Left it up to the class to decide his punishment. ( I figured they were going to kick his ***)
They were shocked at who it was, he was very well liked, he loved training. They deliberated and barred him from the dojo for good. We even let him keep the money. (to stain his fingers some more)

I told him to tell his mom what he had done, or I would. I think that was the worst part of his punishment. He did. Talked to him decades later, he turned out pretty good. I think he learned a lesson. Still sad all around, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My instructor had to deal with that once. Made me feel less "at home" at the dojo for a while - didn't like leaving my stuff in the back room.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My three favorites:

God, we loved pushups. We used to do every kind of pushup we had ever seen. These are one handed Zens -

Once you could do a decent amount of two handed Zens, you went to jumping Zens (where the hands and feet blast off the floor) Then one handed Zens, and then one handed jumping Zens, either hand. Took a couple/three years, but most got there. We would do "clap pushups" but you clapped your hands behind your back. When beginners were ready, they started with cushions under their faces.
We used to do what we called "spinners" Where you blasted upwards, like a normal jump pushup, but spun completely around like a spin kick. You started on knuckles but had to land flat handed to avoid wrist injuries.

I learned a lot of those from Billy Blanks. I used to lie on his back (back to back) and hold onto the side of his gi pants. He would do fifty knuckle pushups, perfect form, in thirty seconds. During the course of a days training I would do ten to twenty sets of them with him. As well as our other pushups, of course. I only wieghed 146, but still. But the craziest pushup I've ever seen him do - from the knuckle position on the floor - he would blast up to a standing position without bending his back. Ten years I tried to do that, alas, never got even one. Never even got close.

Complex pushups, in my opinion, develop a better over all strength of body than a standard pushup. And after a few years, you can actually catch a nap doing standard pushups, that's how easy they become.

P.S. edit - there's a little trick to doing Zen pushups, so if anyone has trouble, let me know.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
God, we loved pushups. We used to do every kind of pushup we had ever seen. These are one handed Zens -

Once you could do a decent amount of two handed Zens, you went to jumping Zens (where the hands and feet blast off the floor) Then one handed Zens, and then one handed jumping Zens, either hand. Took a couple/three years, but most got there. We would do "clap pushups" but you clapped your hands behind your back. When beginners were ready, they started with cushions under their faces.
We used to do what we called "spinners" Where you blasted upwards, like a normal jump pushup, but spun completely around like a spin kick. You started on knuckles but had to land flat handed to avoid wrist injuries.

I learned a lot of those from Billy Blanks. I used to lie on his back (back to back) and hold onto the side of his gi pants. He would do fifty knuckle pushups, perfect form, in thirty seconds. During the course of a days training I would do ten to twenty sets of them with him. As well as our other pushups, of course. I only wieghed 146, but still. But the craziest pushup I've ever seen him do - from the knuckle position on the floor - he would blast up to a standing position without bending his back. Ten years I tried to do that, alas, never got even one. Never even got close.

Complex pushups, in my opinion, develop a better over all strength of body than a standard pushup. And after a few years, you can actually catch a nap doing standard pushups, that's how easy they become.

P.S. edit - there's a little trick to doing Zen pushups, so if anyone has trouble, let me know.
My shoulder hurts when I watch that video. Is that a little trouble?

Latest Discussions