Does it matter part 2 (the sequel lol)

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
great reply, and deff agree with the last part but depending on there teacher they may be limited to ow much you can grow with them, and yes you are deff right about the boxing and wrestling but in todays times they are just that of sport

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed and niether am I but I am a fan of staying with an instructor till you get to the point of where u reach your plato with that instructor so now you have to find someone that can take you further

I would agree with that. Of course a good instructor should always be ahead of their students no matter how the student progresses. The instructor should still be a student too and progressing. I am not sure how good an instructor is, if he stops training and his students pass him up. That would disturb me.

and sometimes the only way to do that is to go to a different style

I almost completely disagree with this part. There should always be someone to carry you further in the art you train in, IMO.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok now here is where I am going IMHO if really it is the same than whats the difference in all actuality our bodies only move certain ways, if you can break down a Kata to make it effective on the street than does your style really matter in short no, so does it matter the style you take in short no. So then if you get the basic concepts down and movements why is it such a big deal when someone gets promoted quickly in an art if they pick up the katas who cares the movements are the same.

Maybe I'm just tired and not following here. I'm assuming you're talking about fighting correct? There is another thread about kata floating around here and if that is all you need. As I said there, IMHO, no, you need more than just kata. Some will say otherwise, and thats fine. :) IMO, if thats all we need, then why have so much other material in an art? Kata, like punching, kicking, grappling, etc., is just a part of the puzzle.

Each style is unique in its own right. Each style will have its own way of punching, blocking, kicking, etc. I don't change the way I apply my material. I dont say, well, I'm fighting a TKD guy so I need to do this, or a Shotokan guy, so I need to do that. That would be like saying, well, here comes a punch to my face. Which technique do I use? You react, plain and simple.

Mike

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Each style is unique in its own right. Each style will have its own way of punching, blocking, kicking, etc. I don't change the way I apply my material. I dont say, well, I'm fighting a TKD guy so I need to do this, or a Shotokan guy, so I need to do that. That would be like saying, well, here comes a punch to my face. Which technique do I use? You react, plain and simple.

Mike

I would agree with that and in that light, no, style does not matter. But the point where you just "react" is after a lot of training.

Where I think style is very important is in the beginning when you 1st start your training. IMH, you have to study a style that you can relate to. That you understand and, for lack of a better term, "buy into". If you do that, you will pick up the principals of the art such that when it comes to it, you will be able to simply react. If you you're involved with a style that just doesn't do it for you (i.e. either you don't know any better or are too lazy to go find something better for YOU), your doomed. People move differently, feel differently, behave differently and have different views on the world. Finding a style that fits YOU as much as possible makes all the difference.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with that and in that light, no, style does not matter. But the point where you just "react" is after a lot of training.

This brings up an interesting question. How much time does it require? 1 month? 8 months? 1 year? 15 yrs? If we look at a system like Krav Maga, they're teaching people effective, simple, easy to remember skills right from the get go. I dont doubt that the longer you train, the better you'll be. A story that I always tell when discussions like this come up. When I would teach, I'd run a technique line to have the class go thru some techs. There were times when I'd intentionally call out an attack that a lower rank did not have a preset defense to. They'd give me that deer in the headlights look. I'd stop and ask them if they knew how to block, move, punch, and kick? They'd say yes. I'd say, good, then do it. I'd explain to them that they already knew the 'basics' so just because they didn't have a set tech. to do, doesnt mean they have to stand there and get hit.

Chances are, we're not going to pull off that text book preset technique. We're going to block and counter. So, technically, it doesnt take 10 yrs., but if this is something that you work on in the beginning, it'll begin to be second nature. The same drill can be done just with their blocks. We can throw strikes randomly, and have them just isolate blocks. Not only does this re-enforce blocking practice, but its training them to be able to react and not think. :)

Where I think style is very important is in the beginning when you 1st start your training. IMH, you have to study a style that you can relate to. That you understand and, for lack of a better term, "buy into". If you do that, you will pick up the principals of the art such that when it comes to it, you will be able to simply react. If you you're involved with a style that just doesn't do it for you (i.e. either you don't know any better or are too lazy to go find something better for YOU), your doomed. People move differently, feel differently, behave differently and have different views on the world. Finding a style that fits YOU as much as possible makes all the difference.

I agree. If someone isnt happy with their training, they're not going to give it 100%. However, in this case, I was under the impression that the thread was taking the turn of one style defending itself against another. I may be wrong on that though.

Mike

Latest Discussions