Fingertip push ups fact or fiction....

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the students in our school was telling us the other day that doing fingertip push ups can MAKE YOU GO BLIND!!! :xtrmshock He was saying that he heard that it affects a nerve that goes to the eye. I had never heard this before and do those push ups all the time. :uhohh: Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
One of the students in our school was telling us the other day that doing fingertip push ups can MAKE YOU GO BLIND!!! :xtrmshock He was saying that he heard that it affects a nerve that goes to the eye. I had never heard this before and do those push ups all the time. :uhohh: Has anyone else ever heard of this?

My mom told me that it can also make your palms hairy.

Yours,

Stifler

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
My mom told me that it can also make your palms hairy.

Yours,

Stifler
LOL :lol: sure we're talking about the same thing here?

L

Littledragon

mj-hi-yah said:
Is this the joke of the day thread?? LOL

Nope thats not true at all. ;)

Tarek

W

white eagle

I know that you can go blind doing other thingsBut push ups Mmmmmmmmmmmm

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That does it! That just plain tears it! I'm giving up exercise! I've already got glasses, no need to make my eyes worse huh??

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I think that person was making a joke about the uses of your fingert tips but I have heard that streatching can bring on alzheimers because the act of stretching releases the same chemicals found in abundance with the alzheimer patients.
Sean

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I think that person was making a joke about the uses of your fingert tips but I have heard that streatching can bring on alzheimers because the act of stretching releases the same chemicals found in abundance with the alzheimer patients.
Sean
Sean GET OUT! really????? :rolleyes: Not sure what to believe anymore. Because I used to practice yoga :uhoh: , oh well at least I won't be aware of the Alzheimer's! :lol:
Anyway, I'm not kidding with this question, because he is a fairly serious person and was dead serious when he told the class...I'll hopefully see him Tuesday night and ask him where he heard that.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
That does it! That just plain tears it! I'm giving up exercise! I've already got glasses, no need to make my eyes worse huh??
Hee hee he...no not all exercises....just that exercise. Looks like I'll have to try and find a source for ya guys on this...you're all very funny though!:lol:

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that "this guy" was referring to the kind of press-ups that require two people ;)... although traditional theory has always been that it was only certain "solitary" exercises that brought on blindness.

Of course, he could have been using a metaphor... suggesting that too much focus on one exercise can cause "tunnel-vision" and lead a student down a "blind alley". You will let us know what he says, won't you...

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
I'm going to assume that "this guy" was referring to the kind of press-ups that require two people ;)... although traditional theory has always been that it was only certain "solitary" exercises that brought on blindness.

Of course, he could have been using a metaphor... suggesting that too much focus on one exercise can cause "tunnel-vision" and lead a student down a "blind alley". You will let us know what he says, won't you...
I should have foreseen this, but some of you people are so bad :uhyeah: ...here's what I'm going to try to do...I'll send him this link and see if he'd be willing:apv: join this conversation himself...if not :idunno: maybe I should have this thread nuked :shock:

L

Littledragon

mj-hi-yah said:

Just how old was this guy?? :uhohh:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Littledragon said:
Just how old was this guy?? :uhohh:
He's I think 25...and a very good person - he teaches history to Jr High kids. He is responsible and reliable. I just sent off the link to him...so now we wait!:)

L

Littledragon

mj-hi-yah said:
He's I think 25...and a very good person - he teaches history to Jr High kids. He is responsible and reliable. I just sent off the link to him...so now we wait!:)
Hmmm... But really that is not true on what he said lol.

;)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not any kind of expert here, but in all my time as a paramedic, a lab technologist and now in Physical Therapy school, I've never heard anything like that before. Don’t know if that helps, but I don’t really see how it could be true.

I could be very wrong though, I guess....
7sm

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Sean

What are we talking about again?

[goes back to the butterfly stretch]

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Not any kind of expert here, but in all my time as a paramedic, a lab technologist and now in Physical Therapy school, I've never heard anything like that before. Don’t know if that helps, but I don’t really see how it could be true.

I could be very wrong though, I guess....
7sm
That's good to know :) I really like doing that type of push ups your info is constructive. I promise I'll let you all know if it's for real or not.:idunno:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mj-hi-yah in my 40+ years in the Arts I've never heard of that and I have been doing finger push-ups for all those years. I do wear glasses now but I think that is because of age not the push-ups.... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Latest Discussions