Punishment in class?

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend the other day and while swapping stories was reminded of a time in the dojo when some of us were talking while our sensei was giving a demonstration and he made us all do push-ups as punishment.

Anyone on here have any stories, funny or otherwise, of times someone screwed up in the dojo and got punished for it?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a funny story but myself and some of the other older students are going to propose a push-up punishment to our Sifu. We have two gifted teenagers in the class but they will talk and thus not pay attention, pace back and forth and other such things when an Instructor, even a visiting one is talking. They also haven't gotten the "smooth is fast" idea and will drop their sticks (when doing Kali) during solo drills. Since talking to them at least once a class isn't cutting it any more, maybe 20 push-ups increased by 10 for each additional infraction will help them focus. I know it did my 19 year old butt at Fort Knox ;).

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a funny story but myself and some of the other older students are going to propose a push-up punishment to our Sifu. We have two gifted teenagers in the class but they will talk and thus not pay attention, pace back and forth and other such things when an Instructor, even a visiting one is talking. They also haven't gotten the "smooth is fast" idea and will drop their sticks (when doing Kali) during solo drills. Since talking to them at least once a class isn't cutting it any more, maybe 20 push-ups increased by 10 for each additional infraction will help them focus. I know it did my 19 year old butt at Fort Knox ;).

No idea why, but that post reminded of James Bond and Goldfinger.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like a good idea. Us young adults need that kind of thing from time to time, it seems.

I remember I was sparring with one of the coaches once. We're good friends so we talk crap to each other from time to time. Or at least I do and he sinks in a choke or arm bar while laughing.

Well, one time we were rolling in matwork and he "missed" a choke. I say "missed" because of course a black belt like him is going to give me some opportunities I would come across in competitions and want to see how I would use them. So of course instead of taking the opportunity my smart mouth goes and says something like "hey you should've had that, I think you ought to go back to being a brown belt for a while..."

Cue the worst okuri eri jime of my life. (Note: he modified it so he was sitting on me, yanking so hard my gi lapel was giving a kind of rug burn, using his weight to create extra friction. Wasn't abuse though, we were laughing too hard for it to be serious)

Now if only I can keep the smell of cigarettes off my gi so our head sensei won't whoop my butt...

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a specific staff that our sifu uses that is reserved specifically for motivation and discipline.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a specific staff that our sifu uses that is reserved specifically for motivation and discipline.

Recently we now have a "Sgt at Arms" for the class (a 60 odd year old Marine, no exaggeration). The thing is the methods have not been defined so I think the Sgt @ Arms, me and Sifu will have a chat in the near future ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They are not punishments. They are advantages.

Think of all the extra sprawls training you are getting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually i can remember cool one. We had a guy who was monstering some of the less capable and lighter guys. So one of the coaches wrestled him in what consisted of knee rides to neck rides to pretty much everything else. For a five minute round.

Well it would have been a five minute round if one of the other coaches hadn't turned the timer off.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was talking with a friend the other day and while swapping stories was reminded of a time in the dojo when some of us were talking while our sensei was giving a demonstration and he made us all do push-ups as punishment.

Anyone on here have any stories, funny or otherwise, of times someone screwed up in the dojo and got punished for it?

I had a simple policy. When things started to get a little too loud I stood in the center of the room and, in a voice to be reasonably heard, I said Three, Two, and if they let me get to One it was always followed by hundred side kicks for the room.

The NEXT time it came up, you should have seen them telling each other to shut up!

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had a simple policy. When things started to get a little too loud I stood in the center of the room and, in a voice to be reasonably heard, I said Three, Two, and if they let me get to One it was always followed by hundred side kicks for the room.

The NEXT time it came up, you should have seen them telling each other to shut up!

Side kicks? Stupid question but what are those? They sound painful.

Another experience of mine I'm a bit embarrassed to tell because to this day I've no idea who did it but with my luck it was probably me. Someone's bandaid came off and was on the mat and when we lined up to bow off no one fessed up, so one of our senseis made us do these drills where we run in place like football players and jump, roll and do pushups.

Are your side kicks worse than those? If not, well then I just gave you a little something for your arsenal next time you need to put your students in line :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually i can remember cool one. We had a guy who was monstering some of the less capable and lighter guys. So one of the coaches wrestled him in what consisted of knee rides to neck rides to pretty much everything else. For a five minute round.

Well it would have been a five minute round if one of the other coaches hadn't turned the timer off.
Yeah, that's one of those things that deserves that kind of response.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I think we've had days where sensei decides us college kiddos get too rowdy and he "forgets" to put the timer out. Or he just genuinely forgets the timer. Oh well, he's getting old ;) hope he doesn't frequent this site :eek:

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Actually I have another one. Some guys skipped practice in favor of the bar. Guess they picked the wrong bar cause senseis went in there for a drink after practice. Boy did they get some cardio in next practice :p

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a child our punishment for being late would be to run around the room while the class trains patting our head and rubbing our stomach singing "beep beep i'm a satellite." Now, as a teacher, I prefer to utilize reinforcement systems rather than punishments. Haha

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 'class' of squaddies there is literally nothing you can do that would faze them in the slightest. That said they don't need disciplining, they mess around at times but also work hard so it's never a chore to take a class like that or train with them

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Honestly no one at either of my clubs has ever been disciplined. My kickboxing is mainly always moving apart from a few minutes of showing the combo and the kenpo class does have more instruction but simply no one messes around. Everyone's there to learn and everyone wants to get their money's worth for the lesson and in kenpo everyone's quite a high level there's only 1 student who's below a brown belt

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 'class' of squaddies there is literally nothing you can do that would faze them in the slightest. That said they don't need disciplining, they mess around at times but also work hard so it's never a chore to take a class like that or train with them
I've never needed anything like that with adults. For kids, it is mostly about using up excess energy. There are a lot of ways people approach it - I preferred to just choose high-energy activities that were part of training.

OP
Z

Zoltan97

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They are not punishments. They are advantages.

Think of all the extra sprawls training you are getting.

Sorry but I see pushups as punishment! Rolling with an instructor? Advantage, unless they need to drive a certain point home. But pushups? Torture.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry but I see pushups as punishment! Rolling with an instructor? Advantage, unless they need to drive a certain point home. But pushups? Torture.

you are getting extra arm strength. Which is an advantage.

Latest Discussions